Airfix 2016 announcement put back to Monday 16th Nov.

Rob P

I wonder if Airfix are holding back their full line up of new releases so they can drive us all crazy over December with another advent calendar? Fingers crossed they do... the one last year was great fun :)

Edited by Danyel
  • Like 2

What happened to the pricing? The series 2 kits seems to have gone up to 8,99. Wildcat was 7,99, Martlet is 8,99. Spit MkI was 7,99, MkV is 8,99. New Beau is 18,99, whereas the current one is only 14,99?

Getting us used to the price increase required by bringing production back onshore?

Yes and not. As far as I remeber, all the needed plastic parts were already present in previous Mk. I/II boxing. New are only decals.

So would it be safe to assume that one could make an early Mk.Vb from either the Mk.I/II or new Mk.Va just by adding 20mm cannon barrels and spare decals then?

So would it be safe to assume that one could make an early Mk.Vb from either the Mk.I/II or new Mk.Va just by adding 20mm cannon barrels and spare decals then?

Cannon barrels, bulges above and below the wings, different panel lines, different case ejection slots... some of these modifications would be easy (the barrels for example can be purchased), others less so.

• Like 1

Not quite that simple. The VB has different panels and of course the bumps above and below the wings for the canon ammo can

Oh dear - and I realise that my comments may not be popular - but I am very disappointed with the 2016 releases. Other that the JP3 and Beaufighter there is nothing there for me. They could have been much braver - a multi variant Hunter for example. Thank good ness for the other manufacturers who are prepared to take a risk - Sword, Micro Mir are good examples. Still my bank balance wil not be too affected!

John

• Like 1

Cannon barrels, bulges above and below the wings, different panel lines, different case ejection slots... some of these modifications would be easy (the barrels for example can be purchased), others less so.

Not quite that simple. The VB has different panels and of course the bumps above and below the wings for the canon ammo can

Ah, yes! I forgot the bulges for the cannons and whatnot!

If all future Airfix designs are going to be LIDAR-based, then I just hope that their LIDAR system is man enough to do HMS Queen Elizabeth.......

Dave

• Like 7

Oh dear - and I realise that my comments may not be popular - but I am very disappointed with the 2016 releases. Other that the JP3 and Beaufighter there is nothing there for me. They could have been much braver - a multi variant Hunter for example. Thank good ness for the other manufacturers who are prepared to take a risk - Sword, Micro Mir are good examples. Still my bank balance wil not be too affected!

John

It's not really fair to imply that Airfix is not willing to take risks. This year's Shackleton was a huge risk, as was the Whitley. Next year's Victor B.2 is also a potentially risky proposition given the huge financial outlay that will be required to create the moulds to make the kit. The economics for Sword and MicroMir, who produce much smaller runs of each kit, are very different than for Airfix.

• Like 4

If all future Airfix designs are going to be LIDAR-based, then I just hope that their LIDAR system is man enough to do HMS Queen Elizabeth.......

Dave

Or they could just LIDAR the model you scratchbuilt for them ... :whistle:

Oh dear - and I realise that my comments may not be popular - but I am very disappointed with the 2016 releases.

The last five pages have been nothing but griping that Airfix aren't making everybody's dreams come true with a flood of new kits. Your comments aren't exactly going to be unpopular.

Personally amazed and impressed by the choice of subjects in the last few years. All the new releases are impressive too, certainly surprised by the bold move to produce a new Victor.

Happy to pay a few pounds more for a higher quality item.

Have seen a Shacklton now and despite some negative comments I thought it looked great, those made and shown on this site certainly look impressive , good value I think even at the RRP.

I'm sure a buccaneer and all our other wants are in the pipeline, just hope the quality doesn't let any of them down.

Not a bad listing for me. The JP and Sea King being tops! Not really a Whitley fan but am pleased for others. The B-17 might tempt me and the Aston Martin DB5.

But IS there more to come????

By the way, the Hawk T.1 in 72nd that is announced. It has a 'C' suffix at the end of the catalogue number. Does this mean its been retooled with PROPER sized undercart doors and refined panel lines etc. or is it just a plain decal change to reflect the current 'Red Arrers' scheme

By the way, the Hawk T.1 in 72nd that is announced. It has a 'C' suffix at the end of the catalogue number. Does this mean its been retooled with PROPER sized undercart doors and refined panel lines etc. or is it just a plain decal change to reflect the current 'Red Arrers' scheme

Just a decal change

While I'm one of those that will probably not buy much of the Airfix 2016 news, I would not say that they lacked courage and imagination. The 1/72 Victor and JP are not really the kind of subjects that I'd call "conservative". The JP is not really the best known of trainers even in the UK, even more in T.3 guise. The Victor may be well known but a new tool of this aircraft is still a gamble, even more as a bomber rather than the tanker considering that the latter has been in service for far longer. Even the new variants of tools first issued this year are somewhat unusual, the ASW variant of the Whitley for example is not the kind of subject that immediately comes to ones mind. Same for the Kate and in a sense the Martlet too.

IMHO they are still proposing interesting subject, unfortunately for me not the ones that catch my interest, but are quite unusual anyway

• Like 1

To give Airfix due credit they have covered a wide spread of aviation subjects in this batch of releases and put in some unusual subjects. Sounds as if there is more to come for this year as well. Then again there was a few subjects on last years list that haven't reached the shops yet.

I'm struggling to understand why anyone would expect a "major new announcement" from Airfix today given that Telford was barely more than a week ago? I think it's reasonable to expect a more substantial announcement around Christmas. In the meantime, I'd like Airfix to work on the issues identified with the Martlet MkIV and P-40B kits and provide modellers with some feedback on what they plan to do, if anything, to correct these soon-to-be-released kits.

So the kits aren't out yet, apart from CAD images has anyone ACTUALLY seen a finished model to back up these 'identified issues' that one or two sites have already written them off for?
  • Like 1