Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

Nobody actually did. So no harm done if you leave it as is. In my case I could undo the shortening of the tailplanes.

At first I wanted to model one of the early Manchesters but I confess that I do not like the earlier camoflage with

the mid fuselage dividing line.

Cees

• Like 2

I know I'm late to the ball but I'm with THEM

It is a thing of beauty and it would not do any good to mess with it now

Just be proud of what you achieved, consider too that you used all the information that WAS available and made a stunner

I hope to see it at Huddersfield

You too :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Good decision, Neil. I just read through this thread again (to again marvel at your work!) and I noticed that even Rob, who wrote the book, couldn't tell from your photos which tailplane it had. He had to ask you. I think you're very safe leaving it as it is. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I wasn't happy with the grey colour, so gave a light covering of Tamiya Buff to lighten it a bit. Also tidied the black frame up using matt blackboard paint. I've started to stick the ground vehicles down now too, so the end is in sight :)

spacer.png

• Like 17

Hi bill,

It's just some blue card on the modelling bench, the photo booth is stashed away somewhere.

Got the Tilly finished tonight, just needs a Matt varnish. I've only got three figures at the moment and want to add some armourers about to load the Cookie.

Cheers

You've done a great job with this one Neil.

The base and figures really set it off. I look forward to seeing it at Huddersfield if you bring it and I hope to make use of the Merlin Nacelles on my Beaufighter soon.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

If there's room on the table, I'll bring the base and model. Look forwards to seeing the Merlin Beaufighter :)

Jason, yes, they look good together, I've got a third in the display pile too, but that could do with a renovation. You can never have enough Manchesters. Hope to do a 1/48 one, one day if I can get the bits.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Hi Y'all, On the vexed topic of Manchester tails I've just had contact with another Manchester freak who is/was a modeller. He made a 1/72nd scale Manchester conversion,too. He chose to mark it in the scheme shown on p344 of the Manchester book, which in my view is one of the three all time best Manchester pics.

This is Manchester Mk1 L7427 OL-Q of 83 Squadron.A "famous" & much-used pic.He told me he made his with a scale 28 foot tail,too. Maybe I'm the only one in the world to have a 1/72 scale Manchester Mk1 with a triple fin but a scale 33 foot tail?

By the way, I do remember the delightful hospitality I received in Holland from Cees & others. I came away with two good photos of Rolls-Royce Vulture engines from a crash site. They were a bit bashed up at the front, not surprisingly, but otherwise plenty to see. I sent them to Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust maybe 25 years ago to see if they were interested but they weren't!

The Manchester & the Rolls-Royce Vulture engine continue to cast a very long shadow! That's why we're interested! Better than the He 177 though don't you think?

Rob

• Like 3

Yes, much better and more interesting. The Manchester, flawed aeroplane though she was, led to a long and illustrious line of aircraft, whilst the He-177 led to nothing but experimental aircraft, interesting though they may have been.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1