Blackbird Avro Manchester Mk.I (Airfix Lanc conversion)

woody37

Nice work, and I am appreciative of the photos.

Blackbird has some very nice conversion kits. I think of them as the Ferrari's of the model world: crafted with utmost care and available to an elite bracket of modellers (who do them justice).

Maybe the following question is better in another thread, but do any conversions of radial Manc's exist? Not sure if they even existed in real life either... There are so many experts handy I have to ask!

Good luck with the rest, I imagine we'll see a product like your Lincoln when you're through!

Manchesters never had radial engines fitted but there was an idea to have them with Napier type radial engines I believe,

I once built a 'what-if' of the Manchester having two Merlins fitted and just think, if it had, would the Lancaster have evolved because the Manchester with two Merlins would have undoubtably been a success

22586351078_86fb5486e7_z.jpg

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 6

Nice work, and I am appreciative of the photos.

Blackbird has some very nice conversion kits. I think of them as the Ferrari's of the model world: crafted with utmost care and available to an elite bracket of modellers (who do them justice).

Maybe the following question is better in another thread, but do any conversions of radial Manc's exist? Not sure if they even existed in real life either... There are so many experts handy I have to ask!

Good luck with the rest, I imagine we'll see a product like your Lincoln when you're through!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really feel good about the feedback.

All I want to do is offer top class bits at a fair price. We have some great stuff in the pipeline and want to go from strength to strength. But we'll do it the right way.

If I can improve a product we'll do so.

I'm also open to listen to ideas for new items but we have a good few in the list to at the moment, including five full kits.

But we shall always try to give the modeller the best we can

• Like 7

Done a bit more work this afternoon.

One thing I've come across is that the new nacelles won't accommodate the Airfix landing gear, so there are two options I can see.

1. Have the gear retracted - in flight

2. Modify the Lancaster gear to fit the shrouds.

I've gone for the latter, however time will tell if the gear is strong enough at there are two knuckle joints that have a very low surface area for re-gluing. I've also had to scrape as much as I dare out of the front of the gear bay sides as they are slightly too narrow for the gear legs causing them to pinch. Fortunately, this just allows the gear to fit in. Here is one of the legs modified compared to the unmodified side.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The other thing to consider is that the main wheels on the Manchester are smaller than the Lancaster, but there are none in the conversion. My two thoughts here are to either get a resin copy of the Planet ones done or try the Revell Halifax ones for fit as these are too small for the Halifax.

Cheers

• Like 6

Great stuff Neil, seems a bit odd that they don't fit as is, you've had to take quite a bit off the Lanc gear, or is it more to do with the flare of the Airfix parts ? ...hope she can take it captain !. The smaller diameter wheels should fit perfectly now if you can get hold of any, (the Halifax ones might well be the answer). Look forward to progress.

• Like 1

Mancunian airman

A Manchester with two Merlins wouldn't have been a great aircraft simply on power alone. 2 Merlins produced 2x 1030hp or 2060hp total, less power than two Vultures at 1450hp each or 2900hp total. And that was after they were derated from 1750hp for a total 3500hp. The idea of the Vulture was sound, unfortunately WW2 meant time to work out the problems didn't exist so the four Merlin Manchester was born. And a good job too cos she's the best looking aeroplane ever. Not that I don't like the Manchester as well,

Regards

Paul

• Like 9

On 11/14/2015 at 10:55 PM, Thom216 said:

Cool, a Manchester! I would love to have a conversion kit for 1/48!

Waiting baitedly! (or with bated breath...)

We have talked about making some masters as I'd love to do one in this scale too, but the Paragon ones are like rocking horse poo. If someone wants to beat us too it, then I'll happily hand over my cash!

There was talk of doing a twin Centaurus, there is certainly a drawing of the consideration, that might of been a different animal

Got the second leg cut down this morning and both legs can now be fitted at the end of the build. I've used liquid poly which welds the plastic, so the joins are no weaker than the unmodified parts.

Next job is to start on the spar construction to support the resin outer wings. I'll use the profile of a Lancaster drawing to approximate the dihedral, but as per usual, lots of dry fitting and fettling to get the wings equal will be necessary.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

On 11/15/2015 at 10:48 AM, general melchett said:

Looking great Neil, like the mods you've done to get the legs in place safely and securely....was going to say 'nice legs' but have the reputation of the regiment to consider !

Ha ha, important to keep the reputation intact there ol chap!

On 11/15/2015 at 12:36 PM, hacker said:

Don't you have a Manchester profile? If not let me know l got several

Hi Dave, I have a digital copy, but am ordering the Warpaint booklet to get a scale copy to work against, it looks pretty good going off Mike Bootnecks review:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988861-avro-manchester-warpaint-no103/

Thanks for the offer :)

Managed to locate the Revell Halibag and the wheels IMO are fit for purpose. They fit nicely on to the Airfix legs and are only about 1mm oversize compared to the Planet ones, so after some tidying up of the seam will be good. See the comparison below with the Airfix wheel...

Is it me or do other people using Photobucket get the sense that the website is only one click away from imploding when trying to upload images?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Looking good !...the wheels were a good choice after all.

Neil I pay for PB monthly now and have noticed a considerable improvement in reliability and speed using the thing now compared to earlier, (it doesn't cost a lot and it has a very high or unlimited usage limit) I upload TONS of stuff so couldn't be doing with the limit cap all the time.

• Like 1

Last night I got the wings glued together. After some fettling, I shoved a coat of primer on tonight to see what I had. Quite pleased with how they look, so some more fettling and time to restore and add surface detail before the engines go on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far, despite the undercarriage set back, it's going quite smoothly. Famous last words before I make a monumental self induced error!

• Like 11

But Neil, is it truly modelling unless you have at least one monumental self-induced error? I don't feel I've truly built a model unless I have at least one moment of stark terror and fathomless despair where I think I've totally mucked it up (inevitably I haven't, and it's usually a fairly-easy fix, but such is the paranoid nature of modelling/modellers).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 3

But Neil, is it truly modelling unless you have at least one monumental self-induced error? I don't feel I've truly built a model unless I have at least one moment of stark terror and fathomless despair where I think I've totally mucked it up (inevitably I haven't, and it's usually a fairly-easy fix, but such is the paranoid nature of modelling/modellers).

Regards,

Jason

True but is it not also the project is not properly christened if you have not bleed on it at least once?

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying, maybe these SIC's (self induced cockups) are all part of the subconscious plan to make it feel like a significant manly achievement when you finish the build, quickly grounded by the emotionless one eyebrow raised by the missus when I run over and show her like an excited puppy :lol:

• Like 7