Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

Neil, I've got an entire squadron of started/half-completed/completed but no decals, etc. members of the Lancaster family. To add to this, I've been recently working on the Airfix MR.2. In my house, there's always room for another half-completed member of the Lancaster family. Now where did I put that 100 Group Lanc with the ABC aerials...

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

Looking good Neil, as for the two slackers above. Nothing better for shaking up the mojo than getting back into a half started/finished started model. Jump to it lads...

Colin

• Like 3

Well it appears I that have but little choice but to get back to one of my long-stalled Lancaster-family projects. Now which one, becomes the question (you don't mind me hijacking this thread a little, do you Neil?, there's a good fellow, Salt of the Earth!): my largely-finished GR.3, my very almost-completed and semi-legendary Manchester which suffered an unfortunate accident just before completion, my semi-complete Grand Slam and Canadian Mk.10MR (wings, landing gear, and tail surfaces done; fuselages still need completing), my still-needs-a-bit-in-the-way-of-filling Lancaster Mk.VI, my cut-up but never seriously put back together again Lincoln conversion (Flightpath conversion), etc.*

Regards,

Jason

*My never-started Manchester Mk.IA, my also never-started 100 Group Lancaster with the ABC aerials and the Rose turret, my almost-completed Australian Lincoln (DB conversion), my painted and decalled but not quite finished MR.2 conversion from the old Frog Shackleton kit, my Modelcraft/Frog MR.3 kit (just got some of the de-rivetting done on that one), my got quite a bit done on it but inevitably stalled Airfix B.II, and last but certainly not least my just-started Airfix Shackleton MR.2. See, that makes 13 - I told you I had enough for a (under-strength) squadron! Ye Gods, I must have some sort of psychiatric condition - 13 started, none completed! This is going to take some sorting out, perhaps even an intervention of some type, so back to you and your build Neil; at least I know you'll finish your model.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 3

Well firstly I think you should change your handle to 'Old semi-complete' to accurately convey to others the severity of your condition.......an absolute disgrace man....should be drummed out of the Duke of Lancaster's formation flower arranging team and secondly I'm pretty sure I saw your mojo recently thumbing a ride on the M20 towards Dover, passport in hand !

There also seems to be rather a lot in the 'etc' list old fruit.......(mind you I can't talk I have more 'nearly builts' than 'actual builts' myself, a condition that only seems to worsen with age... :doh:)

• Like 2

Yes, General, sadly I have let the flower arranging team down. And not for the first time either, I might add (there was the rather unfortunate time I was asked to spell out the Royal Family's name in flowers, and I spelled out 'Saxe-Coburg-Gotha' in peonies instead of 'Windsor', the real pity being that 'Windsor' is a lot easier to spell out). I'd ask my avatar for advice, but I do believe that the good Marshal's response would be something like 'Blast the imperialist capitalistic trash, build Shturmoviks, more Shturmoviks!'. But I suppose I can slip in a Lanc or two before Comrade Zhukov notices and exiles me to Siberia. Back to you, Neil, before this thread slips into utter (but amusing) madness.

Yours Humbly,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

Nice Mancaster Neil :)

Sorry to hear your sick , me too worst best Infection ever :)

Not far off being done now eh :)

Cheers mate, should that of said chest infection? These damn predictive text things, how dare they predict what we might or might not say!

Well it appears I that have but little choice but to get back to one of my long-stalled Lancaster-family projects. Now which one, becomes the question (you don't mind me hijacking this thread a little, do you Neil?, there's a good fellow, Salt of the Earth!): my largely-finished GR.3, my very almost-completed and semi-legendary Manchester which suffered an unfortunate accident just before completion, my semi-complete Grand Slam and Canadian Mk.10MR (wings, landing gear, and tail surfaces done; fuselages still need completing), my still-needs-a-bit-in-the-way-of-filling Lancaster Mk.VI, my cut-up by never seriously put back together again Lincoln conversion (Flightpath conversion), etc.*

Regards,

Jason

*My never-started Manchester Mk.IA, my also never-started 100 Group Lancaster with the ABC aerials and the Rose turret, my almost-completed Australian Lincoln (DB conversion), my painted and decalled but not quite finished MR.2 conversion from the old Frog Shackleton kit, my Modelcraft/Frog MR.3 kit (just got some of the de-rivetting done on that one), my got quite a bit done on it but inevitably stalled Airfix B.II, and last but certainly not least my just-started Airfix Shackleton MR.2. See, that makes 13 - I told you I had enough for a (under-strength) squadron! Ye Gods, I must have some sort of psychiatric condition - 13 started, none completed! This is going to take some sorting out, perhaps even an intervention of some type, so back to you and your build Neil; at least I know you'll finish your model.

Well, we're spoilt for choice. The last one I remember getting worked on was the Mk.VI, that would give a bit of inspiration to crack on with mine after this! There again, the Manchester and MR.3 need some updates too!

• Like 2

But I suppose I can slip in a Lanc or two before Comrade Zhukov notices and exiles me to Siberia.

Zukov would be proud of you young fellaski !...terrible faux pas with the peonies Jason, just awful......reminds me of a similar incident I had with a bowl of pertunias and a sperm whale which I won't go into here....I see you have a Shturmovik anorak , mine's an Aquascutum, fits where it touches......does the job though !

Sorry to hear your sick , me too worst best Infection ever :)

Lummy Rob, amazing coincidence, I'm just getting over the best, worst infection I've ever had.... :bleh:

Learstang, on 23 Nov 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

But I suppose I can slip in a Lanc or two before Comrade Zhukov notices and exiles me to Siberia. Back to you, Neil, before this thread slips into utter (but amusing) madness.

...but Comrade, this is merely large, 4 engine Shturmovik! It has wings, just like Shturmovik! It carries bombs, just like Shturmovik! Just one is capable of destroying entire dam! Imagine what 13 can do when flown by glorious Soviet Air Force heroes!

• Like 3

Got the interior painted now, although the seatbelts need painting and tarting up a little. I'm not going overboard here with detail as despite the greenhouse above, little will be seen. Also, I've replicated the idea of gators on the oleo struts which the Manchesters had. These were made by wrapping wire around the strut and brake lines were added. Black primer was used.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

Coming on nicely Neil,

Me mate Martin did a BOAC "Mancunian" with a Manchester and a Lancastrian nose and tail.

Mancunian,...yes I like that,......what about the `Liverpudlian' dive bomber,....so named because it made a continuously loud whining noise!!

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Me mate Martin did a BOAC "Mancunian" with a Manchester and a Lancastrian nose and tail.

Presumably the engine note of the Mancunian was a sort of mid-pitched monotonous nasal whine...

[You might have guessed I am not from Manchester!]

Edit: memo to self: read threads all the way before posting. That way you already know that Tony O'T has already made the same joke, but better. D'oh!!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU