Tiger II, April 1945 (shots heavy ;) )

Wolwe82

You guys are realy way too kind to me :) Thanks a lot for your nice words :)

to Badder - to be honest, i was not sure what to do with the aerial - on the old black and white photos you can mostly see just black stripe and i did not have much time to do some deeper research :( I have already gave the model away, so sadly i can not change anything on it, but for my future builds, could you explain what you mean with "beat it up a bit" ? :) Like bend it or scratch it? As i said i m not AFV modeller usualy, but i liked the build so i ll probably build more AFV´s in the future, so this could help to my next builds :)

I just think the aerial looks too 'new' and clean compared to the rest of the tank. I'd have put a bend in it and 'dirtied' it up a bit. But then, maybe the crew stowed it away a lot of the time so it's been protected. I very nearly bought this model, but decided the tank didn't have the kind of surface details that I like... too many smooth featureless planes.... but having seen your model, I've realised that the camouflage pattern combined with a good bit of weathering, is PLENTY of detail in its own right! I defo think I will purchase one of these next!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, you are realy way too kind to the model:) But ofcourse i m happy you guys like it, yet i know there is still a lot of room to improve :)

Badder - thanks, i ll keep the aerial weathering in mind for next kit, it is definitely something i somehow missed :(

As for the kit, i had also the feeling the surface is too smooth and such (but maybe it is just because it was my first AFV in such a big scale in my life). So i did one thing - i took minidrill, used the sphere grinding adapter and gently touched the surface here and there, to give it a bit rough feeling, then i used some soft sandpaper and smoothed the surface a bit where it left too hard edges. In the end i have used tamiya extra thin cement all over the surface. Watching photos of real Tigers later, i think it was not the best thing (not the most realistic) thing i could do, but generaly it gave the surface a bit of interest (or i hope so) :)

Edit: i was also adding some more basic details to the surface, like adding texture to the edges of armour plates (too late i have noticed i made these way way too rough :( ) and some holders and such, but generaly, i loved the kit and the detail they were adding, so many hooks and holders are just in the kit too :) all in all, i m definitely going to buy one for myself later again.

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

That is soooooooo good.  I congratulate you particularly on a realistic colour for the tracks and spare links: not smothered in bright rust as too many do.  And not too much unrealistic rust elsewhere.

If I might offer a little suggestion to finish it off, the MG34 ammo belt needs a touch of paint.  The central link section should be black and the bullets copper.  At this time of the war it's a toss-up whether the cartridge cases would be brass or steel.  The latter had a green-ish tinge.

I see that you've painted the gun barrel in red primer.  German gun barrels were factory-finished in a semi-gloss grey lacquer and AFAIK the grey or dark yellow was applied directly over this without further primer.  Sometimes they were left in that grey, especially if replaced in the field. 

BTW, that design of track with the 4-piece connector links with small separate end pieces was apparently only used on a very few early King Tigers and the 12 Jagdtigers with the Porsche suspension, although both Friul and Spade Ace market them as KT tracks.  They proved too weak and were replaced by the later and far more common design where both types of link were single-piece. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 8:12 AM, Biggles87 said:

So this is where you're hiding? Not seen you on any aeroplane threads recently, or perhaps I've just been looking on the wrong ones.

Happy New Year .

John

PS. amazing build.

Thanks John, happy new year to you as well :) 

Sadly, this build is over 3years old already. I have been very busy in last two years and didnt have much time for modeling. And almost no time at all to post on forums :( Well, there wasnt much to post though.. i have finished like 4-5 models over the last 2 years only, most of them were built in big time pressure :( I hope it gets better and i ll have again more time, but it wont happen for half year at least i think.. We got a little baby (he ll be 1 year old in the beginning of february), so thats where all my time is gone.. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...