Lockheed NP-3D (EATS) Orion: VX-30

This is a Hasegawa NP-3D (EATS) Orion.

It is used as a missile range tracking aircraft and operated by the USN's VX-30 Bloodhounds.

I have a couple of these in the stash and was not keen on the kit scheme so I decided to finish it in the current scheme.

I used mainly the kit decals sheet supplemented by the Wolfhound graphic on the tail from an F/A-18 sheet (1/48 scale). I added the mostly correct antenna fit with a few scratch built blades and existing kit antenna.

The kit includes a resin EATS radar panel and shortened 'stinger'. HF wire antennas are Eziline,

37144408990_a29030b249_b.jpg

37144408710_57315b4f48_b.jpg

36692739134_86d3d5068e_b.jpg

37144410220_a9e3b3a61f_b.jpg

23549418118_1d346f2397_b.jpg

37144409930_59cc47250e_b.jpg

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Image links updated
  • Like 38

Very nice TT, I especially like the different look of the EATS Orion, it stands out that little bit more.......

(until placed beside one that was painted red and white) :coolio: . Great models,

Sean

• Like 1

Hello,Trojan Thunder - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Orion'.Together with her stablemate,I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and both models make an impressive line up.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Very unusual subject, but beautifully made!

It's probably a lot more directionally stable than a stock aircraft, and a bit more prone to weathercocking when landing in a crosswind, but otherwise it's likely not terribly noticeable in flight.

I bet it rolls like a beggar!
  • Like 1

Nice work, they both look the business! I've got one in the stash to do as a CP-140 very soon once my Cormorant is finished. Looks like they build into decent looking models!

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I also have a CP-140 to do in one of the Fincastle schemes. I rather like the scheme on the CP1-40s. Next one on the bench is an 11SQN RAAF P-3B