revell Thermopylae

kpnuts

Seriously impressive. I've always had my doubts about plastic renditions of wooden objects, but you have worked some real magic on this so far!

Is there any strengthening in the masts to avoid breakages or distortion?

the question raised about the area around the galley cabin has me stumped too. I've built almost all of the ships Revell put out in the 1:96 series.......it's an interesting story. Some companies have used the same molds to create other kits......the 1:96 series is no different. there were several in the series......some say that the whale ship Morgan is in there to, but I have never seen it.

the U.S.S. Constitution--------> the U.S.S. United States

the Cutty Sark------------------->the Thermopylae

the C.S.S. Alabama------------>the U.S.S. Kearsarge {they have one on Old Models.com for $355}

the Spanish Galleon----------->no knock off made

each kit has a knock off.........there are perhaps small subtle differences.......like, in the United States kit, your likely to find a few extra pieces thrown in one of the off color bags. I have never built the Thermopylae......apparently the difference in this kit, is the galley cabin....although I can't see what Revell was thinking for doing it. I've read articles where folks complained, because they found Cutty decals in their Thermopylae kit. seeing KP's build {on another site}, made me want one.......so I asked for it for Christmas. I got a couple of kits I wanted from the Old Model.com {my wife got 'em for me}, but no Thermopylae. she told me they were out, so she got me a Sergal Thermopylae {wood kit} very nice kit, by the way ;) I never built the Kearsarge either......as I can see now.....I will never get to build one.........these kits back in the day, only went for $89.

to strengthen the masts, some folks put brass rod in side.......you can substitute wood. some have even used metal eye bolts as opposed to the plastic ones.........I've never done that, and I've had no problems {but then again, I don't string my vessels like a bow} :D:D

Hi KP! :popcorn: mind if I watch?

Well I'm so cross with myself, went to do some rigging on this and dropped it, snapped off the rear mast broke the shrouds on the fore mast snapped some of the rigging on the bowsprit, a few of the hatches have come off, broken some of the stanchions round the top of the rear cabin. luckily nothing that cant be fixed but its put me back quite a bit, Grrrr and no one to blame but my butter fingers. I could almost swear, flippin heck, blimey and fiddle sticks (sorry for the profanities there)

Nice to see you Popeye welcome to Britmodller I'm sure you will love it here, you guys on here are in for a treat.

• Like 1

Already done that, I have noticed the rudder wheel is missing so that must have came off, will have to do a search and rescue mission for that (missus has already hoovered this morning so first port of call will be the hoover)

Just read through this build log, looks very good indeed, and I think will look stunning when complete - shame about the little set back from dropping (we've all done it before), frustrating to have to put time in just to get back to where you were, but once caught back up it'll be 'full steam ahead' again (well, 'set sail' I suppose, but you know what I mean).

Already done that, I have noticed the rudder wheel is missing so that must have came off, will have to do a search and rescue mission for that (missus has already hoovered this morning so first port of call will be the hoover)

And another reason not to buy Heller: Their models obey the laws of gravity :clown::bleh::clown::bleh::clown::winkgrin:

Beautiful build, the copper and wood effect is awesome.

Revell used a lot of molds under different names. My last finished sailing ship was Revells S.M.S Seeadler, while building it ( 20 years ago but it still exist in good fashion ) i learned that the kit is just their Gorch Fock kit in 1:2?? with different sails and two guns.

Maybe a suggestion for the Bundeswehr ?

Inspiring build, i have re started building sailing ships.

Beautiful build of what seems to be one of Revell's best , i'll be keeping an eye on this build seeing at the original was built in aberdeen .

There's a beautiful model of the original in the aberdeen Maritime Museum , it must be close to 1/48th and it has been an inspiration for me for years ..

http://www.aagm.co.uk/thecollections/objects/object/Thermopylae-Clipper-Ship?l

I've got the Constitution in the stash , but I think its one for my retirement !

• Like 2

the Constitution is a fine looking vessel.......built one for my mother when I was a youth. with the studding sails added, they really widen her out. I have the United States..my second go around with this kit, and I did something a bit different with those pesky decks. Revell could have done them as a one piece, but instead they have them in three sections {makes it hard to line them up}. I made wood decks for the gun, spar, and poop deck. really got to get back to her......been a year already.

hey KP.......how's it going? have you made your repairs? sounds like the damage wasn't to severe....did you find the ship's wheel yet? at least you didn't do what I did. I took the first build of the united states out on the porch to clean it. I left it to do something else.......and a wind came up and sent it down to the asphalt below. needless to say the the ship was trash. I looked for many years to find another one...luckily my dream came true ;) I still have the Cutty Sark, second go around on that ship as well.......I gotta fix some lines. they got torn out during a move. all I had left to do was the studding sails and the braces. hoping you've made good progress :)

That's a fantastic model. I've never had the nerve to try plastic sailing ship kits.

Incidentally, the liquid of choice for weathering copper is urine. Roofers swear by it.

Hi all yep repairs complete (well apart from the wheel which I've found now but since the locating pin broke off, it's being a whatsit to glue back on)(why is it super glue sticks instantly when you don't want it to and just plain won't when you do) I've stuck that wheel on at least half a dozen times (last time I held it there for ten mins till I thought it was stuck, next time I looked it had sagged and was tilted at quite a jaunty angle) think I will have to try and fashion some sort of jig to hold it till it's set.

• Like 2