Converting the Airfix 1/32 E Type - Lightweight - How to do it

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Although I'll probably never build this I do enjoy your posts, Roy. I'm sure I'm not the only one. The techniques here could be applied to other alloy-bodied cars, not just the Airfix Jag.

Thank you for posting, it's been interesting and educational, definitely not a waste of time.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Roy, I have been away for a while following the arrival of double trouble two years ago, but now they are off to nursery soon I thought this would be a great project back into the hobby (again!). Sourced a kit and will sort out the templates next then add some piccies here of the progress. Hopefully I am not too late to get the project to completion. As always a joy to watch your work

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Roy please complete this . I just joined the forum and I am doing this as a ' 'Shaguar' I am very interested in what you doing and would love to approach mine in a similar way.

As you can see. Just starting.

20170712_145901

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've just picked up the Revell repop of the ancient Aurora E Type hardtop (still quite a nice kit, BTW, if a little primitive in places), which I intend doing as one of the Cunningham Le Mans cars. There's a lot in here that will be very useful - thanks, Roy!

• 4 months later...
  • Mike unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

OK, I saw this thread quite a while back and always hoped that Roy would finish it. I even got hold of an Old Airfix kit ready for the conversion.

Maybe with the information below it would be enough to make it a Sticky How To Guide🤷‍♂️

I messaged Roy to ask him about the use of the washers etc and he was kind enough to provide me with the basic details and more importantly the final steps for conversion of this kit.

So now, anyone who wishes may use this guide and achieve what Roy set out to help so many with a long time ago. The information that follows is solely the work of @roymattblack and all credit must go to him.

So from me: Thank you Roy.

Firstly the wheels and a quote from the email from Roy about the wheels:

The washers are so you can turn the wheels around and glue them in the recess on the back.

Then file/grind the spoke face of the wheel centre much lower so you can add the wheels the wrong way round. When painted they make a reasonable version of steel Dunlops.

Washers glued in the back of the wheels (I believe the sharpie was used here also to create the drilled look) I also think he has added the smaller nut in the centres

FDEzeZy4MbFCZ_oD_Kijy5dxQHQT8jyMju_11GSn

The old fronts filed down to allow reverse fitment

z9QOt4bpyxwXOK4ao88dUbTU3eDs3-1aVTYnH5dd

What follows now is 3 possible ways to complete the conversion

Option 1 - The lightweight that was started (all be it in a different livery than foiled)

NB: The extra plasticard on the roof and also just behind the front wheels on the sills.

7x90hC0Im0GB08H8CNGnIUOz7N4hYA-YapLXsnCp

Efb_0n-cL1BfoBO16n1egozROMxL2MaAHWYHXygG

Option 2 - 

vkTy3NEq6qBFLh8fD4DqdYvTcxIpxLHDojWx8fMJ

4sIjFMxQFI0jzI4HrDnVJG7APEovQCkM-5uhsRsd

T0EJi4mkdCWDa_EToEmTAShewaKBevkcfEd_zrf3

nYyRTUaW8gyZ5O0A7RKIBkjUPIF42JKAMYwNFkEI

fuJYdhlNVqPSLCkaKViazP5MIQQlMg3hunoGfI9h

SYJQxNlgBXXzC1csRPpJydJ4KF9epBhR5ebmSocD

b0PLLv1gTTQSloqYu6mBZwucKi0CvyhvOZF16leL

4FuzrxXr9kPT5Mr0xUjtP_DYWM3E-32QQBirG7UV

_vQZZEMl0ovNpOdIc90HE22tm3GZoG83pRduJ_ju

9kLbeGeKdLsH4Fmo22rzwAMMXyH26QbcFueU_EGa

Option 3 - its possible the dressmakers pin was used here to create the rivets seen on the body 

R7A1e6BoUhePzqFpFwBffgtMwNHBXtBmeldO8sjN

Lw_cyzf49ednrYXnyBY10_TWg4kfethu8FLV44WL

PUoE9qhsPrWuc92ero_1A2aPVAbd9Fk5ihEru_Pa

CMRx5KYQRLFFCHQayfVlNYTP09063_f1Gd4Xg4ww

jTE4CuXLe4zpBESfLgG2DKNakFDboVndxn_mMI4Z

KWXVAuaPTIdnFUBaHw8LGftva9LZkBG57NRkqFEf

8uXF_f5sVmukM9CGYh-o3tfhGLLP3NBsKPMCmdHf

sfG9oH6I7_Kc55eAVWlumSYH8fcjVk0yYXj10R31

B426kvPD0ljf0kzfJEIJ5HRMQ2OU9GMmlf4a8_2b

All images can be found here also: Shared Album

Kindest Regards,

Coops