Gannet T.5 to the UK, FLYING!

Radleigh

This beauty

12196257_923106734448171_192178402074192

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!
We can now announce one of the worlds largest military and commercial trade shows, Farnborough airshow UK has officially invited Team Gannet and "Janet" to make "Star Appearance" for the week of their event in 2016 with her performing for the public as part of the air display on the Saturday and Sunday of their event. We have agreed to come but need help. If everyone can help "Janet" achieve this she will be coming home to Farnborough via Antonov 124 transport to the very place she debut 62 years ago as the worlds first dual control prototype, and the last of the prototypes to survive from that special era such as the Vulcan and many other prototypes long gone. "We have allocated highly visible places for corporate advertising on Janet and the team apparel for this unique historic appearance and we ask all of you to help direct potential donors, businesses and corporations to contact us as early as possible to make this world first come true for this amazing aircraft, the UK and Royal Navy, and European aviation historians. Please be a part of helping her come back to the home she debut at !!!!. "History is in the making"

If it happens, I will be over the moon..... I can remember seeing a Gannet fly in the late 80's early 90's at a RAF Mildenhall Air Fete, but it's a distant memory being a child!

• Like 8

Would be great to see this fly.

But Beauty ? I know its all in the eye of the beholder, but man, that's plain crazy talk !!

Yes, BEAUTY... Check out that smile under the props!! Man I can't flipping wait. Fingers and every toe crossed.

Great news and I hope that they pull it off,......I`ve been wondering what was going on with this `beauty' since it failed to cross the Atlantic,

Cheers

Tony

Don't let's start the corporate advertising argument. It has been done to death on UKAR and other fora. For me, I'd be grateful to see a Gannet airworthy, even if it was covered in marketing slogans.

But maybe it could be appropriate. With a name like Gannet, maybe it could be sponsored by McDonalds? Or, as it is such a sleek, elegant aircraft :whistle: perhaps it could be sponsored by a beauty treatment company?

• Like 2

I'll be ecstatic if I get to see her. I'll be keeping an eye open to see whether the tour is a possibility, which in fairness would make sense after they've tugged it all that way. Farnborough is a bit of a hike from Oop North. :hmmm:

Don't let's start the corporate advertising argument. It has been done to death on UKAR and other fora.

Yes. Let's not do that, eh? :fight:

• Like 2

Nice one Radleigh thanks for the heads-up.

I/we use to get up close and personal with these bad boys, because the Gannet did not have nose wheel steering when the a/c taxied on deck a nose wheel steering arm was used to improve manoeuvrability, which meant at times you got quite close to the whirling-dervishes at the front, could be a bit hairy at times, not sure if H&S would allow it nowadays, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cALccuPShQc check out between 6.14 and 6.24

Happy days, thanks again Radleigh

RR

Nice one Radleigh thanks for the heads-up.

I/we use to get up close and personal with these bad boys, because the Gannet did not have nose wheel steering when the a/c taxied on deck a nose wheel steering arm was used to improve manoeuvrability, which meant at times you got quite close to the whirling-dervishes at the front, could be a bit hairy at times, not sure if H&S would allow it now a days, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cALccuPShQc check out between 6.14 and 6.24

Happy days, thanks again Radleigh

RR

Cheers for the link to the film RR,

Great to see the teamwork going on to get those aircraft off, around and back onto deck,.....like a well oiled machine and H&S would have a fit nowadays!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Don`t let the Gannet go to Culdrose,.......look what they did to the last Gannet to reside there,.........the head honcho at the time ordered the Skyraider and Gannet owned by the 849 NAS Association off his airfield and the Gannet ended up at Chatham Dockyard where it descended into bad condition,...I`m not sure if it is still there? I think that the Skyraider went into external storage at Yeovilton?

I`m pretty sure that Yeovilton would book the Gannet for their Airday,.....probably Culdrose too,......but beware,....don`t let it land there in case the old boss is still lurking!

Cheers

Tony

This beauty

12196257_923106734448171_192178402074192

If it happens, I will be over the moon..... I can remember seeing a Gannet fly in the late 80's early 90's at a RAF Mildenhall Air Fete, but it's a distant memory being a child!

That would be great news and looking at the phot, it seems Janet approves, such a happy smiley looking aircraft.

Is there a name for a collective of Gannets ?

Blessing?

• Like 1

Don`t let the Gannet go to Culdrose,.......look what they did to the last Gannet to reside there,.........the head honcho at the time ordered the Skyraider and Gannet owned by the 849 NAS Association off his airfield and the Gannet ended up at Chatham Dockyard where it descended into bad condition,...I`m not sure if it is still there? I think that the Skyraider went into external storage at Yeovilton?

I`m pretty sure that Yeovilton would book the Gannet for their Airday,.....probably Culdrose too,......but beware,....don`t let it land there in case the old boss is still lurking!

Cheers

Tony

I believe that the then-Captain is the same nincompoop who is now the Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall, and he is as unloved there as he was when at Culdrose. But worry-ye-not about XL500. She is now at St. Athan with Horizon Aircraft Services, and undergoing restoration to flight.

gannet-xl500-aew-3-g-kaew1.jpg

http://www.horizonaircraft.co.uk/

• Like 5

Thanks for that info T7,.....nice to hear that the Gannet finally found a decent home. Lets hope that said `nincompoop' isn`t voted in next time,.....then he`ll have to turn his hand to making himself unpopular elsewhere,.......maybe he could go into politics or if all else fails become a traffic warden,.....although he might find the latter quite mentally taxing?

Cheers

Tony

Would be great to see this fly. But Beauty ? I know its all in the eye of the beholder, but man, that's plain crazy talk !!

The Gannet is an ugly beast but has a strange beauty of it's own,

A contradiction in statement, perhaps but her beauty is more than skin deep- don't ask me what it is- but it is there.

• Like 2

The Gannet is an ugly beast but has a strange beauty of it's own,

A contradiction in statement, perhaps but her beauty is more than skin deep- don't ask me what it is- but it is there.

I agree the Gannet is a strange looking beast but as you say it has a beauty of its own I was trying to remember when I last saw one flying and I think it was at Mildenhall or Biggin Hill !

Was it Neil Moffet owned it or was flying ?

Guy

Edited by F4u