Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

Keep up the good work, Glenn, and I do hope you proceed with the Neptune MR.1! I have the decals and the donor kit, now all I need is a conversion set. Back to you Neil and your absurdly fast-moving build of the Manchester (fast-moving as compared to my build - at this point mine is not so much a build as an avant-garde sculpture of my impression of a semi-completed Manchester).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Looks great Woody, the paints you use, do they spray gloss

Hi Kev,

The Mr Hobby stuff does, but the Tamiya is matt. I always spray a coat of Kleet after each colour as it strengthens it up and stops the paint from pulling away after masking, learned that the hard way!

Looks fantastic, Neil.

I really like the effect you've achieved there - visible but subtle enough to be non-intrusive. A delicate balancing act that you seem to have pulled off rather well!

Will you do the same with the black - I imagine that could be quite a bit more tricky...?

Tom

Hi Tom, cheers. I'm going to attempt it. There's no harm does as I go over the effect with the base colour afterwards to blend it in more

Keep up the good work, Glenn, and I do hope you proceed with the Neptune MR.1! I have the decals and the donor kit, now all I need is a conversion set. Back to you Neil and your absurdly fast-moving build of the Manchester (fast-moving as compared to my build - at this point mine is not so much a build as an avant-garde sculpture of my impression of a semi-completed Manchester).

Regards,

Jason

Jason, the KUTA group build should be full of Avro's, no pressure, but there's around 15,000 members on here all waiting for you :lol:

• Like 2

Manchester question,

Does anyone know if the horizontal tailplane with greater span ( as used on the Lancaster ) was created by enlarging the outer section or putting in sections at the root?

(There is a 1/32 relation here)

Cheers

Cees

I would imagine the whole tailplane would have been re-engineered (at least on paper) to some degree. As well as the increased span loads, the larger endplate fins and rudders of the "lanc"-type would give different (presumably larger) side loadings and moments.

Will

Hear, hear! Quite right! Neil, quite frankly I'm tired of your laggard, lay-about attitude towards this model. Get onw't man! How am I ever to know what a finished Manchester model looks like unless you finish yours (or I could look at your two other finished Manchesters on this site)?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Slacking this week gents, too many other things been going on, however I started applying the blue tac tonight to the fuselage for masking. To get the wavy demarcation line, I'm applying a fairly thick roll and using a rounded scribing tool handle to press the waves in to it. Looks rather successful. Should get the black applied this weekend.

Jason, you spend too much time trawling BM as it is, now get back to your bench and get your big Avro box out!!!!

• Like 2

You mean my Big Box O' Unfinished Lancs? Methinks perhaps I shall do a spot of work on one of my unfinished wonders. Might do me good to get some real modelling in instead of thinking of clever posts.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Slacking this week gents, too many other things been going on, however I started applying the blue tac tonight to the fuselage for masking. To get the wavy demarcation line, I'm applying a fairly thick roll and using a rounded scribing tool handle to press the waves in to it. Looks rather successful. Should get the black applied this weekend.

Jason, you spend too much time trawling BM as it is, now get back to your bench and get your big Avro box out!!!!

There was a build article in one of the modelling magazines (SAMI?) written by the guy who built the Manchester from the Paragon conversion kit I mentioned in an earlier post. The article provided a printed template for the wavy demarcation line.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 1

That's interesting; thank you for posting Sten! That might be worth tracking down. I've actually already done that bit of painting on my semi-legendary semi-built Manchester, but at the rate I'm cranking these babies out, I'll probably be building a Mk.IA Manchester in, oh, about 12 years. Seriously, though, that template would prove handy in case I do tackle another Manchester.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Here is one I finished earlier . . .

23196907464_9678dcbceb_z.jpg

I counted how many 'waves' there were, 15 I think, measured the distance and marked off the semi-circles then hand painted.

The wings, were reduced from the Lancaster wings and the engines sratched.

• Like 7

Looking at the wavey demarcation lines on real aircraft, there doesn't appear to be a consistent finish. Many were repainted in service. As a ball park looking at references, each wave correlates with a window position in terms of spacing, so I'll be using that as a guide. As I can't find any photo's of L7381, I'll be making assumptions based on readily available images of L7380.

Lovely build mate, although it doesn't look finished there. Do you have any more photo's?

An unfinished Manchester?!! Shocking! Not to be allowed! Okay, Neil, you knew I'd have to say something about that. Mancunian airman, it's something of a running joke between Neil and me regarding my Manchester that I've been working on for more than a decade now (and some other Lancaster family aircraft that I've been working on for somewhat less time, but just as unfinished). Nice work on yours! If I had tried to scratchbuild the modifications on mine, I could have added another decade for me to finish the b****y thing.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I think that is the model he posted earlier in this thread come to think of it, and a rather stunning finish it was.

Manchester all masked up now for the black to go down, I'll get some piccies done later of the fuselage masking.

I think that is the model he posted earlier in this thread come to think of it, and a rather stunning finish it was.

Manchester all masked up now for the black to go down, I'll get some piccies done later of the fuselage masking.

Thats right See page 2.

Q-Queenie from 83 Sqdn. RAF SCampton.

Inspired by John Bushby and his book 'Gunners Moon' 1972

• Like 1

I kinda like both. I like the early look on the triple tail, something about it gives it that early war look, but the aesthetics of the twin tail are hard to be beaten.

Got the black on last night. A few touch ups needed here and there, but happy with it.

This is the nearest aircraft to L7381 that I can find pictures for, so I'm using it as the reference. I bought some roundels, but they are too small, these are larger than 54" looking at them, so need to see what I can do.

L7380_ameland_zpskx8nbsuy.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15