Airfix Harrier GR.3, Cold Winter 1979

Hello!

One and a half year ago I started a Harrier GR.3, but I never got round to finish it.

I think it's time to do so now! Main reason is that I want to paint something, and since my Tiffie is still in the detailing stages the urge to shoot some paint around is big.

But first, a recap of what's been done so far!

Here's what I'll use for this build (i have another GR.3 that will be decked out with more AM stuff)

output_zpssctaeqso.jpg

Yes, that's a replacement fin from Freightdog. 2mm too short height for the Airfix one, and not something i'd be bothered fix by myself.

I started with the bits that goes bang, and promptly raided the other kit for its rockets.

They probably never flew during the exercise with all four pods, but it just looks cooler this way.
P1030317_zps3700d362.jpg

That means that my second kit will have a recon pod and a Sidewinder, together with some fueltanks, but that will not happen this year.

The Gunpods benefited from drilling and opening of some holes.
P1030318_zps3a24ed73.jpg
And why not drill out the fuel dumping pipe as well?
P1030314_zpsd9d1bec0.jpg

After much fussing with how to paint the intake I found this thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947602-another-one-for-the-harrier-gr1-experts/,

And promptly painted one of the green, that other grey.

20140702_184904_zpsa70de0d3.jpg

Well, my guess after reading BM for too long is the the rocket pods at this time probably were mostly unpainted, maybe like this,
20140706_203339_zps8b08bd9a.jpg

Keeping with the loud stuff, here's the bang seat:
20140710_195927_zps2f3de7c7.jpg
Four plastic parts, and two small stencils.
20140710_195943_zps9acad543.jpg
Turned out nice enough closed 'hood!

Cockpit complete
20140710_200000_zpsa589890e.jpg
20140710_200018_zpsa8cdad88.jpg

The next one will have a Zoom set, to spice it up further!

Added the nose without the extra warts, since that equipment wasn't installed at that time. (Falklands only?)

20140713_162816_zps7bbeac7d.jpg
The fin was installed, and fitted perfectly, except for a tiny air bubble which was filled.
20140713_164518_zps476fb151.jpg

Eagleeyed spotters can see that the elevator isn't installed. I reasoned that with grey undersides the masking job will be very tricky to solve, and cut the onepiece affair in two.
20140713_164208_zps478dbf41.jpg

There's a huge gap on the underside of the main wing though :-(
20140713_162913_zpsd9b65c16.jpg
Plastic shims to the rescue!

20140720_095741_zpsa7ff4fa6.jpg
20140720_100000_zpsd553486a.jpg
Looks quite ok.

The gunpods have a big gap too, but i plan to fill that with all kind of dirt and goo. There's no such thing as clean gunpods, i'm sure, especially on the underside of an british fighter!

After that, the underside was cleaned up, and sprayed Light Aircraft Gray (Xtracrylix)

20140731_094056_zpsc1f0d1c0.jpg

Now, the plan is to winterize this one, more or less like RAF did it.

That means, normal cammo colors on, gloss coat, decals, more glosscoat, hairspray and white, add scratches with a toothbrush or similar, and then seal it with a final flat coat? What could possibly go wrong?

Just to be sure, i experimented on an old MiG-21 fin.

Dark green with Alclad Aqua gloss.
20140724_091331_zps84c6ad3f.jpg
Then, Hairspray and Tamiya white.
20140724_092300_zps8261b5e2.jpg
One hard brush and some water later:
20140724_092751_zpsbb407f2b.jpg
This could actually work, I think!

And that was the start.

Let see how it goes in the coming weeks

//Christer

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 10

Quite a few of us are watching your progress to pick up trips for our own projects :thumbsup:

No pressure then, eh?

:coolio:

Hi,

A very fine built so far. I will be following it with great interest, especially your winter effect method.

Cheers,

Antoine

Thanks Antoine!

Yeah, I can't wait to try it. My main worry is how to cover the decals, without them beeing ripped of in the process.

