The Barnsley Whitley

P1020635_zps8rhta3zp.jpg

My Whitley finished.

Depicts the Whitley of Sgt Alexander Hollingworth (RAAF) being readied for its last mission at RAF Dalton on 5 January, 1942.

Z9289 was one of three 102 Squadron Whitleys that took off at 4.30am the following morning to attack the Cherbourg docks. Hollingworth’s aircraft developed engine trouble over France and he opted to return to Dalton rather than the nearest airfield. (Some accounts have Hollingworth shutting down the engine although I didn’t think a Whitley could fly for too long on one). Over Derbyshire, with the Whitley losing height, the bombs were jettisoned on moors to the south of Sheffield. The faulty engine then caught fire.

Approaching Barnsley, Sgt Hazeldine, Sgt Brain, Sgt Jackson bailed out in the Dodwoth Rd/Locke Park area. Sgt Buchanan left too late and his chute became entanged with the chimney of a waste incinerator near West St. and he was killed. Sgt Hollingworth stayed with the aircraft and died as he put the Whitley down into Cresswell quarry after avoiding terrace houses in Cresswell St.

Some aircraft parts including a section of prop and crew documents are now on display at The Barnsley Museum.

Thanks to those on here that helped with this. I opted to go with DY -‘G’ as the squadron records didn’t record the a/c letter and ‘G’ is shown on the memorial plaque in Cresswell St.

As a strange footnote , the land where Z9289 came down was, in the 17th century, owned by John Hollingworth - an ancestor of Alexander Hollingworth.

Thanks for looking.

P1020650_zpssw1pthky.jpg

P1020632_zpsfva72qps.jpgP1020652_zpss7y0i6ki.jpg

• Like 40

Thanks for all your kind words.

The Whitley was a joy to build. I think it shows how far the Airfix new tools have come, because I had a go at the new tool Gladiator after this and it was like some beast from another age. The only real problem I had with the Whitley was getting the radiators into the engine nacelles.

Took me a while to do the diorama as there’s always the temptation to cram in too much and overwhelm the aircraft. What I’d really like to see is some new 1/72 ground crew. The old Airfix stuff is nicely detailed but the flash and that plastic make it hard work.

Decided not to go with canopy masking on this and painted the frames in acrylic tidied up with a sharp cocktail stick – worked a treat. Also held back on the weathering (Z9289 was only delivered in November)