Two Tamiya Emils in 1/72 - not German

109 fan

Hmmm, an E1 in early camo which has overpainted national markings? I'm trying to think of any photos I've seen of captured 109s in this color scheme but can't think of any. Did the Poles manage to capture one and repaint it before they got overwhelmed?

Duncan B

p.s. with regards to my earlier post I forgot to mention that I thin the decanted UV Super Cut with Leveller thinners before spraying (although it would probably spray as is).

We have a WINNER!!!

This was going to be the last clue:

IMG_4674_zpsbrluuj57.jpg
Decals complete:
IMG_4675_zpsqepwu2v2.jpg
IMG_4677_zpstby9bhcj.jpg
A.M., this is Goo Gone:
IMG_4678_zpsemyeshd1.jpg
It is a household product and is excellent for removing the glue residue from Bare Metal Foil. It has no effect on paint if not used too vigorously.
  • Like 3

Thanks very much for the compliments, gents. Duncan, I asked Libor for his input on the colors, since his Zvezda Stuka looked so right. The RLM 71 was darkened with 20% RLM 70. RLM 70 was not altered, except that both colors were then lightened 20% with white. The 70/71 combination looks so dark in most photos that I didn't want to bleach them out by adding too much white. The RLM 70 Gunze Sangyo is acrylic, while the 65 and 71 were lacquers. I am failing to see the allure of these lacquers. They are much thicker in the bottle requiring some serious thinning to get to airbrush mode. Also the semi-gloss characteristics on the RLM 71 are more flat than I would like. I chose them because there would be some serious masking and I didn't want to wait for the slower drying acrylics to set up. My challenges were probably user-induced, perhaps by not thinning enough. But the finish was grainier than the acrylics usually produce. A few extra coats of GX-100 gloss fixed things. Since no was finesse required on this scheme, just considerable masking, there wasn't a problem. Spraying a mottled scheme would be another matter.

• Like 1

There's something about putting French roundels on any aircraft that makes them look better, to me at least, perhaps the colour combination is particularly pleasing.

Either way this one looks great; especially so after knowing all the trouble you had with the paint :goodjob:

Barry, thanks for the info on the paints, I will make a note of the mixes and keep it handy for my Airfix Stuka when it arrives. I have previously tried the 70/71 combination from Gunze and found that the contrast was a little too much but darkening the 71 would fix that. With top tips from Libor and yourself how can I go wrong? (Erm, don't answer that as the list is endless)

I have a large collection of the Mr Color lacquers but don't use them all that much now as the Mr Hobby aqueous range has expanded to cover most of the colours I used. I found the lacquers worked really well when new and were very hard wearing but they became thicker in the pot over time, they also became very difficult to buy over here.

Duncan B

The French bird is finally done. I'll take some glamor shots soon and post them in the completed models section. Thanks for tagging along for this ride. Your comments and compliments are very much appreciated.

IMG_4736_zps0h9yagqd.jpg

IMG_4733_zpsn8todrsv.jpg

IMG_4739_zps1rtefptx.jpg

IMG_4738_zps72lsktdk.jpg

Here are both of the 109s in this thread side by side.

IMG_4745_zpsyxede4ig.jpg
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work. I am a big fan of unusual models, and variations on popular themes like 109s. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is an oil wash please, and how does one get hold of it?

Cheers,

Clive

Clive, my oil wash is simply slightly thinned oil paint sloshed along the panel lines. I show it in some detail in this post:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=695&st=15

It is the best technique I have found to both accentuate panel lines and stain the surrounding areas without the need for preshaing. I would be glad to answer any further questions.

• Like 2