Tiger II, April 1945 (shots heavy ;) )

Wolwe82

Hey guys, i would like to show you my last finished kit. It is the very first armour kit since i came back to the modelling 2 years ago (hell the time flies fast!). One would say it does not matter, planes or tanks.. and bigger scale should be easier to make, right? Well, from my view, there are differences and bigger scales does not mean it ll be easier to make details.. :) Anyway, the build was a lot of fun to me, so i think soon i ll have a look on the 1/72 tanks in my stash :)

The Tiger II was built for my friend to celebrate his fresh new engineering degree - ordered by his wife to surprise him, so i hope he ll be surprised in good :) You can find the WIP thread h with aftermarket parts used ere http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990910-tiger-ii-april-1945-weathering-stage-dragon-135/, but because i had only month for the build (working on it on the few free days during the month), i did not have time to take shots of every little progress there :(

Anyway, part of the gift was some wooden base (supplied by my friend´s wife) - and it was quite huge.. So i decided to build two little grass "isles" on it, with some ammo boxes and other stuff, to fill the empty areas.

DSCN2221.jpg

DSCN2222.jpg

DSCN2223.jpg

DSCN2224.jpg

DSCN2226.jpg

Now to the tank itself :)

At the beginning we said there wont be any interior (because of the limited time), so everything is closed. Also i did show some camo schemes to my friend´s wife and she chosed the late war scheme as the nicest to her. I did some researching around and like 30 King Tigers were finished in this scheme - sadly i did not find any photo of any of these, so the camouflage is kind of what-if (used Rom1´s E-75 as an inspiration, thanks! :) ). Everything of the weathering stage (or well, the very most of it) was new to me and i was also experimenting a bit with artistic stuff.. Well, here is the result :)

DSCN2228.jpg

DSCN2235.jpg

DSCN2236.jpg

DSCN2238.jpg

DSCN2239.jpg

DSCN2240.jpg

DSCN2241.jpg

DSCN2242.jpg

DSCN2243.jpg

DSCN2245.jpg

DSCN2246.jpg

DSCN2247.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

DSCN2249.jpg

DSCN2250.jpg

more to come.. ;)

• Like 29

And more shots.. those from aircraft section knows me, i make tons of shots and then i cant decide which one to use.. so i use most of them here.. :whistle:

The water jerry can :)

3_1.jpg

DSCN2256.jpg

DSCN2257.jpg

DSCN2258.jpg

DSCN2259.jpg

DSCN2260.jpg

DSCN2261.jpg

DSCN2262.jpg

DSCN2263.jpg

DSCN2264.jpg

DSCN2265.jpg

DSCN2266.jpg

DSCN2269.jpg

DSCN2270.jpg

DSCN2272.jpg

DSCN2273.jpg

DSCN2274.jpg

DSCN2276.jpg

DSCN2279.jpg

DSCN2280.jpg

Thanks a lot guys for taking your time and watching the build :) I know there are imperfections, caused by both lack of skill and lack of researching of the real subject done. But i believe i did learn a lot by building this KT and i m pretty sure this is not my last AFV subject :) Have a great day guys

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 32

You are waaaaayyyyy too modest!! That is a masterclass in tank building and painting/weathering!! As I said in your WIP - Absolutely brilliant!! Superb weathering and detailing as always. Top notch modelling!! :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

And it was done in a short amount of time too. Truly stunning. With some careful photography and the right background it could be mistaken for the real thing.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Even the water jerry can looks brilliant. I love all of it. I've seen another Tiger II with the same camouflage scheme, and it surely is the best one used by the Germans. The only thing I DON'T like is the aerial. Can you not beat it up a bit?? lol

• Like 1

You guys are realy way too kind to me :) Thanks a lot for your nice words :)

to Badder - to be honest, i was not sure what to do with the aerial - on the old black and white photos you can mostly see just black stripe and i did not have much time to do some deeper research :( I have already gave the model away, so sadly i can not change anything on it, but for my future builds, could you explain what you mean with "beat it up a bit" ?:) Like bend it or scratch it? As i said i m not AFV modeller usualy, but i liked the build so i ll probably build more AFV´s in the future, so this could help to my next builds :) thanks

You guys are realy way too kind to me :) Thanks a lot for your nice words :)

to Badder - to be honest, i was not sure what to do with the aerial - on the old black and white photos you can mostly see just black stripe and i did not have much time to do some deeper research :( I have already gave the model away, so sadly i can not change anything on it, but for my future builds, could you explain what you mean with "beat it up a bit" ? :) Like bend it or scratch it? As i said i m not AFV modeller usualy, but i liked the build so i ll probably build more AFV´s in the future, so this could help to my next builds :) thanks

You have got to be kidding!!! It's a fantasctic job!!

I keep coming back to this post any am continually amazed at the level of detail, the weathering and pretty much everything to do with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

• Like 1

Once again thanks a lot to all of you, guys :) I m realy so happy you like the Tiger!

It looks fantastic but can you change the cat for a tabby (better camo) :thumbsup:...

Haha, i have chosed black cat with white paws/nose, just because i did not know if i could paint other colours good enough ;)

Some excellent painting & weathering skills on display there.

In terms of technique & finish, I much prefer this to many of the builds featured in some of the recent glossy "how-to" books authored by so-called "master modellers". While being undeniably very talented, these guys all too often weather and rust up their subject to within an inch of its life, and ultimately ruin it (for me anyway) with a completely overdone and unrealistic finish.

This on the other hands gets the balance pretty much spot on to my eye. Great job!

- Steve

• Like 1