Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

I've just been playing catch-up on this, and as well as your work being the usual high standard (have you also got a new camera?), it's good to see how well the resin outer panel blends with the kit inner. A testament to the quality of Glen's set :)

Hi Mike,

Sorry I missed responding to your camera question. No new camera, but am using the new daylight lamp I got from Telford for taking pictures which now means I don't have to wait for daylight....which due to work was only possible at the weekends during the winter....damn the winter!

Got the windows glued in using Gator Grip that the general so kindly help me track down at Telford. Although it takes longer to dry than CA, it dries clear, no risk of fogging and is extremely strong. Should have the fuselage together today.

Hi Woody

Sorry to kind of piggy back on your thread - it IS Blackbird's Manchester conversion related :)

I've been trying to contact them to inquire about the status of my order - I've emailed, then PMed on BM - then I noticed Glen had been on this thread. If you remember next time he's on, could you just let him know I've PMed him please? Obviously if I'm around when he posts I'll pop in, but i seem to be too slow when it comes to thread updates!

Thanks awfully :)

Jim

(dying to start his Manchester :))

Hi Woody

Sorry to kind of piggy back on your thread - it IS Blackbird's Manchester conversion related :)

I've been trying to contact them to inquire about the status of my order - I've emailed, then PMed on BM - then I noticed Glen had been on this thread. If you remember next time he's on, could you just let him know I've PMed him please? Obviously if I'm around when he posts I'll pop in, but i seem to be too slow when it comes to thread updates!

Thanks awfully :)

Jim

(dying to start his Manchester :))

I received my three Lancaster conversions this week from Blackbird. Glenn has been snowed under with this and other work it seems and I get the impression that he is slowly getting on top of his orders. They are all well worth the wait believe me.

Regards

Jim (Trying to find the time to start his Manchester)!

Got some work done on the Manchester yesterday. The fuselage is now stitched up, the wings just dry fitted for now.

I had a vac mid upper turret left over from the Planet kit, so decided to use this for the build. It is a bit wider than the Blackbird one, so scratch built a new fairing. Looking at pictures of the mid upper fairing, it is a very subtle one, so plasticard was cut to shape and blended in, even now, it looks too prominent, so I may sand it down further. The central fin has a tab, so I drilled the fuselage out to allow the tab to slot in making the join very strong. I'm still finalising the choice for scheme, but it will be one with wavy demarcation lines.

Something else to consider is that the Mk.I had a mast protruding from the rear cockpit glazing, so this will need drilling out to allow the mast to slide in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

Now are you using the rear turret from the Airfix kit? The one l built l managed to get a upper turret from a Stirling but l can't remember what rear turret l used

No, both a mid upper and rear turret some with the set, so I'll be using the conversion part. On the Planet kit, I used the Falcon set rear turret from a Sunderland and kitbashed the other bits. Not brilliant, but better than using an FN20. The Blackbird part is great.

I received my three Lancaster conversions this week from Blackbird. Glenn has been snowed under with this and other work it seems and I get the impression that he is slowly getting on top of his orders. They are all well worth the wait believe me.

Regards

Jim (Trying to find the time to start his Manchester)!

Hi Jim

THREE conversions?! :)

I thought it was probably a case of Glen having a lot of orders - I should imagine a lot if interest was generated by SMW. Having seen the quality on this thread I can see why!

Best wishes

Jimbo

• Like 1

Absolutely! Just need to get a 1/48 one sorted now :)

I've modified the hole around the mid upper, it wasn't quite looking right. I think I'd filed the hole open too much at the sides in fettling the fairings, so filled them in with some plasticard to raise the height. I'll stick some pictures up later to show the difference. Been side tracked with orders from the domestic manager, had to put Christmas decorations up!!

• Like 1

What....good grief, ours don't get put up until the 23rd and then go back in the box on the 27th, but then we don't have nippers any more and we're never in residence over the festivities, (why eat at home when you can clear someone else's pantry out !).......bah humbug and all that, and if Santy Claus comes anywhere near my chimney I'll get my man to blast him off the property.... :mg::santa:

• Like 2

Neil, you're not thinking big enough! Get Glen to start on his Manchester (and Lincoln) conversion(s) for the 1/32nd scale Lancaster (which will hopefully be released some time during the reign of the current Monarch).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Can you imagine the weight of the resin? Do agree though, a 1/32 Manchester would be the second best thing to a real one!

Here's the improved mid upper fairing, I know it is only a small improvement, but I wasn't happy with what I'd done first time round. The first picture shows the original inset and the modified layout in the main image...

spacer.png

Next step is masking ready for the paint job

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

Really stunning work. Having now examined my sets received from Blackbird I am very impressed with the quality of the resin. I won't even be thinking of getting mine going until the New Year and I am learning a lot from this excellent thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

This is right up to your usual standard - need I say more?

I was "inspired" enough to drag mine out from hibernation. It was intended to be a very early Manchester. it was started many years ago (one of my few unfinished projects) and abandoned when the transparencies started to go yellow. Sadly, it's probably destined for the rubbish bin.

23432422265_5e8b4b4e7b_b.jpg

• Like 3

I'd happily give her a new home. Looks good so far.

I was thinking the same thing - send her 'round my way

It's got a few problems - yeah, okay - it needs basic modelling skills!

It's a long way away to send anywhere and what would you do for transparencies?

It's got a few problems - yeah, okay - it needs basic modelling skills!

It's a long way away to send anywhere and what would you do for transparencies?

Use normal Lancaster ones as a mature variant - say Rolls had been given the time to sort out the engines?

I do have long term plans for a Centaurus Manchester.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0