Hawker Hunter F2 1/48th scale, Academy + Aeroclub feat Uncle Tom Cobley

I'm possibly being a bit picky with this build, but the Hunter is so aesthetically pleasing, that it seems criminal ( to me) to try and not get the shape right. There's so little to distract on the airframe with early Hunters, that anything that doesn't look right will throw the shape. Its a challenge!! I like those :)

Jonners

• Like 3

Actually Bill - if anything I think the fuselage vertical cross section needs reducing in height, so the spine stays the same, but sits lower in relation to the canopy and canopy fairing. My gut feeling ( and I have NO measurements to confirm this at all I must stress) is that the fuselage is in fact slightly oversize inn terms of cross section.

But that would need someone to come along and retool a new kit.... Ahem Airfix!! Hellooooo :)

Jonners

I see, yes, I was looking at the photo overlay wrong! A lot is scraping of the fuselage with a scalpel maybe? Yes, Mr Airfix! Get yer finger out.......
  • Like 1

What's interesting about this rear canopy fairing is that if you can find pics of glossy Hunters- so you get a bit of reflection off this area - the curves actually seem quite complex and subtle. Any way my new half-round swiss file what I boughted at Telford has had a jolly decent workout :)

As have my Albion Alloys sanding sticks too!

Jonners, still pondering the nose shape on his kit a tad too.

• Like 1

What's interesting about this rear canopy fairing is that if you can find pics of glossy Hunters- so you get a bit of reflection off this area - the curves actually seem quite complex and subtle. Any way my new half-round swiss file what I boughted at Telford has had a jolly decent workout :)

Looking forward to seeing your ponderings Jonners....

I have my shelf of doom/KUTA candidate FGA9 to consider.....

Yes, that area is quite a complex shape and even has a convex section immediately behind the hood seal before it transitions into the gentle convex shape heading down the spine. I'm in work at the moment but the removable section behind the hood from my Hunter cockpit is at home in my study. I'll take some measurements from both ends of it when I get home which should give you a good indication of how much you need to sand off to get the correct shape. Back soon...

• Like 1

Not sure how much help this will be but these are the full size dimensions of the removable spine panel behind the hood. Might be of use to get a feel for how far out the kit is.

Side view...

Plan view...

HTH,

Mark

Stephen - that's very useful - many thanks. Without further ado - pics, prefaced only with the caveat this is rough sanded, and unglued: Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

P1060865_zpsegnaqsyz.jpg

P1060864_zpsdfpnlecm.jpg

P1060863_zpsmlilcswi.jpg

Jonners

• Like 4

Although, my knowledge of the Hunter is close to the square root of nothing.

I think that is much improved.

I am also rather envious that Stephen has bits of Hunter at home! I wander if my good lady would approve if I were to suggest that it would be a nice thing to have!!............may be not!

You know, that really is starting to look like a Hunter. Excellent work that man and duly bookmarked for when I get around to my Hunter build!

Christian, exiled to africa