Chieftain Markings - Union Jack

SaintsPhil

I'm at the decalling stage on the Takom Chieftain and, despite there only being a handful, I have a question!

When was the Union Jack applied to the tank? The colour/decal placement guide doesn't show them on the Green/Black option but some photos show them applied and others don't, should they be there?

Thanks

Phil

Union Jacks were only on vehicles working within NATO. But check photos. The regiment that I was with 9/12th Royal Lancers had UJs on Left wing and unit identification on right, other regiments within the Osnabruck Location carried no UJs(My troop of Stalwarts carried none), some vehicles had them central at the rear, others visa versa...............can of worms...........Berlin Chieftains I note carried UJs on the right

Plenty of info in Tankograd BAOR vehicles of the British Army of the Rhine 1945-1979.............all Chieftains, Centurions and Conquerors in the book have the UJs on the left and on the right Unit identification(Black numerals on white square - ours was 12/2)

Hi Phil

having searched my British armour books union jacks appear on the right wing(odd exception)in the 80s but by early 90s it's gone, couldn't find any pics of that unit but a Paderborn Chieftain in 92 only had Reg number. Hope that helps a bit

Darren

Most of the ref pics I have of Stillbrew Chieftains do not show a Union Jack, but for Exercise Keystone in '87 the Union Jack was on the left front track guard. RTR vehicles from '89 to '95 have no UJ and neither do the Cavalry vehicles. Of course there has to be an exception!

Dave