nick32

HI chaps, this has been on my most wanted list for a while now and i finally managed to get one yesterday. Its an absolute monster of a kit, but i'm wondering if there is any 'must have' aftermarket for it?

I'm hoping to make a start on it early in the new year, thinking about creating a diorama with it recovering a tank (not sure what yet though, could even use a Tiger 1 i have waiting to built)

If anyone here has built one i would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it, and pics would be a bonus.

Thanks,

Nick

I think the Tiger was too heavy weighing in at 55 tonnes the Dragon was limited to carrying 40 tonnes but the tractor was capable of pulling 60 tonnes with the winches at the rear of the cab

Pkw 1V was the limit i think to carried but you could put a plane on the back being recovered after being shot down

• Like 1

Thanks, i did wonder actually if the Tiger would be too heavy. Shar, i've seen some period photographs of Dragons with LCM's on, it would certainly make a very interesting diorama? It it Trumpeter that makes the 1/25 LCM? Certainly food for thought....

Failing that it might give me an excuse to build another Sherman, i built Eduard's version (well, Tasca but reboxed by eduard) and really enjoyed it.

I'll check out the Eduard etch, so thanks for that.

Nick

I used the Eduard set on mine, great set and a very worthwhile addition to a great kit. One further thing you may want to get are additional chains to add depth to the scene.

Good luck..

• Like 1

Ian, thanks for that, hadn't seen that one. What a beast!

Wafu, thanks for the heads up, i'll check out the Eduard etch and look into getting some more chain - Any idea where i should start looking? And i think i might need lots of luck going by how indepth this is starting to look... Might take me a while!!

Nick

I have built 7 of these kits , one went to the Patton Museum Fort Knox , KY . I gave 2 to a guy that owns a real real soft cab Dragon Wagon . I traded them for a ride in one and it was well worth it . I donated 2 to the Shelby County VFW Post for the Vets . The others are on my shelf . These kits are very accurate . The only thing you may want to look for is a vice for the cab . These trucks were very rugged and they hauled everything from freight to seized German artillery . I have one of mine set up with a M-32 recovery tank . The Dragon Wagon will look great with about any US Army Equipment from WWII. This kit will about build itself . There are lots of upgrades available for it . You will have to figure out what you want and how much you want to invest in it . You could sink a few hundred USD in one real quick . Most of the upgrades are not to noticeable and not worth it (my opinion) . If you are a "rivet counter" then by all means dress it up . My motto is if people are telling you problems with the kit ...They are way to close . The guy that gave me a ride in his said mine were about as close as you can get to an accurate kit , I took that as a compliment .

There is another option converting it over to the "soft cab" version with the old TraKs resin kit . They turn out really nice . Just take your time with it I have a few pictures I would like to add to this post ........ just can't get them to paste . The url will not work either . If anyone can give me some advice please send it my way. I am not to computer savvy .

• Like 2

Hi Nick, I have the Tamiya Dragon. I was thinking about putting the new Tamiya Nashorn on it. The Nashorn has lots of detail that can be seen after construction.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, some great info there and much for me to think about.

Waistgunner, 7 builds!? You must know this kit inside out by now. I bet riding in a real Dragon Wagon was worth a couple of builds too, must have been a great experience. I would love to see some of your build photo's, the way i do it is to upload to photobucket, then by clicking 'share' on the pic you want you copy the 'direct' link, then on here click the 'image' icon on the toolbar at the top of your reply. Paste the direct link and the pic should show up. I'm not very tech savvy so thats the best way i can explain it, sorry if you already know it.

As for detail i don't really want to go overboard, i'm far from a rivet counter, but if there are any parts of the kit that can be easily improved i would be interested. I've seen the royal model set which looks really good but quite expensive...

Fatboydim, i just googled the Nashorn, look's a very nice kit with loads of detail, definatley one to think about. It actually reminded me that i have an AFV club 251 somewhere in the stash, so that might be a possible.

Centaur, those civilian ones look fantastic, i guess they had to go somewhere when the war ended. I'm guessing you wouldn't really get very far very fast in one though.... Out of interest does anyone know the mpg of these beasts? I'm guessing its in single figures....

Thanks again chaps, looking forward to cracking on with this kit now!

Nick

• Like 1

That's an amazing build Wafu, thank you for posting the pics. Hope you don't mind but i've saved them to my pc to use as a recourse for when i build mine. I'll definatly be using the Eduard etch. The m12 looks great too, what a machine!

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I've ordered all the Eduard etch for this which will be with me in the next few days. The Royal model set looks ace but i can only find one for sale on Ebay and it will run to over £50 with postage, not including customs fees.. A bit too rich for me.

Still haven't decided what it will be hauling yet, but i'm hoping to make a start on it shortly after Christmas when i have a bit more time..

Nick