Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

Cheers Chris.

I've ordered some 1/48 42" roundels which are correct in 1/72 for this scheme. Been thinking about doing this as a diorama. L7381 exploded mid air as a result of the Cookie going up during a nightfighter attack, evident by the pink explosion witnessed by another crew behind, so the idea is to do a base with the cookie on the trolley being loaded. I managed to buy the Airfix ground set from Hannants for £8.50 which was a nice bargain. Thinking of calling it "A fateful Cookie"!

Looks great with the decals, Neil! My long-stalled Manchester (a New Year's resolution in the waiting, perhaps?) has/had the code 'EM*U' - same unit possibly? I got them off the long-gone (I think) Dutch Models sheet.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

This is beginning to look a lot like

Awesome Neil

Those engines might have been even bigger world beaters than Merlin given time and dosh to waste spend on them

The whole of this model has been a big learn process for me, really enjoying it all

ta mate

Edited by perdu

207 Sqn Jason, these were made up from all sorts in the decal box. Still got some of the under wing and fuselage markings to do, but they were in grey, not red as included in the Airfix kit, so I'll paint them on.

New years resolution? If you pulled your finger out, you could have it done by then :P

• Like 1

This is beginning to look a lot like

Awesome Neil

Those engines might have been even bigger world beaters than Merlin given time and dosh to waste spend on them

The whole of this model has been a big learn process for me, really enjoying it all

ta mate

Cheers Bill,

I've been wanting to build the three tail version for a long while. Apparently, without a major redesign of the crank assembly between the two engine blocks, the engine was maxed out on power. When you think about it, the Merlin was knocking out more power later in the war and much less complicated. Would of been interesting if the Centaurus Manchester had been flown, that would of been a different animal.

• Like 1

Hey Neil, that looks very tasty indeed and the camo looks spot on. I've still to try the Blu-tak methd of masking it sems to work very well. It's going to look very good once you have the roundels on.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Neil,

Your thread is an inspiration. My build can be followed at Large Scale Modeller. It's unashamedly butchering of the prototype HKM Lanc.

Cees

url="http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/Wingco57/media/image_zpskspuldsl.jpeg.html"][/url]

Cool, I'll be watching closely, can't wait to see it come together :)

Colin, I got the roundels on earlier thanks to a fast shipment by the big H. Just getting the trestle markings on the underside after parking the Millennium Falcon up...yes, you guessed it, we went to see Star Wars!

• Like 1

Out of a huge cast of tharsaands Neil that has to be contender for 'BEST BLACK' ever on a part completed model in 1:72 scale

I love it, c'est ci bon

The Manc is beginning to look better than bl**dy g**d, approaching fabulous

10/10

• Like 1

Cheers chaps.

Bill, the paintwork on this has been an experiment. On the whole I'm quite pleased with it, but black is most definitely a colour that I need further experimentation with. I'm scared of messing any further incase it gets ruined!

Hope to get the bitty bits on tomorrow. So enjoying having some time off work!

• Like 1