Saab J 29F Tunnan, Hobbyboss 1/48 (1/52)

Bjorn

And so this flying barrell is finished:

22937316185_625103cba4_c.jpg

For those of you that have not seen my WIP, (here), here is a brief summary of this model. And let us start with the positive side. First: It looks like a Tunnan. And maybe that is the most important thing. AZ Models J 29 did not. Fit is also terrific, no problems at all, which makes it very easy to build, almost a weekend project.

22924786452_3ff369f21a_c.jpg

Surface detailing is fine and crisp and panel lines are correct. Cockpit is fairly good detailed as well as the wheel wells. It has a nice boxart, and the box is also very nice, made from - what I can see - very reliable cardboard. The plastic bags that contains the sprues seems to be of good quality, and... and...

22518957367_4ee9e286a4_c.jpg

OK. Let's switch to the dark side. Decals are the worst I have ever seen on this side of 1970. And although it looks like a Tunnan, it has minor shape errors almost everywhere - however you have to be a Tunnan expert to see them all (I could not). Most annoying is that the air intake is too large. Another shape error is a continuous line from nose to exhaust, the real Tunnan has a more flat belly. But hey, still it looks like a Tunnan. The worst error is however that it is too small, about 1/52 scale. A bit sad is that the main wheels and the ejection seat seems to be in 1/48.

22519943527_9c7452399f_c.jpg

SInce the decals were useless, i used decals from my spares box. Some of them are in fact from different 1/72 sheets.

22519998127_7cc8284500_c.jpg

I painted it with Tamiya colours, the green is a mix of a number of different green and grey shades.

22923893162_6c3b9c04d4_c.jpg

22518953947_9272c2cbcf_c.jpg

Most is OOB. The only additions are seat belts, the red handle on the seat and brake wires on the main gears.

22316168133_3f9c591296_c.jpg

22923894842_b6d498abd7_c.jpg

In a few weeks Pilot Replicas will release their version if the same subject. It will be much more expensive, but also much more correct (I have seen it, it is amazing!) and you do not have to fix decals on your own.

Anyone who wants to build a perfect model of this iconic aircraft should turn to their release. But for those of you that find it is too expensive (HB's Tunnan is about 3/5 of the price of PR), want a fairly enjoyable build and are satisfied with a model that in most people's eyes looks like a Tunnan, this one could be a good choice.

So to quote myself from the WIP thread: The conclusion for this model is that it, apart from the decals, is a terrific kit for all the lovers of 1/52 scale.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 14

That's a beautiful build and finish, Björn! Of course, those of us familiar with your work expected nothing else. And thank you for the heads up about the kit's issues! No point in wasting money there if you want an accurate 29.

Our hope now lies with the Pilot Replicas J 29F. It should be in exact 1:48th scale, anyway. ;-)

I do hope that they've got her belly right.

As can be seen on this pretty profile photo, her ventral profile is dead straight under the wing and then straight again up to the afterburner cone.

Tunnan_straight%20belly%20lines_zpss6iy3

This important characteristic of the old girl is missed out on most drawings and kits. In fact, one of the few that got is right is Heller's venerable 1:72nd kit of the J 29E/S 29C.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Beautiful work Bjorn. It was a pleasure to watch your progress through this kit and detailing the issues with it. The end result has served to increase my anticipation of the Pilot Replicas kit and I hope we can watch you work on it soon so we can all pick up tips of how to deal with it and increase our knowledge of the type.

Hello,Bjorn - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Tunnan'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.The model may have had some issues but what I see is a fine tribute to this charismatic aircraft and this reminded me of the 'Tunnan' I saw at WADDINGTON Airshow the other year.All the best,Paul.