My new Chrissy present from my missus is on its way

Hi all my missus has bought me Hellers 1/100 Soliel Royal for my Christmas present and she ordered it last night with strict instructions not to be even looked at till Christmas, we'll see

• Like 5

Nice one.

I to have been looking at this ship for some time and wanted to have it in my collection.

But with so many other projects on its had to be scrapped.

So will look forward to your build in the future.

foxy :coolio:

Hi all it arrived today, and knowing Heller I managed to get my missus to let me check the sprueswink.gif don't want the disappointment of the La Reale build with missing sprues.
there are in excess of 35 sprues to this kit, it is mahoosive and no mistake. anyway here are some pics
ydrHO7y.jpg

72swrQY.jpg

zzpFv45.jpg

UuZ7oCL.jpg

mI4p1Ne.jpg

nW3UV84.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely I hope to get somewhere near that standard, any more pics

Yes, a couple but I don't want to hijack your thread :winkgrin: There is a build of the Soleil by a couple of Polish gentlemen on-line somewhere that is really magnificent, I'll see if I can still find the link to it.

:coolio:

Okay, here are the few digital pics I have available of the Soleil. Pics are rather cruddy being taken on an old Canon quite a few years back. I bought the model at the first opportunity I had to pay the rather horrifying 200 Dutch Guilders it cost about 40 years ago. The hull went together over a period of nearly 10 years, (I was still working on board deep sea tugs back then). When I finally came ashore the Soleil moved house along with me and the Mrs. a couple of times which didn't do much for her appearence and during the final move I managed to lose the parts and instructions. This build was finally binned about two years ago leaving only mixed memories. I would certainly do a different job nowadays:

Soleil_1.jpg

Soleil_3.jpg

Soleil_4.jpg

Soleil_5.jpg

Soleil_6.jpg

Soleil_7.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Here are two photos of Soleil Royale builds I found on-line years ago. I think the first is by two Polish gentlemen and the second I really don't remember who built it. They are both very beautiful pieces of work. If the original buiilders don't want these photos posted please drop a PM and I'll have them removed:

28-1.jpg

soleil3.jpg

So, roll on Christmas and we can enjoy your build of this rather huge model ship KP,

cheers mate :bye:

Managed to fix the date the pics were taken: March 2006.........................................

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 2

Biggest problem with any model of this type is that over time (quite apart from them being dust traps), the rigging thread starts to unravel and ends up just like fine hairy string!! (not very good description but you can unfortunately see the effect in the pictures). If you can get hold of a piece of soft wax (bees wax is ideal), try pressing the thread into the wax with your thumb and gently drawing it through. You will get a fine coat of wax on the threads which should (hopefully) stop them unravelling over time.

Allan

• Like 1

Biggest problem with any model of this type is that over time (quite apart from them being dust traps), the rigging thread starts to unravel and ends up just like fine hairy string!! (not very good description but you can unfortunately see the effect in the pictures). If you can get hold of a piece of soft wax (bees wax is ideal), try pressing the thread into the wax with your thumb and gently drawing it through. You will get a fine coat of wax on the threads which should (hopefully) stop them unravelling over time.

Allan

Hi Allan,

The beeswax is an excellent solution and one I used my 1/50th Heller Chebeck. Unfortunately this fix arrived to late for me to use it on the Soleil :shrug:

• Like 1

Hi Allan,

The beeswax is an excellent solution and one I used my 1/50th Heller Chebeck. Unfortunately this fix arrived to late for me to use it on the Soleil :shrug:

Know the feeling! I found out about it AFTER I had completed Revell's 1/96 Cutty Sark!!! :banghead:

Allan

• Like 1

Know the feeling! I found out about it AFTER I had completed Revell's 1/96 Cutty Sark!!! :banghead:

Allan

Still have that one in my stash. Seems that lots of aftermarket stuff is now available for the Cutty Sark, Hmm................................... :fight::chair:

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 1