AFV 1:48 F-5F Tunisian AF

A bit of progress on the Tunisian..

IMG_20151228_132751.jpg

IMG_20151230_144733.jpg

IMG_20151230_144838.jpg

IMG_20151230_144657.jpg

The problems with decals breaking up took me quite some time to find app. supplements and apply them letter by letter.

The windscreen and canopy sealing is also a pain to do, masking the clear parts can become tricky.

Still many more parts to apply - the undercarriage and the armament, some work on the cockpit, more weathering on certain places and so on...

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 4

First and foremost Happy New Year chaps.

Thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate your words. I hope it will look good in the gallery next to your excellent builds...

I've been thinking a lot about those missing RWRs and it bugged me so much I just had to do something about it. I found some nice parts that will serve for the blisters on the nose and the ones on the tail are shaped from a similar plastic part.

IMG_20160105_130651.jpg

The landing gear is attached.. The whole bottom, LGs and the wells still need some weathering...

IMG_20160105_130537.jpg

Ah, the armament. Should I go traditional with Mk.82s and LAUs or should I put on Paveways and CBUs? The latter option is tempting but I'm not sure if Tunisians use that stuff. But I doubt anybody does!? I replaced the cannon barrel on the port side with a nicer brass tube. The starboard one is a dummy so the plastic one from the box will do OK.

IMG_20160105_130313.jpg

Slowly this build is coming to an end. A few more posts... till next time

cheers

• Like 5

Looking great !

Not sure about weaponry, I'd expect that when delivered these aircrafts didn't carry anything too sophisticated.

Good point on the gun barrels, this is something often forgotten: the F-5F only had one gun, the other "barrel" is just a pipe leading air into the avionics compartment

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments.

I found some nice videos earlier of Tunisian F-5s in flight...

https://youtu.be/W1Xtr9on-E4

and the one revealing AIM-9s on the wingtips, seems the same type as AFV offers

https://youtu.be/AxxLBR-zZ1U

a pic from facebook of an armed F-5F - some additional antennas on the belly visible

11403498_437517773094702_913790091577849

cheers

• Like 3

Fantastic work Vasko, I love the colour scheme and you have done a great job on it.

You are right about the AIM-9's they are the same version supplied in the kit, and quite nice they are too.

Can't help with the usual weapons load of Tunisian F-5's but I would think the Mk.82 and LAU option would be common to most F-5E operators.

I like the links to the videos you have posted, they even include some very rare footage of their HH-3 Pelicans, very tempting for a future build!

Keep up the great work.

Craig.

Thanks Craig.

Well,... Fuel tanks are boring right? So here's an idea... I believe that might be possible...

I think I'm going to add some LAUs on the outer pylons and that's about it...

IMG_20160112_131848.jpg

IMG_20160112_131858.jpg

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 4

That is really lovely work.

Slight observation.....You might want to recheck the nose gear rings. It looks like it's back to front.Not too difficult to swop it around I think......

I really love the load out and the finishing....ace work all around

• 2 weeks later...

very impressive looking model Vasko, she looks amazing, flawless paint job and lovely attention to detail, well done.

A model to be very proud of.

I hope the build was an enjoyable one and well done again.