AFV 1:48 F-5F Tunisian AF

Thanks for the input Giorgio. That means there are still some mysteries surrounding the TuAF Tigers. Anyway I haven't got many options here and haven't yet decided if I'll scratch-build those RWRs or simply do it without. Still have some time to decide..

A small update on the cockpit.

The IPs and the side panes are okay OOB, but the tub and its details are weak. The space behind the seats is very simple, I've started adding some wires and such to make it more busy.

Unfortunately I have only one resin seat and the ones from the box aren't that nice. Specially the ejection seat rails..I'll probably buy another resin one...

IMG_20151119_133627.jpg

IMG_20151119_133729.jpg

cheers

• Like 5

Thanks for the input Giorgio. That means there are still some mysteries surrounding the TuAF Tigers. Anyway I haven't got many options here and haven't yet decided if I'll scratch-build those RWRs or simply do it without. Still have some time to decide..

IMHO, one should keep in mind that it's meanwhile 30 years since Tunisian F-5s were delivered, and that plenty of things happened ever since. Between others, the situation with RWRs and shark-noses is similar to application of two-digit codes: everything depends on the date some photo was taken - and the way you want to equip your birdy.

If you're going for 'early' times, LERXes are already in place, but no RWRs and no codes were around, and noses were round.

'Middle' times saw most of aircraft getting RWRs and codes, and some getting shark-noses.

'Latest' stand should be for all aircraft to have RWRs and shark-noses, but not all have codes...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi chaps.

Back with some work done. The last time I did the Tiger with Aires resin aftermarket I left out the air brakes. Huh, now I figured why...the fit is..a disaster. The resin part is too wide and seems like it is made for another kit.

IMG_20151207_152453.jpg

somehow, someway,...

IMG_20151213_132902.jpgć

The kit assembly is very straightforward, with nice overall fitting of the plastic parts.

IMG_20151213_132735.jpg

IMG_20151213_132821.jpg

• Like 4

I like what you've done so far, the fit looks great. I wouldn't get too worried about the air brake housings, you really won't be able to see much when done.

Am looking forward to seeing this one come along.

Thanks a lot for your comments and likes. Much appreciated.

So much has been said about LERXs, RWRs, shark noses... but there's been an ultimate fail from my side. How come I haven't seen it before from the photos that TuAF (just like Kenyan and MexAf) Tigers had a different vertical stabilizer! Check the photos from the previous page to see what I mean...

So the next obvious step was tearing off the tail and trying to add a piece of PS plastic to make it right. Photos will follow soon. I just hope that this procedure won't drastically complicate the situation so I can finish this build on time...

cheers

Edited by vesthepes

wow I didn't even notice!

That should be a fairly simple modification to do, probably the hardest part will be replicating all those rivets. Plus it shouldn't add too much time to you build.

As Craig said I'm looking forward to seeing this camouflage scheme as it is a bit different.

Thanks chaps.

Rich, you were right. This fin modification is quite simple. A few rivets and a panel line in between and that should do. As the new part is quite thin and easier to attach while the stabilizer is already glued on (because of alignment), I had to be very careful while applying putty and sanding it away not to tear it off..

I can't wait to start painting it, but I really do not want to rush into it. The kit is primed, the exhaust is painted, the next step will be some pre-shading. before I do that I must firstly make some details on the HUD and glue on the windshield...

IMG_20151221_124403.jpg

IMG_20151221_124431.jpg

IMG_20151221_124450.jpg

IMG_20151221_141216.jpg

IMG_20151221_141234.jpg

cheers

• Like 4

Thanks for the words and compliments lads, I appreciate it.

Here's how the Tiger looks now:

first some preshading...

IMG_20151222_183231.jpg

The downside pale grey

IMG_20151222_194315.jpg

and the upper camo

IMG_20151223_131955.jpg

IMG_20151223_170104.jpg

Still this is not the final look. As I said I want it to look weathered, so all of the three colors will be toned down, specially the green and grey.

I've had massive problems with the decals as I presume are pretty old. I've somehow managed to attach the roundels, but the serials went into million pieces by the touch of water. So now it's the hard way, scrap all the leftover US numerals and produce serials similar to the ones one the subject.

I'll have to live with the fact that the wing roundels are too small, maybe I'll get a supplement ones from a different TuAF aircraft...

I wish you all a merry Christmas and a Happy 2016. Enjoy your holiday time and thanks for looking in.

cheers

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 4

Great job on the camo Vesthepes, looks really good. Which paints did you use as the colours look spot on to me.

Sorry to hear about your decal problems, seems to be a theme on F-5F's! Unfortunately I don't have any suitable Tunisian markings or I would send some over to you, what size and shape of serials do you need as I might have something that could help you there.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well.

Craig.

Oh c'mon, don't we all have lots of leftover Tunisian roundels from various decal sheets? :winkgrin: Funny, "back in the day" I don't remember having any real trouble with decals, wherever I found them, but it seems to be a very common problem these days. Must be all the toxins in our tap water! (That was a joke, not serious paranoia. But you never know, do you? :devil:

bob

p.s. More to the point, toned down/dirtied up or not, that's a pretty paint job. Personally I'd like it cleaner than not.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it, but I hope I can manage this by myself.

Bob you made me laugh when I read your post, and I feel the same way. Back in the day I used to worry about "silvering", now the decals just disintegrate..

Craig I used many different tones for this camo, I never follow the guides, I usually study the photos (something in between the shadowy ones and the ones taken in the sun) and try to come up with something similar...I used Gunze and Tamiya acrylics mostly.

For the brown I first tried the Tamiya XF-59 desert yellow, but it was just too orangish... So I sprayed another coat over that one with a mix of XF-64 red brown + X-1 white. It is more brownish now and I am more satisfied with it.

The upper grey is just a mix of many different shades of grey (many, but not 50 though). Green is the one I do not like, so it might get some more adjustments. It is made in two layers. First one is Tamiya XF61 dark green, followed by Gunze H65.

The downside is a mix of Gunze H315 (light ghost grey) and H306 (FS 36270)

IMG_20151222_201101.jpg

IMG_20151224_141705.jpg

Here's something that crossed my mind...found it among less used items.

IMG_20151224_135402.jpg

Thanks for you offer Giorgio, here's something I scrapped, F-104 & F-5 leftover serials - quite similar in stencils and some other details these two types..

I also found the appropriate letters (ID) for the front fuselage - I believe the serial will be Y 92508.

IMG_20151224_130836.jpg

Before any decals were put on, the Tiger was dipped in floor polish (EU version of the Future), nice to spray, and perfect for the decals to set in properly.

IMG_20151224_124830.jpg

Next step is making a worn out radom. Here's a little trick..

IMG_20151224_130244.jpg

cheers

• Like 2

Wow she looks great!!

I do like the colour scheme a the wear is nice a subtle, very nicely done.

There is no consistency with decals these days, they're either really thick or super thin and brake as soon as you look at them.