Airfix 2016 announcement put back to Monday 16th Nov.

Rob P

Given that a manufacturer will always have guaranteed money making kits in their range ie Spitfire`s, Hurricane`s, ME109`s etc i`m still very surprised a new tool Eurofighter Typhoon hasn`t appeared yet with some of this years fancy markings to entice the kids/casual builders?

I would have thought such a kit of a modern type in frontline service with other air arms (not just the RAF) and seen on a regular basis at airshows making noise would have been in the standard range as a high seller to fund all the exotics ie Shackleton etc that airfix have done?

Given that a manufacturer will always have guaranteed money making kits in their range ie Spitfire`s, Hurricane`s, ME109`s etc i`m still very surprised a new tool Eurofighter Typhoon hasn`t appeared yet with some of this years fancy markings to entice the kids/casual builders?

I would have thought such a kit of a modern type in frontline service with other air arms (not just the RAF) and seen on a regular basis at airshows making noise would have been in the standard range as a high seller to fund all the exotics ie Shackleton etc that airfix have done?

I wonder if it depends on licencing? How much would Eurofighter GmbH (Airbus and Alenia, in addition to whatever agreement they have with BAe) ask for the use of the aircraft's likeness? It might be bit steep for Airfix at the moment, or just as likely they're neck deep in negotiations.

Which raises a point, does the Hasegawa kit have "a used with permission" logo on it?

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

According to the yearbook it will have No.111 Squadron and No.85 Squadron (presumably with dayglo stripes).

What is more interesting from the 2016 range index in the yearbook is the amount of items dropped. The Javelin is out, while the small starter sets have been reduced to only seven (Spitfire, Hurricane, Bf 109E, Gnat, Mustang, Cromwell, HMS Victory). The civvie and starter set Tiger Moths have been discontinued, and it looks like the Comet Racer may have finally been retired. The only pre-Hornby aircraft are the Vanguard, Comet 4B, 1/72 and 1/48 Mossies, Boeing 707, Sunderland, Halifax, HP O/400, 1/48 Lightning and six 1/24 kits. There are now only six ships/boats, while the whole Operation Herrick range is gone, as too are the resin buildings.

I had a conversation with the Hornby rep earlier; reading between the lines of what he told me there is much streamlining of the range going on, and if it doesn't sell it will be pulled. I do not feel that they are only going to concentrate on obvious bankers, as the Kate and the Jet Provost have proved, but it will be interesting to see how the range develops.

I think Airfix ultimately wants to shake off their association with rivets. The old kits were just being used to keep things going until a whole new range could replace the old stuff. The old kits have probably made Hornby enough money to fund a new range but in the long term they are a bit of an embarrassment to the brand name.

Personally I still like building the old stuff, but to be honest I realise that I am pretty much alone in that.

If all future Airfix designs are going to be LIDAR-based, then I just hope that their LIDAR system is man enough to do HMS Queen Elizabeth.......

Thank goodness there isn't huge demand for a new Titanic - pity the poor divers....

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 3

Yep they did.

"The only British biplane fighter in operational service was the Gloster Gladiator which equipped No. 247 Squadron RAF, stationed in RAF Robourgh, Devon. Although no combat sorties took place at the height of the aerial battles, No. 247 Gladiators intercepted a He 111 in late October 1940, without result. No. 239 Squadron RAF using Gladiators in an army cooperation role and No. 804 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm outfitted with Sea Gladiators were also operational during the Battle of Britain"

From Wiki

Thanks, so the chances of UK/European combo is out. And I found the original posting about the combo being a Malta based scheme.

Hunter, Meteor. My brain said 1950's, my fingers jumped the gun........

Edited for stupidity

Trevor

Aye, we;; don't forget either that it's not an NMF, they were painted silver.............

Paul (happy to see some WWI stuff in the new line up, and thinking the proposed 2016 line-up looks ambitious enough considering the state Airfix was in a scant few years ago).

Thanks, so the chances of UK/European combo is out. And I found the original posting about the combo being a Malta based scheme.

Its more likely to be the Battle of France or Norway.

The Gladds used in Malta were Sea Gladiators - not an option in the Airfix kit. The Ju87 kit is the B-1, just about totally replaced by the B-2 and R by late summer 1940.

Personally I go for Norway campaign. Gladds in either RAF or RNoAF markings.

Nah, just plain capitalism ... ;)

I suppose so, but I'm surprised I'm the only one here who has an issue with it.

This is a price hike of 14 to 26%, and only for a few different (not additional) parts and decal sets. In a time where there is zero inflation and most people's salaries have been stabile for some time, it's a decidedly strange move, but maybe the market will accept it. I have little interest in these specific kits and I'd rather buy their less expensive but essentially similar older brothers.

• Like 3

I suppose so, but I'm surprised I'm the only one here who has an issue with it.

This is a price hike of 14 to 26%, and only for a few different (not additional) parts and decal sets. In a time where there is zero inflation and most people's salaries have been stabile for some time, it's a decidedly strange move, but maybe the market will accept it. I have little interest in these specific kits and I'd rather buy their less expensive but essentially similar older brothers.

