Pegasus Bristol M1C 1/72

Just starting a new project after struggling through a Frogspawn Whitley!

Decided on a Bristol M1C from Pegasus, no glazing and hardly any rigging, how hard can it be?

To make life a little more difficult (and 'cos I like it) I'm going with the stripey colour scheme, lots of masking fun ahead.

There's lots of debate about what colour the stripes are, any one interested can follow it here http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57379

I'm going for black and white.

The kit is pretty basic so the first thing will be an interior, but restricted to the bit you can actually see through the small cockpit opening.

IMG_42051_zpslq8eyhsk.jpgIMG_42091_zpsq4w1dc7i.jpgIMG_42081_zpsoqe9jv7d.jpg

• Like 4

I built this one a while back and there are a couple of issues with it which you may (or may not!) wish to address:

The wings are way too thick and will need considerable thinning down. They are also slightly off in plan shape, particularly at the wing roots, and the cutout in the wing root needs to be shaped correctly. Ailerons are also incorrect.

The fuselage is slightly too deep. Unfortunately the site I posted the build on is now defunct but here are a couple of pics to show what I mean:

This shows where the cut needs to be made:

001-49.jpg

and this shows how much was removed, comparing the corrected half to the uncorrected one:

003-35.jpg

and of course then there's the engine and cowling.....if you can find a spare cowling in the spares box that would be the route to take - I did, but I have no idea what it came from I'm afraid!

I also scratchbuilt the interior, separated the prop and replaced it with an Aeroclub one (also used Aeroclub wheels and gun). hollowed out the large spinner, and added new tail surfaces from plastic card.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but if you'd like to see it complete I'd be happy to put up a pic or two!

I'm looking forward to seeing you knock this one into shape!

Ian

Just found the thread on another site, although you may have to register to read it:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2462.0

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for your interest.

Limeypilot; Oh... hadn't realised my simple build might have issues! Don't worry about 'hijacking' my thread, your input is welcome.

I'd love to see a photo of your finished model. At work so will compare plastic to drawings in the 'Book of Bristol Aircraft' this evening. I stuck the fuselage together last night so too late for that alteration but I see what you mean about the ailerons.

Photos tomorrow!

Made a start on joining the fuselage having made a cockpit interior from bits and bobs, the only thing that comes with the kit is the seat. luckily the controls are very basic and the cockpit hole tiny so there is actually very little seen.

Limeypilots comments made me go back to look at drawings and it seems the fuselage is a bit fatter than the drawing but I can live with it. The wings look pretty good but I'll thin the edges.

More over the weekend.

IMG_43291_zpsdfsetqx1.jpgc1c79ec1-d980-4d91-95b5-7387cc12e809_zpsIMG_43271_zpss02sst7o.jpgIMG_43161_zpsoagcebrf.jpgIMG_43211_zpsf6wh5piz.jpg

• Like 1

Wow Ian looks great, notice a few additions that are not part of the kit and those very neat double rigging wires under the wing. Thanks for posting them.

Did a bit more over the weekend.

Engine cowling now on and sanded down to roughly the same diameter as the fuselage. Removed the cockpit combing and replaced it with a bent piece of wire, taken out the centre of a food bag twizzle! A little known source of useful malleable wire.

I decided to separate the wings from the section of fuselage so the basic parts, wings and fuselage, can be painted separately. I think this will help when the stripes are masked on the fuselage.

Made a start on adding the missing framework in the hole at the wing roots. I believe the hole enabled the pilot to have a better view down.

More soon.

IMG_4351_zpsohhunirl.jpgIMG_4352_zpsjnru7r2a.jpgIMG_4353_zpsihqmvnyn.jpg

• Like 2

That is another error in the kit instructions I'm afraid - there is no structure visible in the wing cutout. The cutout in the kit is too wide, it is actually between two ribs, not three, so there is not one in the middle....it looks to me as though the drawings you are using are wrong......the ailerons are the wrong shape on them too....the correct shape is more like that shown on your colour schemes with the trailing edge extending further out towards the tip before curving.

041.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still making some progress with the M1C after a bit of a set back with the hole through the wing root, basically the Pegasus instructions are pants and there should be no strutting visible, so out it came and the hole has been reformed to the correct profile. I've also reshaped the wing tips to be more like the drawing. So a few progress shots but first what I am aiming at...

386128_zpsrwg4w1wu.jpg2380666751_cd84bd06b6_zps2rvbotff.jpgIMG_4397_zpsoccca50d.jpg

IMG_4399_zps8vilwwh8.jpg

• Like 1