Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

Hiya Neil,

It was nice to chat at the weekend and thanks for letting me have a look at your Manc conversion,......I`m looking forward to seeing you build it. I bought an Airfix Lanc II for £15.99 at Wonderland Models at am toying with converting it into a Mk.VI!

Here are some Manchester`s which I quite like;

Manchester Mk I L7389 EA-L. She flew two operations with the squadron; Sgt Burton and crew took her to Cologne (1,000) 30th May 1942 Note the overpainted code `M'.

manchester_l7389_custom.jpg

L7380, EM-W,.....here is a link to more pics and the full story of its loss;http://ameland.waddengebiedindeoorlog.nl/luchtoorlog/080941-2/

manchester.jpg

and what looks like the same aircraft before the demarcation became `wiggly'?

AVROManchesterIL7380CM-W.jpg

Great nose art,....but I don`t know anymore;

AvroManchesterMarkIHoo-flungofNo97Squadr

Cockpit view;

AvroManchesterMarkIL7288EM-HofNo207Squad

There are some nice pics here too; http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?413

Good luck mate, I`ll be watching with great interest as usual,

Cheers

Tony

Edit- Neil,......I meant to say that I have the Midland Publishing Manchester book if you want to borrow it?

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

Great choice my friend , I have read that book cover to cover and it makes harrowing reading , That plane could fall out of the sky at any moment

Have to give those men who flew it the utmost respect.

I will watch your build with interest , I have the Paragon 1.48th conversion and you might tempt me to start mine.

• Like 1

Not wishing to steal anybodies thunder but I scratch built the wings and engines to produce these, (I too have the paragon set for the Airfix Lancaster still in the stash). That new resin moldings looks wonderful and of the highest quality.

22913414002_3d83f843f1_z.jpg

22508500527_12040aba3b_z.jpg

22534712899_14b083493d_z.jpg

22937980881_b221f44a69_z.jpg

Different colour schemes and I actually measured the wavy line to give me 13 'humps/dips' IIRC.

Good luck with the build, I'm sure it will turn out excellent.

• Like 9

l didn't see it but was there a decal sheet with that?

Hi Dave,

No there isn't.

Tony, thanks for those photo's and links, the wavy demarcation line is the way to go I think and like the idea of L7380 :)

Manc (not sure on your real name), that's a great build and super photo's too, loving this Manchester inspiration :)

Made a start on assembling the engines and cutting the wings tonight. Building has commenced!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

kev67, on 10 Nov 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

Do you know if the centre tail fin is the same as used on the Avro York.

It doesn't appear to be anything more than a family resemblance. The York's centre fin is much taller and slimmer than the Manchester's.

Avro_685_York_G-AGSP_BOAC_LAP_02.06.53_e

Man%20L7284.jpg

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 2

its www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk

Strange, when I use my Windows 7 machine at home, I get transferred to the WIX 'site yet on my iPad, no issues!

I'm sure that it was a woman that invented computers and the software, as I have absolutely no chance of understanding either :)

As an aside, I'm definitely looking forward to the Neptune set...

Edited by Tony C

Strange, when I use my Windows 7 machine at home, I get transferred to the WIX 'site yet on my iPad, no issues!

I'm sure that it was a woman that invented computers and the software, as I have absolutely no chance of understanding either :)

As an aside, I'm definitely looking forward to the Neptune set...

Could be you have a browser highjacker infesting your machine?

• Like 1

I'll be watching with interest , tried looking at the blackbird site myself but all it can get is a small photo of the lincoln conversion and all the rest is about the wix website builder stuff . No proper info on what blackbird offer :( Seems to be the wix site but with a small photo of blackbirds products added to it , the rest of it has nowt to do with blackbird .

Edited by taggart

we have knocked the wix site off so shouldn't be there.

Just our online store at www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk

I'll check tomorrow when I get up and if I still experience any issues, I'll let you know, thanks for reply though!

Had a play around with the engine and wing tonight. I need to add some outer wing spars to reinforce the joint and ensure I get the dihedral right, but initial indications are that all is well. There aren't any instructions in the box, but I soon noticed that you have to cut the plastic away on the kit wheel bay side pieces as the bay is slightly narrower and these parts are replicated by the resin replacement nacelle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 18

Good start Neil, sorry I'm late to the party just been manically busy trying to catch up with everything after the show, (more time emailing and writing than modelling post SMW!). The resin looks really good, hopefully I'll be getting hold of one of these sets soon as I know Chris is very keen on getting one in AMW in the near future and I said I was happy to oblige, (as if I haven't got enough on).

Glad the light's a success, I'd struggle without mine now, (with any luck you'll feel the same about the Uschi line !).

Great weekend mate, had a blast, you just need to get yourself over here so we can get over to 'Just Jane' for a bit of fun with the old girl...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Looking good so far Neil.

I've not checked my references yet but I'm guessing if you want to represent dropped flaps on the model do you have to perform surgery to the rear of the nacelle so it drops with the flap?

Regards,

Mark