Airfix 2016 announcement put back to Monday 16th Nov.

Rob P

My nearest outlet for Airfix kits is a branch of the Toymaster franchise. The Model section is a veritable two-tone wall of colour, Blue (Revell) to the left and Red (Airfix) to the right and a handful of Tamiya and Italeri kits in the middle. The other side of the shop is all Hornby and Scalextric and between the two walls is one of those Hornby train sets. The Sales assistant is a modeller and our weekly discussions are usually about why hasn't received the latest Airfix release and just how many hours has that loco been running. (2000 - 3000 hours on average before failure). the shop is apparently a Hornby concession and only once have I seen it receive a new release before the big H, the norm is a month or two delay. Sales are a mix of enthusiasts, relatives buying presents and school kids looking for a project (for which the assistant provides advice in an attempt to prevent disappointment). The kits might not fly off the shelves but they do shift a fair number over a week. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for the new releases.

Agree. I do think Airfix have a very good strategy right now and I suspect part of this is down to the way that Hornby changed their own marketing strategy for model trains some years back. Maintain some of the old favorites (and so-called 'starter sets' like the Flying Scotsman etc) whilst introducing a new range of highly detailed and accurate scale replicas for the discerning connoisseur. I believe Airfix are now applying the same principles, and perhaps even going one better. They are bringing out up to date, accurate renditions of the so-called 'pocket money' kits that will appeal not only to children but also adult builders who appreciate a 21st Century update of their favourite kit from the past, combined with 'high end' kits, such as the 1:24 scale Typhoon and Mosquito, 1:12 scale Bentley and 1:72 scale Shackleton etc. As another co-respondent has also put, there is little doubt that box art and overall presentation also sells kits.just look at some of the rather mediocre Hasegawa kits that still sell because of the box art compared with some superb renditions from Eastern Europe that still struggle in the market due to poor packaging. I think perhaps the only part that is missing from the Airfix strategy is the broader coverage via newsagents etc. I regularly travel to Germany and have been amazed at some of the places where I have found Revell kits on sale..garden centres, garage forecourts, DIY stores, stationery shops etc..every branch of every department store chain (Muller, for example) also seems to stock a relatively decent range of Revell kits, together with paints, glues etc.

Absolutely agree, as a kid I spent a lot of time in Germany due to older family being based there (wildenrath), almost every 'supermarket' I went into had a mass of Revell kits and also trains. When was the last time Tesco or sainsburys stocked model kits? They all stock a small selection of Lego and toys cars and you rarely see the isle empty of kids rummaging through it, this is where the youngsters spend their pocket money whilst parents do the shopping! In my opinion Airfix would do well to look at this as a way forward, buying a kit whilst shopping so the kids have got something to do when they get home (whilst mum or dad put the shopping away, it doesn't take long but a kid can do a lot of damage to plastic kit in an hour!!).

I'm a sales rep myself and keep hoping to find an advert for "wanted Airfix rep", this would be one of my targets, supermarkets, local newsagents etc. We live 2 minutes walk from The Grampian Transport Museum and there's not a plastic kit to be seen in their souvenir shop - why?

Start at ground level, make the entry level kits easy to find and cheap to buy and as someone else said "the kids will get hooked", then they'll start going to model shops, looking online perhaps and buying bigger more expensive sets!

• Like 2

Absolutely agree, as a kid I spent a lot of time in Germany due to older family being based there (wildenrath), almost every 'supermarket' I went into had a mass of Revell kits and also trains. When was the last time Tesco or sainsburys stocked model kits? They all stock a small selection of Lego and toys cars and you rarely see the isle empty of kids rummaging through it, this is where the youngsters spend their pocket money whilst parents do the shopping! In my opinion Airfix would do well to look at this as a way forward, buying a kit whilst shopping so the kids have got something to do when they get home (whilst mum or dad put the shopping away, it doesn't take long but a kid can do a lot of damage to plastic kit in an hour!!).

I'm a sales rep myself and keep hoping to find an advert for "wanted Airfix rep", this would be one of my targets, supermarkets, local newsagents etc. We live 2 minutes walk from The Grampian Transport Museum and there's not a plastic kit to be seen in their souvenir shop - why?

Start at ground level, make the entry level kits easy to find and cheap to buy and as someone else said "the kids will get hooked", then they'll start going to model shops, looking online perhaps and buying bigger more expensive sets!

