This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Romeo Alpha Yankee

Lockheed NP-3D (EATS) Orion: VX-30

This is a Hasegawa NP-3D (EATS) Orion.

It is used as a missile range tracking aircraft and operated by the USN's VX-30 Bloodhounds.

I have a couple of these in the stash and was not keen on the kit scheme so I decided to finish it in the current scheme.

I used mainly the kit decals sheet supplemented by the Wolfhound graphic on the tail from an F/A-18 sheet (1/48 scale). I added the mostly correct antenna fit with a few scratch built blades and existing kit antenna.

The kit includes a resin EATS radar panel and shortened 'stinger'. HF wire antennas are Eziline,

37144408990_a29030b249_b.jpg

37144408710_57315b4f48_b.jpg

36692739134_86d3d5068e_b.jpg

37144410220_a9e3b3a61f_b.jpg

23549418118_1d346f2397_b.jpg

37144409930_59cc47250e_b.jpg

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Image links updated

Nice work indeed, not too sure about the looks of the tail-fairing.........we really do need a 1/72 scale Lockheed Electra though!!

Edited by RODH2

RODH2, on 12 Nov 2015 - 03:51 AM, said:

Nice work indeed, not too sure about the looks of the tail-fairing.........we really do need a 1/72 scale Lockheed Electra though!!

Such as this one?

Great job on an unusual subject, really nice work

Very nice TT, I especially like the different look of the EATS Orion, it stands out that little bit more.......

(until placed beside one that was painted red and white) :coolio: . Great models,

Sean

Hello,Trojan Thunder - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Orion'.Together with her stablemate,I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and both models make an impressive line up.All the best,Paul.

Very nicely done, never seen one of these built up, gives it a very ungainly look though, I wonder what the flying characteristics were like

It's probably a lot more directionally stable than a stock aircraft, and a bit more prone to weathercocking when landing in a crosswind, but otherwise it's likely not terribly noticeable in flight.

Very unusual subject, but beautifully made!

It's probably a lot more directionally stable than a stock aircraft, and a bit more prone to weathercocking when landing in a crosswind, but otherwise it's likely not terribly noticeable in flight.

I bet it rolls like a beggar!

Very nicely done - the pair of them.

Cheers,

Mike

Both look great. Nice choice of subjects.

Love it!

Nice work, they both look the business! I've got one in the stash to do as a CP-140 very soon once my Cormorant is finished. Looks like they build into decent looking models!

Bob

Nice work, they both look the business! I've got one in the stash to do as a CP-140 very soon once my Cormorant is finished. Looks like they build into decent looking models!

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I also have a CP-140 to do in one of the Fincastle schemes. I rather like the scheme on the CP1-40s. Next one on the bench is an 11SQN RAAF P-3B

Its still manages to hold on to it's good looks, despite that fin fairing!

Love that fire bomber :wub:

Cheers

John

Its still manages to hold on to it's good looks, despite that fin fairing!

Love that fire bomber :wub:

Cheers

John

Cheers John, that other build was done back in 2011.

Here is a link to the RFI Thread