Sub structure for a base?

Watcher

I'm working on a small maintenance diorama for a 1:48 ME 109. I'm using a cheap picture frame as the base (approx. A4 size). I need to build up about 2-3mm of height to get level with the frame. I plan to use DAS putty as the top surface.

I have thought about polystyrene tiles because they are easy to work with. My concern is that if I use a flexible material underneath the DAS might flex and crack. As I'm not talking about creating a great deal of height would some form of board do?

TIA

Matthew

A problem you might encounter with flexible substructures is that when your terrain material dries, if it shrinks it may pull the base up at the edges.

If you go to somewhere like Wickes/B&Q and buy a smaller piece of sheet, you could get them to wang it into A4-ish bits. They'll be square but it just limits you to builds that size!

• Like 1

Use the backing board from the frame. Glue it into the frame with UHU, Bostick or silicone sealant. Paint it with a coat of diluted PVA. When thats dry, dilute pollyfilla to pouring consistancy and pour into the frame. Leave it to set hard on a level surface and you'll end up with a nice hard, level and not too heavy a base.

• Like 2

A problem you might encounter with flexible substructures is that when your terrain material dries, if it shrinks it may pull the base up at the edges.

If you go to somewhere like Wickes/B&Q and buy a smaller piece of sheet, you could get them to wang it into A4-ish bits. They'll be square but it just limits you to builds that size!

DAS modelling clay really shrinks back so what ever base you use needs to be able to with stand the forces of the clay drying out.

I use IKEA picture frames and they work well as a base, close cell blue builders foam glued with epoxy glue for the ground work.

Dan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive tried using wooden shelves, which are Ok, but obviously limited to size.

I tried that oasis stuff, but thats like pulling teeth!!

So this week, i managed to finish off my standard size mould for bases, which gives a textired upper, and smooth sides to paint.

I just fill it with resin, and pull it out, and make the base on that. Seems so much easier for me, and i dont have to keep buying frames, shelves and the like. The bases are not as thick, and more rounded edges gives a better finish for me.

I make all my bases from polystyrene tiles or polystyrene, I paint it with PVA Bonding glue and put on DAS whilst glue is still wet, I have not had a problem doing it this way.

Emu