You raise an interesting point which I totally forgot to include in my post. Two years ago (over Christmas) we spent the holidays at home in Edinburgh and I came across a 'basket' of Airfix starter sets in our local Aldi supermarket. They had around 6-8 different aircraft/tank kits and I spent some time in the shop, during which time the kits were being eagerly snapped up. Yes, it was the holiday season with people having more time on their hands and the kits were very well priced but even if 10% of the 'casual' purchasers were hooked, it was a move in the right direction towards promoting the hobby.

I also grew up with browsing kits at the local toy stores and department stores, it's a shame the hobby doesn't have that kind of exposure anymore.

The problem with the disappearance of kits from the high street extends beyond kits. Music and books are becoming a rarity as well as trading in many of these products has shifted to the internet. At least for books and music there are digital alternatives, but for kits there aren't.

You do wonder if the digital option for kits will stay at zero. How about in future downloading a kit to print out on your new 3D printer?

I really hope that never happens!

Cheers, Ray

You do wonder if the digital option for kits will stay at zero. How about in future downloading a kit to print out on your new 3D printer?

I really hope that never happens!

Cheers, Ray

Potentially it can happen. If 3D printers is used for other "common" tasks then printing out a kit can be included. However it's likely to come at a time I'm no longer on this earth or have retired from the hobby.

Some aftermarket items are already created using 3D printers. I expect the first kits based on this technology are not far away, maybe a year or two. I don't see why there wouldn't be a market for the files themselves if personal 3D printing takes off.

We live 2 minutes walk from The Grampian Transport Museum and there's not a plastic kit to be seen in their souvenir shop - why?

Not been in the museum for years but that's a good question. Last time I was up in Alford I noticed Gordon's had a few Airfix kits in the window so perhaps they've cornered that section of the market?

Not been in the museum for years but that's a good question. Last time I was up in Alford I noticed Gordon's had a few Airfix kits in the window so perhaps they've cornered that section of the market?

Gordon's is just round the corner from us and you are correct they did have some kits, in fact about 2 months ago they must have had a visit from the Airfix rep because they suddenly had an enormous selection of starter kits, lower series kits and a few larger ones, it was a very well placed display just as you walk in the door and extremely well merchandised. Whether they did it themselves or whether it was a rep I don't know but it worked because within weeks they had nearly cleared the stock (and there must have been a good 80 odd kits to start with), with Alford being a small village I thought that was pretty good going but when I last when in (a couple of weeks ago) still no stock replenishment!! Again, I don't know if this is down to the Airfix rep, lack of one or the shop themselves but for me it sums up the problem.

I took my son back round to look for another kit (he wanted the Gnat he saw when he bought the previous kit) and there was nothing to choose from, he ended up buying Lego the next day at Tesco's. I can try to teach patients but he wanted something to do at the weekend and wasn't going to wait until the big H delivered a Gnat on Tuesday ha ha.

More sales reps, more feet on the ground pushing local retailers and they'll get the sales from kids!!

• Like 1

Gordon's is just round the corner from us and you are correct they did have some kits, in fact about 2 months ago they must have had a visit from the Airfix rep because they suddenly had an enormous selection of starter kits, lower series kits and a few larger ones, it was a very well placed display just as you walk in the door and extremely well merchandised. Whether they did it themselves or whether it was a rep I don't know but it worked because within weeks they had nearly cleared the stock (and there must have been a good 80 odd kits to start with), with Alford being a small village I thought that was pretty good going but when I last when in (a couple of weeks ago) still no stock replenishment!! Again, I don't know if this is down to the Airfix rep, lack of one or the shop themselves but for me it sums up the problem.

I took my son back round to look for another kit (he wanted the Gnat he saw when he bought the previous kit) and there was nothing to choose from, he ended up buying Lego the next day at Tesco's. I can try to teach patients but he wanted something to do at the weekend and wasn't going to wait until the big H delivered a Gnat on Tuesday ha ha.

More sales reps, more feet on the ground pushing local retailers and they'll get the sales from kids!!

I was tempted to have a look out of curiosity in but always seem to end up in Alford on a Sunday or evenings when visiting the in-laws. Can remember as a kid it was usually Matchbox kits they stocked when the shop was further up in the centre of the village - mind you that was at a time before the Transport Museum existed. In fact that was a time when you could stand at the fountain and see fields behind the one line of houses :lol:

I once spoke to Karen at Models Unlimited in Inverurie (well worth a look if you've not been in yet) about how often they had reps visit and she mentioned that the Airfix rep has the whole of Scotland to cover so doesn't get round much. Perhaps he put in a display and hasn't had a chance to return so with Gordon's closing in the next year or so James and the staff aren't too fussed about pursuing further commitment with them. I've also heard Airfix requires quite a high initial order of kits to become a stockist so that may explain why Gordon's got such a lot of kits in at first.

