Some artsy-fartsy wooden cars

Hi all

As the Monty Python group used to say ... "And now for something completely different!"

I don't always like doing fully detailed models (as in the Triumph TR6 I posted recently) so when I can find some really nice wood I like to hack out some of my favourite older cars that are appreciated for their flowing lines and hack out a bit of a show model.

Here are 3 that are done in different woods with a varnished finish.

Hope you don't mind this sort of stuff showing up on BM.

First is an XK120 a car that has wonderful flowing lines. I used a tropical hardwood called cocobolo for it and cut and glued many strips together (8 or 9 in the boot/trunk lid alone) to get the grain flowing where I wanted it. Awful stuff to work with and the dust tastes awful. Metalwork all filed out of scraps of aluminum.

11551494503_07cfa13013_c.jpg

11551487466_6cd5f066cc_c.jpg

Next is my all time favourite car ... the 250 GTO. I bought a block of padauk many years ago and just knew I wanted to do something special with it. This was my first ever scratch build ... long before the internet and plans. It sat for mnay years without wheels till I started making my own wire wheels ... still needs knock-offs in this pic.

11551295685_178143b250_b.jpg

I like to build up many coats of lacquer and when it's dry, wet sand it absolutely flat till there are no hollows in the finish, then wax it.

I've since made tiny metal door openers for it.

Ah ... knock offs done.

11551443333_9abeb872a1_b.jpg

Next is a Ferrari 375MM that I'd never seen before and I just loved the shape. I carved it from some mahogany I salvaged from an abandoned boat.

Starts off pretty crudely ...

11551273313_8d26cb37ea_c.jpg

After much chiseling and sanding ... it starts to resemble the photo.

Someone asked me "How do you do that?" and I said "I just take away all the bits that don't look like a Ferrari".

11551277336_dc34bc1532_c.jpg

Months later ...

11551306943_38582f23d9_c.jpg

The lacquer makes for a beautiful finish on all woods. Actually I do this on all my painted models too ... paint, apply several coats of lacquer , lots of drying time in between, rub down with 1000 grit wet paper, apply wax.

11551199045_86d3f4e960_c.jpg

Hope you don't mind this departure from the norm.

We now return to the standard program!

Frank

• Like 38

Fabulous sculpting and love the 250GTO especially. The wood medium actually emphasises the shape of the design. They remind me of the bucks used for traditional metalbashing...not that I'm suggesting using for such!

Edited by vontrips

Magnificent! Beautiful models to look at.

I could probably get you some chunky pieces of american black walnut if you want? or Oak? Might be useful for your next project being hardwoods? PM me if interested

Magnificent! Beautiful models to look at.

I could probably get you some chunky pieces of american black walnut if you want? or Oak? Might be useful for your next project being hardwoods? PM me if interested

Thanks Dan

Black walnut does sound interesting and just might make for a nice model. As it is, I've got too many things on the go at the moment and I've promised myself to finish a few before tackling anything new ... must admit, I've made myself that promise many times. However, there's nothing like starting a new project to get the creative juices flowing and getting excited about the hobby. I'm into my 10th year (gulp) of off-and-on tackling a scratch build of the famous Flying Scotsman steam engine and it's now sitting on rails on a board and within months of finishing and I've promised myself .... see, there it is again!!

Anyway, thanks for the offer of the wood but I'll gratefully decline (for now) ... how big a piece is it ... now stop that!! Maybe I could help you scratch build an aircraft model for yourself Dan? I think it would make a lovely varnished Lancaster!

Frank

Frank, send me your address via a PM and I'll send you a nice bundle. You'd probably shed a small tear if you knew how much of this wood goes in our wood burner!

I think the largest size is 90mm square. Certainly I have three 800mm lengths of that under my desk as supports. It's from a mate that works at a bespoke kitchen makers, (they did Cheryl Cole's mums not long back for 60k+!!) only use it myself to make nice bases with, comes up a treat under a few coats of shellac :)

Sticking bits of plastic together is one thing... This is something else entirely and I'd be dreaming if I thought I could do it! Nice to see though. I look forward to seeing your Flying Scotsman.

Dan

Frank, send me your address via a PM and I'll send you a nice bundle. You'd probably shed a small tear if you knew how much of this wood goes in our wood burner!

I think the largest size is 90mm square. Certainly I have three 800mm lengths of that under my desk as supports. It's from a mate that works at a bespoke kitchen makers, (they did Cheryl Cole's mums not long back for 60k+!!) only use it myself to make nice bases with, comes up a treat under a few coats of shellac :)

Sticking bits of plastic together is one thing... This is something else entirely and I'd be dreaming if I thought I could do it! Nice to see though. I look forward to seeing your Flying Scotsman.

Dan

Sent you a PM Dan.

Send me an email address and I'll forward some loco pics. I don't think they belong here.

Frank

Sent you a PM Dan.

Send me an email address and I'll forward some loco pics. I don't think they belong here.

Frank

There's a railways sub forum on BM Frank, lots of members also interested in them. I'd also like to see your Flying Scot pics!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/239-locos-trains-and-layouts/

Keith

Bravo lets see more like this beats kit assembling any day

Well, since you asked!! Here's some old shots I took that include one of my 57 TestaRossa's . It was carved from basswood which is not a pretty wood so it got painted. I then used it to make a silicon mould from which I've cast 7 others ... and one still in progress.

22565828234_ace88de1b7_b.jpg

22800189617_15f7383224_z.jpg

Wow ... taken 12 years ago! Top left ... Maserati 250F, 57 TR (3 of them) GTO, Lancia D50, 375MM unvarnished, 4th 57 TR shell, 375 MM basswood (traditional style).

22898545630_46ceded007_b.jpg

The 7th Testa Rossa.

22797139717_536453f45d_b.jpg

Collage of all the other TR's ...

23194687285_41d7561575_b.jpg

Here's a traditional styled 375MM Ferrari. This is a basswood carving and you can see it has had many chunks removed and reshaped. Umpteen coats of paint applied over the years. This car is 90% done now ... engine, interior and gas tank. I'll get some pics soon.

22826880869_ff54c45f8b_z.jpg

Very tricky shape to get right ... for me anyway.

22566352414_de606033fa_z.jpg

Frank

• Like 5

There's a railways sub forum on BM Frank, lots of members also interested in them. I'd also like to see your Flying Scot pics!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/239-locos-trains-and-layouts/

Keith

OK I've posted a couple of pictures of Flying Scotsman ... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992475-scratch-built-flying-scotsman/

• 2 weeks later...