Oh, I'm with you on this and I suspect a few other BMers are as well. But (as has been seen elsewhere on BM) you mention the price of kits (and in particular Airfix kits) and it can stir up a hornet's nest. Some of us have decided it's not worth the effort doing so, ain't that right spaddad? :)

Oh and BTW, there was a healthy does of cynicism in my 'capitalism' post ... ;)

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

I suspect, their predecessors having had to call in the receivers twice over the years, that the people who run Airfix today are quite keen to make sure that the company is run in a "business-like" (for which read "capitalist") way... For example, I read quite recently that they've reduced the planned "payback" time on a new mould to more like 1 year than the three it used to be. Still, there's a fair chunk of investment going into new products, so I don't think we have much cause to complain, really...

No one HAS to buy new tool kits, and I spend quite a lot of modelling time fettling ancient ones as a paid-up member of the CBK SIG.

bestest,

M.

• Like 1

I really do not care as long as Airfix is doing the brilliant job they do -- in spite of no quarterscale Spitfires in 2016! Compared to Tamigawa, their models are absolutely reasonably priced.

Although the official rate of consumer price index is relatively stable, it does not mean that there are no pressures on manufacturers. CPI and the old RPI are based on a basket of prices of goods and services that changes and are calculated according to a formula that the effect of price rises out of the equation after a certain time. My guess is that the Hornby group is under pressure from its shareholders to improve return s and thus make more money for the shareholders as at the end of the day that is what they are interested in, rather than whether Airfix produce a Fairey Fruitbat (unless off course it pays. Before getting too cynical about capitalism (and I am pretty cynical about it), anyone who has or hopes to receive an occupational pension will in many cases be relying on the companies that the pension provider has shares in to be paying good dividends on those shares.

• Like 1

I do share some individuals' sense of disappointment over the BIG Airfix announcement for 2016 but I do not hold them responsible in any way whatsoever. Whether we like it or not, we live in an age of instant and constant communication with a large majority of people wanting instant gratification. The days of waiting, with eager anticipation, for the list of new kits to appear in Scale Aircraft Modelling and other esteemed modelling publications after the London and Nuremberg Toy Fairs in each given year are long gone and now it would appear, so too have the eagerly awaited Christmas Eve announcements from the likes of Airfix. Such are the commercial and cultural pressures on hobby companies these days that they are obliged to publicise news of forthcoming releases as soon as they have been realized, rather than storing them for one grand announcement at a given point in the modelling year. We only have ourselves to blame. Our voracious and completely irrational appetite for new releases to add to an already bulging 'stash' has created this phenomena and there is no longer much in the way of real surprise. I would love to return to the days of the no notice release of a new kit. I can still remember walking down Main Street in Gibraltar in 1972 and seeing a brand new Airfix kit of the SA.330 Puma in the shop window, of which I had had no prior knowledge. According to my parents, the expression on my face was a joy to behold. That 'magic' has, regrettably, gone and I think we will now have to content ourselves with a steady drip feed of announcements for new kits rather than the eager anticipation and excitement that surrounds the release of a comprehensive and long list of new kits for any given period.

• Like 5

Well I for one am quite pleased with Airfix's plans, the Meteor F.8 is a stroke of genius although I can't help but thinking it would sell more in 1/72nd (I live in hope, I'll buy a few in 1/48th but a bucket load in 1/72nd, oh well, fingers crossed)! I'm looking forward to the JP and I'm impressed with the Victor.

I'm also pleased to see the WW.I kits, hopefully they'll sell well and encourage them to do more - like the Sopwith Pup for instance! I'm also looking forward to the P-40B and the Ju-87.

I think the revised toolings are good too, I'll be getting the Beau Mk.10, Queenie and the B5N1 Kate are shrewd moves (especially the Beau').

I can't agree with all you misery guts who're whingeing on but then, you can't please everyone.

Wez - who'll be spending money on Airfix next year.

• Like 6

Just a thought...............

It was not that long ago that we modellers waited with baited breath for the latest Tamiya release. In fact they were the byword for quality.

Roll on a few years.

We are now all talking about Airfix..... a home grown product, with a standard to compete with the Japanese big boys.... how things have changed.

I don't remember anyone moaning about what Tamiya produced at the time.

Airfix are on their game ....long may it last.

As for the price........hey who pays full price for anything these days..... look around find the discounts...wait a little while until it becomes a price you want to pay.

Now stop moaning and go and make something.......... it will make space for your next purchase. :frantic:

Edited by jenko
  • Like 6

unfortunately I wasn't one of those who waited for the next Tamiya kit. At the time being an aircraft modeller, the only readily available Tamiya plane kits were in 1/48 and 1/72 was the scale I wanted to keep to. Although I don't remember many complaints about Tamiya except perhaps the AFV modellers who felt some of the molds should be updated.

If you want another tease, next years Airfix calendar has, on it's back page, a Hurricane MkII c.

Their next 1/24th superkit release perhaps? A new tool Hurricane to the same standard as the Tiffy? :chair:

We are now all talking about Airfix..... a home grown product, with a standard to compete with the Japanese big boys

Well...

I don't remember anyone moaning about what Tamiya produced at the time

Then you, sir, have a terrible memory. ;) People dumped all over Tamiya's Swordfish, and Storch, and F-16, and -262, and... Haters gonna hate; modellers gonna gripe.