Some aftermarket items are already created using 3D printers. I expect the first kits based on this technology are not far away, maybe a year or two.

They've been available for a few years. Nothing terribly mainstream, but there's been an Ariel Atom on Shapeways for a while, a few other cars and tabletop gaming kits, and a bunch of model railroad stuff.

I once spoke to Karen at Models Unlimited in Inverurie (well worth a look if you've not been in yet) about how often they had reps visit and she mentioned that the Airfix rep has the whole of Scotland to cover so doesn't get round much.

Love that shop, I usually clear them out of 1/144 stuff when I'm in, Karens probably sick of hearing me moan about how I cant build the tiny ones anymore but for some reason I still ask her to get more in!! Problem when I go in is that I always get drawn to the 32nd Tornado in the display case and have to spend the next 30 minutes talking myself out of jumping to the "big' scale!!

Regarding the Airfix rep situation, we tend to get that alot with sales reps up here, its as if the company thinks Scotland's not a particularly big area to cover but as you probably know yourself Col, the distance between major towns and cities is huge. There should be at least 2 guys covering either north and south or west coast and east coast. I've tried to find a link on their website for uploading CV's or even an address for recruitment in the hope they going to start taking on more reps at some point. I'll happily cover the north of Scotland I think there's a lot of potential up here - what else have we got to do when the snow hits than build models!!

• Like 1

Love that shop, I usually clear them out of 1/144 stuff when I'm in, Karens probably sick of hearing me moan about how I cant build the tiny ones anymore but for some reason I still ask her to get more in!! Problem when I go in is that I always get drawn to the 32nd Tornado in the display case and have to spend the next 30 minutes talking myself out of jumping to the "big' scale!!

Regarding the Airfix rep situation, we tend to get that alot with sales reps up here, its as if the company thinks Scotland's not a particularly big area to cover but as you probably know yourself Col, the distance between major towns and cities is huge. There should be at least 2 guys covering either north and south or west coast and east coast. I've tried to find a link on their website for uploading CV's or even an address for recruitment in the hope they going to start taking on more reps at some point. I'll happily cover the north of Scotland I think there's a lot of potential up here - what else have we got to do when the snow hits than build models!!

It's great to have one of the few remaining models shops in Scotland a few minutes walk away from my house :D As you say the rest are so far spread to make it a day trip for reaching some. Junners in Elgin is alright but the next nearest one is in Edinburgh!

Know from my own experiences in the cycling industry that some reps were covering not only Scotland but also Northern Ireland and north of England - those guys weren't getting home much. Gone are the days when every paper shop had a few its in stock. Makes me wonder if the market dried up or was strangled. Still recall getting Heller kits in the old Montgarrie shop; a village with a population of about 50 folk in the North East of Scotland stocking kits from France :blink:

While I think what Airfix has done so far is awesome, and I even like a couple kits in the 2016 range, I still hold out hope for a new Anson or Fairey Battle or Bird Dog or etc. etc. etc. :D

I think not getting what each of us hoped for is not the end of the world (obviously) and, if anything, it allows one to look towards the near (and distant) future knowing that this company will still have many of their older kits that they can retool (and new ones to be done as well)!!

Roll on Airfix, roll on! :D

Cheers,

Dave

Agreed ! While not exactly overwhelmed myself, there are enough goodies to make me happy. In a way I'm glad that there are fewer 2016 releases I will be buying. Gives me a chance to catch up on this year (and last!!)! I am kind of hoping to see the following retooled/ reissued;

F4-D Skyray

F-84 Thundersteak

F-80C

F-86D

F2-H Banshee

Mystere B2

Mirage IIIC

H P Hampden

Vickers Wellington

B-26 Marauder

Junkers JU-88

Dornier 217

Allan

• Like 1

Hei,

I am confused by the Airfix Sea King releases.

Wanting to build a Norwegian version, I have found on the Airfix web site:

The new mould Junglie for release on the first day of 2016 - http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/westland-sea-king-hc-4.html

Good for building the version used the the Marines to drop-in during exercises in Norway

The new RAF rescue helicopter is only available as a gift set and for release end of March 2016 - http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/westland-sea-king-har-3-1-72.html

It does not say what the extras are - maybe a Prince William pilot figure?

