Definately a Cormorant and not a shag - Completed at last, final pics!!!!!

Greetings all

Just a very quick update, I have been working mainly on the ancilliary stuff that hangs off the side, first was the HF (I think) aerial. The kit provided one is completely wrong apart from a couple of the supports. The MK1 is also completely different apart from the front support. So the intent was to use the kit supports and run my own aerial. The first thing to do was drill the supports to accept the aerial as this would make mounting it easier

100_4104_zpsri05oyc7.jpg

100_4105_zpsjkgrwkap.jpg

This was the finished product painted ready for fitment

100_4106_zpsy2nul0sl.jpg

I will fit it AFTER I have removed the panel wash, as I only really want to fit it once! Next I looked at mounting the rotor head, but the kit swashplate isn't really big enough

100_4119_zpssyhxsr3c.jpg

Those round protusions should be in contact with the yellow disc (swashplate) but come nowhere near and it is quite bovious when finished that the rotor head is not connected to the swashplate! So I made a disc out of plastic card, slightly bigger than the diameter to make contact with each rod. I then cut away material to produce a disc with 5 lugs (and forgot to take a photo!). This would be the upper disc. I then did the same underneath this time with 4 lugs (to accomodate the servo jacks and one would have a set of scissors attached........and again forgot to take a picture!). I stuck these together, cut out the center and made 3 servo jacks. These were simply square rod drilled and plastic rod inserted, nothing fancy just to give the impression if anything were to be see..........which it can't but never mind!

So before painting

100_4120_zpseow8z4pk.jpg

And finally affixed to the rotor head

100_4125_zpsikd6zbkp.jpg

Unfortunately this is the only rotor head position that you can see anything underneath but I think the swashplate looks better

Finally it was time to see how she would fit in on her rightful place on the rotor shelf

100_4127_zpstfumtrtv.jpg

I will keep her up there out the way for now whilst I work on the winch, nightsun and every other project! I am waiting for a warmish day (above freezing!) to enable me to apply a finishing coat. In the meantime I may just tone down that panel wash on the black panels!

Thats all for now

Bob

• Like 7

Just a very quick update, no construction has taken place due to other projects on the go, but the weather did warm up slightly (above freezing) and I thought I would take the opportunity to lay down another clear coat. I decided to go for a matt coat with my Model Master flat coat as to my eye this gives a nice finish. If it turns out too flat I can always lay another smoother layer. Having said that I do like this finish, it takes away the gloss coat which to me look a little toy like and tones down the yellow a bit. So here is where I am at the mo

100_4173_zpsda7lr3gb.jpg

100_4172_zpscq1fhsex.jpg

100_4176_zpseiniijor.jpg

Next up will be masking up for the non skid areas, which are quite numerous. I will just slap some matt black on these with a hairy stick to replicate the thickly applied real stuff.

I have also noticed that the windscreen is a mess, but fear not this was just a dummy that I fitted for the spraying to save masking off the cockpit! Also still not sure about that panel line on the rear upper fairing that looks like a lightning bolt, should really have toned that one down.

So now the spraying has been done, it will be onwards and upwards......kind of!

Laters

Bob

• Like 4

Like that a lot!

Thanks!

Just another small update, I have mainly been concentrating on the non skid areas. Each individual area is masked off and then thickly coated in Humbrol Matt 33. The paint in this tin is on its last legs but is ideal for non skid! I am halfway through at this point, the hardest marking is the fire panels on the top of the engine covers where the decal needs masking off.

100_4181_zpshqr2voby.jpg

More to follow soon :thumbsup:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning yall

Just a very quick update this week. I did manage to get a bit more work done. First up was the night sun, a prominent lump that hangs precariously off the side. This was a larger piece of tube slipped over a bit of rod. One end was recessed slightly and a metal disc inserted to represent the light reflector. I then blobbed some Krystal Klear in there for the lens (hence why it has a white lens in the photos as it is still wet!). The frame is just shaped plastic card and then a wire added which will disappear into a receptical in the airframe. This was followed with a good coat of Vallejo black

100_4215_zpsiu5udmok.jpg

100_4216_zpskdhwmgvr.jpg

And fitted in place

100_4217_zpssblzt37c.jpg

I also wanted to replace the pilots side window as the kit version looks very chunky. I replaced this with sheet acetate in two halves. The rear part is recessed slightly and the front section slides back over the rear section. To add a little more interest I decided to open the windows. First the right hand side

100_4214_zpsytgclbyo.jpg

And the left - also note on this side I have an extra pitot tube from the spares box and have also added the blades for the ice indicator. The smaller windows here have been filled with Krystal Klear and it isn't quite dry on this side. It has since dried but I may have to redo the larger one as it has air bubbles in it.

