Airfix 2016 announcement put back to Monday 16th Nov.

Rob P

The 1/48 Hurricane & Canberra together with the 1/72 Sea King HAR.3, Red Arrows 2016, Stuka / Gladiator DFD set and Battle of the Somme set are on the Airfix website for Pre-Order.

? Whereabouts, the Canberra is not showing on 1:48 military aircraft, or the pre order area?

Hold on, the Crusader is in 32nd scale, is this a first foray into the scale for such subjects by Airfix?

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-arrivals/crusader-mkiii-tank.html

The Crusader dates back to the 1970's. Other kits in the range included M3 Lee and M3 Grant tanks, Montgomery's Humber staff car, Rommel's Sd.Kfz 250/3 Semi-Tracked Reconnaissance Car, and the 17 pdr anti-tank gun and crew, which is due to be re-released before the end of the year. Airfix also had a range of kits on 1/35 but they were reissues of another manufacturer's kits, not original toolings.

• Like 1

The Crusader dates back to the 1970's. Other kits in the range included M3 Lee and M3 Grant tanks, Montgomery's Humber staff car, Rommel's Sd.Kfz 250/3 Semi-Tracked Reconnaissance Car, and the 17 pdr anti-tank gun and crew, which is due to be re-released before the end of the year. Airfix also had a range of kits on 1/35 but they were reissues of another manufacturer's kits, not original toolings.

Thanks you. I wasn't aware of them until now. Do you know if the kits were any good then and, indeed, be worth building now?

Thanks you. I wasn't aware of them until now. Do you know if the kits were any good then and, indeed, be worth building now?

The kits are obviously not up to modern standards, but I think they can be built up to look quite good. All the kits I mentioned should be readily available (the 17 pdr will be when it's finally issued) except for the Lee and Grant. These two were only available from 1977-1980 so they are fairly rare. They do show up on ebay from time to time. You can check out some finished models at the following links:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1144

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1047

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1198

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1234

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1145

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1304

• Like 1

I thumbed through the Airfix year book in Tesco on Saturday and no way is it worth £8 as far as I'm concerned.

If there are more new kits to be announced on Monday they are not included in the year book making it even less worth its money.

Would probably have been better without nearly 20 pages of what was effectively advertising for Humbrol products

Allan

This speculation is great fun by thunder......already knowing several of the announcements only means that my tongue is in a pretty bad way after all the biting it's done recently !

Naughty General.... Spill the beans, you wouldn't want us to get the two floury baps out again would you?

• Like 3

I think you should all demand a 10% discount from T7 as penance for his evilness :wicked:

Sorry, is that English? (consults retailers' dictionary) No, no 'discount' here... Are you making words up again, Mike?

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 4

I'am hoping for a 1/72 Vickers Varsity or possibly a 1/72 Vickers Viking/Valetta. As an IPMS member, at Telford I got a years subscription to Airfix World for £38 and the Yearbook and Vulcan magazine thrown in as well from the Airfix stand.

Edited by T-21

This speculation is great fun by thunder......already knowing several of the announcements only means that my tongue is in a pretty bad way after all the biting it's done recently !

Ah! Herr General. I have booked a table for two at ze Ritz. Perhaps you vould bite instead into ze good meal mit Champagne at my expense. All I ask in return is ze details! :D

Oberleutnant von Genschler

• Like 2

The required information can be obtained in eighteen easy term, fixed rate, low monthly payments (APR variable) with a cash donation to a moustache hammock restoration fund of your choice.....just see Darling for details, he's quite adept at pumping people thoroughly for details.....

Von Genschler...I thank you for the offer and the spirit in which it is offered but quite frankly I wouldn't lick a German if he were glazed in honey !

• Like 10

The required information can be obtained in eighteen easy term, fixed rate, low monthly payments (APR variable) with a cash donation to a moustache hammock restoration fund of your choice.....just see Darling for details, he's quite adept at pumping people thoroughly for details.....

Von Genschler...I thank you for the offer and the spirit in which it is offered but quite frankly I wouldn't lick a German if he were glazed in honey !