Airfix lists 134 parts.

The old Sea King kit with new Norwegian decals is not available at the moment:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/westland-sea-king-har3-mk43-1-72.html#product-view-reviews

Airfix lists 81 parts.

So is there a new mould Sea King kit (no extras) somewhere on Airfix web site that I have overlooked?

MVH

Knut Erik

I was in the Science Museum on Monday. I saw the real 1:1 Hurricane that comes in Airfix's starter kit.

D5BD0E3E-EA8F-4DDC-A99B-B3F7AC8B9809_zps

Only had an iPhone and that's with the flash.

Guess what none for sale! In fact no kits at all. An opportunity lost methinks.

Trevor

Folks,

Given all the previous publicity for 2016 releases, is there no Airfix Advent Calendar this year? Or if there is, will there be anything on it that hasn't already been announced? Anyone got the true word?

regards,

Martin

Folks,

Given all the previous publicity for 2016 releases, is there no Airfix Advent Calendar this year? Or if there is, will there be anything on it that hasn't already been announced? Anyone got the true word?

regards,

Martin

I hope there's one!

• Like 1

Well there is that Skua on the August 2016 sheet, doing serious harm to an He 111P-2

But as I've never even had a Cadbury's Advent Calendar I am prolly werywery wrong about what you mean

Should I be searching for a nice religious presentation from Airfix?

;)

Hei,

I am confused by the Airfix Sea King releases.

Wanting to build a Norwegian version, I have found on the Airfix web site:

The new mould Junglie for release on the first day of 2016 - http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/westland-sea-king-hc-4.html

Good for building the version used the the Marines to drop-in during exercises in Norway

The new RAF rescue helicopter is only available as a gift set and for release end of March 2016 - http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/westland-sea-king-har-3-1-72.html

It does not say what the extras are - maybe a Prince William pilot figure?

Airfix lists 134 parts.

The old Sea King kit with new Norwegian decals is not available at the moment:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/westland-sea-king-har3-mk43-1-72.html#product-view-reviews

Airfix lists 81 parts.

So is there a new mould Sea King kit (no extras) somewhere on Airfix web site that I have overlooked?

MVH

Knut Erik

All the old mouldings have now been withdrawn, and so far the RN HC.4 and RAF HAR.3 starter set have been the only ones announced from the new moulding. As you no doubt are aware the HAR.3 will be a satisfactory starting point for the Norwegian Mk.43 or Mk.43A in an early configuration, as there are only minor differences between the two. For the Mk.43B there will be more work, including sourcing the larger radome for the Sea Searcher radar. Decals are, of course, another matter.

As for the 'extras' in the HAR.3, Jen Wright's excellent build article in the new AMW of the HC.4 states that there are parts that would enable the main rotors to be motorized. I wonder if the extras will include the motor normally used for 1/24 aircraft propellers to allow the motorisation?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at the 1/24 Typhoon 1b [early] on the Airfix website.

I know the pictures are just of the CAD artwork.

Are Airfix going to use the 'Late' 1b fuselage do you think?

The 'late' one has the fish-plates on the tail, the 'early' didn't, and wasn't the tail fin larger on the 'late' versions?

I suppose they'll put into the kit the smaller sized tailplanes, but will they fit the 'late' fuselage ?

I was just looking at the 1/24 Typhoon 1b [early] on the Airfix website.

I know the pictures are just of the CAD artwork.

Are Airfix going to use the 'Late' 1b fuselage do you think?

The 'late' one has the fish-plates on the tail, the 'early' didn't, and wasn't the tail fin larger on the 'late' versions?

I suppose they'll put into the kit the smaller sized tailplanes, but will they fit the 'late' fuselage ?

It's quite common to see the fish plates on a car door typhoon.

The fin was the same size throughout Typhoon production.

The smaller tailplanes came with the bubbletop kit as they were applicable to at least one of the kit options - I've not seen any complaints about them fitting so they should be ok with the car door kit.

I really wish Airfix would release some 1/24th groundcrew to go with these kits.

Yup, this struck me as a major omission from their shop as well when I visited last month. Same thing in the Imperial War Museum.

I was up there last week to see the "Cosmonauts" exhibition. It's a real shame that there was not a single plastic kit for sale in the shop - especially with so many really impressive genuine articles - and models- on display in the museum.