Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

Fabulous? I would say that it's spectabulous! It's amazing, Neil, what can be done when one actually works on a model, instead of just contemplating it from afar (as I normally do).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Big fan of your work Neil, not only does it look realistic but you nail it every time... very consistent! :)

Couldn't agree more.

And I also agree with the specific comments on how good the weathering is. Definitely a Woody signature.

• Like 1

Question. Generally l thought the inside flap colours was the same as the underside.

Hi Dave,

That is a good question. I can't find any conclusive evidence about the early airframes. I went for green to add some variation to the black, but certainly open to debate on this one.

Verytasty indeed Neil, I do like the exhaust staining very realistic.

Reply PM inbound to your. Many thanks.

Colin

Hi Colin, PM replied, glad you're OK, good to hear from you :)

Hi Dave,

That is a good question. I can't find any conclusive evidence about the early airframes. I went for green to add some variation to the black, but certainly open to debate on this one.

Hi Colin, PM replied, glad you're OK, good to hear from you :)

It seems in general they sat with flaps up so the interior colour is anyone's guess until someone here comes up with evidence . Having done that l have nothing against what you used, it was just more to satisfy my curiosity. Over all a job well done and l like it

• Like 1

Apart from the fact the colour scheme, weathering looks great, I would like to ask a question . . .

How do you accurately cut the windows out from the decal(s) ????

many thanks

I give the decals a good dose of Kleer, as much as anything to reduce silvering, but I also finds that it makes them more resilient to flaking away. I then run a sharp knife around the window before removing the masking and they generally come away nicely. There's usually a bit of touching up, which I usually do with the relevant colour.

It seems in general they sat with flaps up so the interior colour is anyone's guess until someone here comes up with evidence . Having done that l have nothing against what you used, it was just more to satisfy my curiosity. Over all a job well done and l like it

I've come across several photo's with their flaps down, although not as low as I've done with the kit, but they're all in B&W and none are clear enough to make a correct judgement. This would be useful if anyone can shed any light.

Well Neil it's taken me a couple goes to read through this thread but it was worth the time. You're well on the way to producing another Woody's Workbench Wonder.

• Like 1

Cheers Col, the Christmas holiday has speeded things up, although the new painting technique is something I want to use more often, its yet another thing I've learned to slow the build rate down!

Got some of the fiddly bits on today. Only the turrets to do. The rear turret that comes with the conversion is quite narrow, so I'm going to have a go at crash forming a replacement. I made a former of the right size, so I'll see how that goes tomorrow. I'll get some pics tomorrow of these bits to show you what I mean.

In the mean time, she's now sat on her own boots with the wings glued on...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

Beautiful as always, Neil! You know, with that ungainly engine installation and the triple tail, the Manchester almost looks like something Blackburn would have designed.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2