81 TFW F-101 Voodoo

Peter Rozendal

Hi All,

From 1956 up to 1965 the 81st TFW operated the F-101A/C Voodoo. From 1963 to 1965 the wing was commanded by Colonel Robin Olds.

As far as I can determine Colonel Olds bird was 56-0001, balls one.

His wartime P-38's and P-51's carried the name Scat (followed by a number) as did his last Aircraft an F-4C (Scat XXVII).

Did his personal F-101 also carry the name SCAT and if so, what was the number?

Hope someone can help.

Kind Regards,

Peter

This Voo Doo was one of a batch (56-0001 to -005) converted to to an RF-101H and is listed as being preserved and on display by the Kentucky ANG. I was able to find one photo of 56-0001 in its F-101C-40MC configuration, but it had no squadron or personal markings visible. Maybe somebody else can find other photos of this 101.

Mike

I have some drawings and photos of 60001, which were in an old copy of Scale Models magazine, and they show no "Scat " marking. PM me and I'll scan them for you. HTH :cheers:

:poppy:

For what it's worth, this is a list of "Scat" planes I compiled a while ago

P-38J "Scat"

P-38J "Scat II"

P-38J "Scat III"

P-51D "Scat IV"

P-51D "Scat 5"

P-51D "Scat VI"

P-51D "Scat VII"

F-4C "Scat XXVII"

I didn't come across an F-101 bearing the name. Neither did it appear on a Meteor or an F-86 which I believe were the other types Robin Olds flew as commander. You notice the number change is quite different between the P-51 and the F-4 from the previous ones.

This Voo Doo was one of a batch (56-0001 to -005) converted to to an RF-101H and is listed as being preserved and on display by the Kentucky ANG. I was able to find one photo of 56-0001 in its F-101C-40MC configuration, but it had no squadron or personal markings visible. Maybe somebody else can find other photos of this 101.

Mike

I took some photos of 001 at Lexington, KY back in 2000. What caught my eye about it was it still has the gun sight installed. I haven't found any pics of any other RF-101G/Hs with the sight.

Ben

I took some photos of 001 at Lexington, KY back in 2000. What caught my eye about it was it still has the gun sight installed. I haven't found any pics of any other RF-101G/Hs with the sight.

Ben

You could ask them to parcel it up and sent it back to Bentwaters where it belongs. :pray:

• Like 1

You could ask them to parcel it up and sent it back to Bentwaters where it belongs. :pray:

They need to do something with it. I hate to see planes sitting outside, rotting, like this one was. At the time, it was painted in a Hill Gray camouflage scheme, I guess because they had paint left over from the RF-4C next to it.

Ben