100_4213_zpsqzxg3j9t.jpg

Just a note on the side windows I replaced with acetate. The flash appears to have highlighted the edges very lightly. With hindsight I should have painted the edges black and I may go back and redo that as it doesn't look great in the phots. I also tried to do the cabin windows in Krystal Klear, but despite numerous attempts on my Merlin test bed it seems I cannot get it to work so am back to the drawing board on that!

That's all for now

Bob

• Like 5

ah... nite suns... lovely creatures.

Nice job on the windows - I like the fact that you opted to leave them open. (It might be worth giving the edges a once over with micromesh to remove any sharp edges or stress marks

nice build!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great WIP Bob I,ll reference it during my build.I,ve decided to close the Cormorant up completely so no work on the rear

compartment other than colouring,my next issue is those bubble windows on the front fuselage I have neither the means or skill to replicate

them so that lack of accuracy will have to remain other than that I will add as much detail as I can take photo's and your continuing build.

Beautiful job on her so far!

Edited by stevej60

Lovely work Bob, great big torch hanging off the side makes it look really workmanlike

I'm not sure how much size difference the is but I did manage to get Krystal Kleer to work on the two starboard windows of my Short's Sherpa

Eventually, it took a couple of goes in a warmish atmosphere

But I have to hand it to you, it is a lovely shag

Oops sorry I mean Cormorant

;)

Edited by perdu

• 2 months later...

Good morning all,

Well I finally dug this out of the deepest, darkest depths of April and have actually done a touch more work on this. I knocked up a hoist from some square plastic rod, which started up looking a bit like this,

002_zpsiawfo0ub.jpg

I shaped accordingly and fitted the stays. I need to add some hooks inside, the cormorant has a double hoist so I'll be looking at two of them. I fitted one set of bubble windows and have seem to have misplaced the other set for the rear so I will go on searching for those. The front canopy and overhanging fairing have also been secured in, I have a set of etch wipers to fit later. I also got some Aluminium tubing (6mm) to replace the exhausts, I put a small bend in it, and cut to size. The good thing about this tubing is I can be quite ruthless with thinning the edge, so it looks nice and sharp. I painted the insides to give them a sooty appearance and polished the outside to give a dull ally look. The actual exhausts would be a bit more tarnished and maybe a bit darker, but I think it looks ok for now. I just have the 3 ejectors from the kit exhausts to fit and tidy up that back plate. Here is what she looks like now

100_4468_zpshde4mifj.jpg

100_4469_zpsii4oj6vm.jpg

100_4470_zpsey8vjgyf.jpg

and finally a close up on those exhausts

100_4471_zpsophipcvp.jpg

Its all starting to come together now, I'm just wary of picking it up without knocking anything off! The next area to sort will be inside the ramp area and fitting that ramp, but for now that'll be all!

Bob

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

This has been languishing on my shelf for that last couple of months just waiting for that final push to completion. Every time I looked at it something would fall off and it drove me mad in the end but eventually I managed to summon the courage (and gentleness) to finally wrap it up. The phots have come out alright but to my eye she looks a bit untidy and messy, I don't know if that is because of all the ancilliary things hanging off it. I am now a bit tired of helo's, having all those dangly breakable bits has really turned me off........apart from the Wessy (X3) GB starting next week(ish), oh and my Lynx, Seaking, Hinds (X2), etc, etc. Oh well looks like a few more choppers in the mix! I will post a couple of pics here very soon ( I was going to do it but my computer is being a pain!) so stand by.......

20161025_184334_zpsk8vvbpja.jpg

20161025_184349_zpshminxlmw.jpg

20161025_184608_zpsptd6qupj.jpg

More in RFI later 😊

Bob

PS. There is one very deliberate mistake (that I only discovered in the photos!) so a special brownie point if you can spot that!

Edited by moaning dolphin
Add pics
  • Like 7