But that's a later problem!

P1040044_zpsotdwdg9s.jpg

Gunze Dark Sea Gray went on without a problem.

This will cure for a few days before the big taping session, but hopefully I can get it done during model club meeting in friday evening.

'Till next time!

//Christer

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well, what do you know...I didn't finish the masking during the club night. Surprise! (not)

It took me almost 3 hours to mask it all up, but it got done finally.

P1040061_zpsluuowtkg.jpg

Them some Gunze Dark green (the late version, not the WWII shade) hit the model with some help of my fancy Iwata.

P1040062_zpsjx9ojg7n.jpg

Now I'm contemplating the next step.

Should I remove all masks, glosscoat put on the decals, more glosscoat, cover all (and they're lots of them) decals with tape, pray to the modelling gods that the tape isn't strong enough to pull off the decals, and mask the Dark sea grey again (and partially the underside) and then do the winterization?

Or is it a better approach to guess where all stencils are supposed to go, cover that spot with tape and then do the hairspray + white trick?

Less risk of ripping of the decals, but a larger guesswork trying to cover them.

Decisions decisions.

It seems though that the groundcrew was very careful when splashing around the winterwash, because it looks very neat, with all stencils properly covered and all edges are quite sharp.

I'll let the question sit for a while...

//Christer

• Like 1

Well, what do you know...I didn't finish the masking during the club night. Surprise! (not)

It took me almost 3 hours to mask it all up, but it got done finally.

P1040061_zpsluuowtkg.jpg

Them some Gunze Dark green (the late version, not the WWII shade) hit the model with some help of my fancy Iwata.

P1040062_zpsjx9ojg7n.jpg

Now I'm contemplating the next step.

Should I remove all masks, glosscoat put on the decals, more glosscoat, cover all (and they're lots of them) decals with tape, pray to the modelling gods that the tape isn't strong enough to pull off the decals, and mask the Dark sea grey again (and partially the underside) and then do the winterization?

Or is it a better approach to guess where all stencils are supposed to go, cover that spot with tape and then do the hairspray + white trick?

Less risk of ripping of the decals, but a larger guesswork trying to cover them.

Decisions decisions.

It seems though that the groundcrew was very careful when splashing around the winterwash, because it looks very neat, with all stencils properly covered and all edges are quite sharp.

I'll let the question sit for a while...

//Christer

On mine, I sprayed a section of decal sheet Dark Green. I then added the relevant decal, including the serials, and then cut them out and added them to the white painted sections....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951646-airfix-harrier-gr1a-two-gr3s-and-a-gr5-in-172nd/page-2

Edited by Bill Clark

Id personally take this route - providing you apply the gloss coat adequetly and allow at least 24hrs drying, it should be ok over decals, especially if you use a low tack tape?

With the same scheme planned some day in the future I was planing to spend a lot of time measuring decals to create masks then add the decals after the painting stage but before weathering was completed.

It seems to me that the best way after all is to go the whole hog with de masking, masking and the whole lot...

Lets get cracking! I'll make a photocopy of the decals and use that to create the masks, but first, I'll just bask in the glory of tape removal:

P1040069_zpsmwcdvvp5.jpg

P1040070_zpsvfxmwynn.jpg

I'm very happy with this result!

Still having a stupid hope that I do not need to remove the tape from the wings, since that is quite tricky to mask.

It'll probably backfire badly...

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

The experiment with masking tape on top of the decals turned out (as expeted) a disaster.

Quite a few decals were destroyed in the process, and as a result I shelved the model for years.

Recently I got a GR9 from a mate and in that process I dug up this bugger again. Was it possible to save in some way?

It turned out to be the case.

Or rather, I just took the lazy approach and attached some decals, not totally correct for XV778 but it looks allright from a distance.

49323147913_7cdc2ccf1e_o.jpg

49323633111_fdf3c46780_o.jpg

Right, that's almost all stickers in place, time for Micro Sol to do its magic and then it's off to the weathering station.

• Like 5