Started this last weekend - Building OOB apart from some Radub belts

P1010172_zpsrfhzj5ra.jpg

In a complete shock, work starts with the fuselage for a change, but then moves on the cockpit. I've got as far as doing the floor and sides so far - next is the rear bulkhead and the instrument panel

P1010176_zpse3nil27s.jpg

P1010177_zpsz4ojrbjh.jpg

P1010178_zpsz5zgrkys.jpg

P1010179_zpsrtxkp1rn.jpg

Peter

• Like 10

Very good start Peter. You've made a nice job of the detail in the cockpit. I remember Nick's Zero. Very nice it was too. Joe.

• Like 2

I did the A6M5 a few years ago and enjoyed every second; it's a tremendous kit. You are off to a great start and I trust you will enjoy it too,

Excellent start with the cockpit!

Gary

• Like 1

Today's work - the pilot's seat and rear bulkhead

Due to encounters with the carpet monster ended up using the kit vinyl belts as some of the radub PE pinged off into oblivion.

P1010180_zpsrwrvmvlk.jpg

P1010181_zps1joezqde.jpg

Finally fitted into place with the rest of the cockpit

P1010182_zpsozbjsnet.jpg

Peter

• Like 5

Peter,

Great job on the cockpit I think we all have a monster lurking somewhere in our carpet I know I do and it comes out when your not looking !! :banghead:

I have always fancied one of these and do it as a well worn airframe so I will pull up a chair to follow your progress :popcorn:

Guy

Today's work - first up the instrument panel

P1010183_zpsjrwastui.jpg

Then fitted the panel to the main cockpit tub

P1010184_zpsmhjwqwq1.jpg

Next the engine firewall, and the fuel tank and oil tank

P1010185_zps4g37iqcq.jpg

Add the two MG's

P1010186_zpsz2o20lnp.jpg

Finally add the tub to the fuselage

P1010187_zps92kc8ozp.jpg

P1010188_zpsyk7iom3r.jpg

Peter

• Like 6

That looks really good nice details.

Guy

Wow there is some great detail in that kit, looks like it will turn out to be a bit of a beast!

Cracking work with the painting of all that lovely details

Rob

Bit more done today - first made up the elevators and rudder - all workable, slight blob of glue got away from me so needed a small smear of Mr Surfacer 1200

P1010190_zps9rw7abay.jpg

Then moved onto the wing - the oil cooler and the working U/C doors

P1010192_zps7hir1qss.jpg

The working parts are nice, but fiddly and take time but it's all part of the fun.

Peter

• Like 2

This is looking good.

Guy

Today's exploits in the shed - fun and games with a few springs, bent wires and recalcitrant plastic. However once done ended up with a completed wheel well complete with working retraction.

Open

P1010193_zpscmpwmzzt.jpg

Closed

P1010194_zpsjdp0za46.jpg

Peter

• Like 1

Rear cockpit decking was blue-black like the cowling not the interior colour and if it is going to be a Pearl Harbor bird all were MItsubishi built with the wheel wells painted in the external amber grey colour.

Nick

• Like 1

Rear cockpit decking was blue-black like the cowling not the interior colour and if it is going to be a Pearl Harbor bird all were MItsubishi built with the wheel wells painted in the external amber grey colour.

Nick

Thanks - easy fix, just going on the Tamiya instructions but happy to be corrected. Yes it will be a Pearl Harbour bird, from Zuikaku

Undercarriage details for a Mitsubishi-built A6M2:-

Wheel wells and wheel covers (both sides) all airframe colour. Retracting yoke on inner doors is gloss black. Wheel struts gloss black with bright silver chrome oleos. Torque links painted aluminium. Wheel hubs painted aluminium. Tailwheel assembly airframe colour.Tail wheel well aotake - can't recall whether Tamiya include the canvas "boot" which was dark green or black. Tail hook gloss black front mounting and hook, shaft either aotake or airframe colour.

One other detail that often gets missed is that whilst the propeller blades were polished natural metal with very dark brown painted rear faces the spinner was painted aluminium over red-brown primer.

Nick

• Like 1

Undercarriage details for a Mitsubishi-built A6M2:-

Wheel wells and wheel covers (both sides) all airframe colour. Retracting yoke on inner doors is gloss black. Wheel struts gloss black with bright silver chrome oleos. Torque links painted aluminium. Wheel hubs painted aluminium. Tailwheel assembly airframe colour.Tail wheel well aotake - can't recall whether Tamiya include the canvas "boot" which was dark green or black. Tail hook gloss black front mounting and hook, shaft either aotake or airframe colour.

One other detail that often gets missed is that whilst the propeller blades were polished natural metal with very dark brown rear faces the spinner was painted aluminium over red-brown primer.

Nick

Thanks a lot for that lot - very helpful.

Ah ok. Other then DMC who else has 1/32 scale Japanese WW2 instrument decals?

Edited by hacker