:lol::lol:

You have not met Frau von Genschler yet!! :bouncy:

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

So just how have you become privy to such information may I ask? :hmmm:

Personally I'm looking forward to any announcement from Airfix with some trepidation. I'm already into them for over £100.00 in pre-orders, so I'm dreading what may come, it's bound to be something I can't resist (re-tool or 1/48 Hampden) or something I I would really like, (Spey Phantom) and which will be too tempting to resist. Why did I take up modelling? :rolleyes:

Col, as a contributor to Airfix Model World magazine I often travel down to Key Publishing HQ at Stamford for meetings to discuss up and coming article projects with the editor Chris Clifford and some members of the design team so naturally the odd thing pops up now and then............. so now only you and the entire English speaking world know !

• Like 3

Col, I built the M3 Grant earlier on this year:

M3_Grant_32_GB_048.JPG

and the Rommel Half-Track a few years ago:

Sd_Kfz_250_3_Rommel_Half_Track_094.JPG

Whilst they are not as finely detailed as more modern kits, they come out quite nicely - even straight from the box as my two builds were.

Dave

• Like 4

Col, as a contributor to Airfix Model World magazine I often travel down to Key Publishing HQ at Stamford for meetings to discuss up and coming article projects with the editor Chris Clifford and some members of the design team so naturally the odd thing pops up now and then............. so now only you and the entire English speaking world know !

So General you're the chap who I see jumping up and down outside the office when I drive past to the sports hall when dropping my son off.

• Like 1

Ah ha, I see, a little side information to watch us mere mortals speculate and smile about. Given the standard of your work it comes as no surprise to learn you contribute some of the articles to the magazine - all stunning models in there. Must admit I've been holding off butchering certain old kits or starting a couple of cross-kitting conversions until the next round of releases are know but perhaps we should all just ask you nicely for subtle hints to whether or not the work would prove worthwhile - even if only as a sacrifice to the modelling gods for the masses :lol:

Col, I built the M3 Grant earlier on this year:

and the Rommel Half-Track a few years ago:

Whilst they are not as finely detailed as more modern kits, they come out quite nicely - even straight from the box as my two builds were.

Dave

They certainly turned out well Dave. Nice work.

• Like 2

So General you're the chap who I see jumping up and down outside the office when I drive past to the sports hall when dropping my son off.

Blikkey more than likely...........but that may more likely due to attempting to jump through hoops to accomodate them or the result of eating the canteen food !..hope I didn't frighten the little fella, that would be a bridge too far.

Ah ha, I see, a little side information to watch us mere mortals speculate and smile about. Given the standard of your work it comes as no surprise to learn you contribute some of the articles to the magazine - all stunning models in there. Must admit I've been holding off butchering certain old kits or starting a couple of cross-kitting conversions until the next round of releases are know but perhaps we should all just ask you nicely for subtle hints to whether or not the work would prove worthwhile - even if only as a sacrifice to the modelling gods for the masses :lol:

Col, flattery will get you (almost) nowhere old fella, however a sizeable cheque made out to me almost certainly will, worth a shot but I've been threatened with visitations from the MIB, the removal and selling on of vital organs that I've become rather attached too and ex-communication from the secret society of silly bu**ers at Oxford if I even hint at what's to come........so it's 'maximum security'all round ..Beeeeeah

• Like 2

General! Name your price to loosen your tongue. Anything up to £1.99 in National Garden Centre Gift Tokens ;)

As for the 1/35 armour released in the 70's and which was mentioned earlier in the thread I recall that the moulds came from Max (no relation!).

Trevor

• Like 2

The list of "Max" kits issued by Airfix is below (the ones marked * were not actually issued but shown in catalogues)

1977 White M3A1 Scout Car 1.35
1977 155mm Howitzer 1.35
1978 Bedford Gun Portee 1.35
1977 15cwt Truck & 6 Pdr Gun 1.35
1978 CMP Field Artillery Tractor 1.35
1976 M6 37mm GMC 1.35
1976 Dodge Weapons Carrier 1.35
1976 Dodge Personnel Carrier 1.35
1976 Dodge Command Car 1.35

1978 US Army 2.5 ton Truck 1.35 *
1978 Steyr Tractor and Nebelwerfer 1.35 *
1978 Dodge Ambulance 1.35 *