1/48 Hasegawa F-4EJ Phantom

Calum

• 2 weeks later...

Sealing gloss coat.

Really happy with the way the decals turned out.

For the stencils I applied a little bit of future (PLedge One Go actually ) and then laid the decal in that. Once I was happy I used a cotton bud to press our the excess. The times I needed to reposition a decal I just applied more future until the decal unstuck then repositioned it and tapped out the excess.

There appears to be no silvering. :D

F-4EJ-040.jpg

F-4EJ-041.jpg

When I started modelling I always struggled with Gloss coats. about 5 years ago I finally figured out what works for me (Tamiya X 22 with Lacquer thiners or Gaianotes) . Since then I've been looking for a good flat coat. FOr quite a while I'd been using Testors Dullcoate and/or Tamiya XF86 Flat. Both are good, particularly the Dullcoate but I still suffered from getting the white posts from time to time. I'd read about people using Winsor and Newton Galeria Matt Varnish. Whilist at an Art Store in Wollongong I picked it up. $22 for the 250mls.

Wow, what product.... 2 thin coats and a dead flat finish .... And no silvering or carrier film in sight.

My only issues are that I'm wondering how it'll react to oils for weathering . And that you have to clean it out with water (I find anything than needs cleaning with water is a PITA the clean)

Enough my rambling, here's some photos of the model with the flat coat on

F-4EJ-042.jpg

F-4EJ-043.jpg

F-4EJ-044.jpg

Hasegawa put many stencils on one large decal. But apart from the ones on the bottom around the centre of the aircraft , I cut them into smaller individual pieces.. I'd guess it took about 12 hrs to do the lot. I did apply 2 large decals to the bottom that had large number of stencils as I'd had enough by then. They worked well so I guess I could have done the same on the top.

F-4EJ-045.jpg

F-4EJ-046.jpg

Now for some weathering and to finish the fiddly bits.

• Like 12

Just readed this topic in one breath.

A Phantom whit a fabulous nice "Kawasaki" green striping......?

What a superb combination.

Very, very nice paint job!

Huge compliment.

Interested in your expirence/opinion about the Winsor Varnish.

I saw it is also able in satin. This might be a solution for my search for a proper satin lacquer.

Kind regards.

Edited by Grover 27

As with Grover 27 I've just found this thread and read it in one go, what a stunning looking Phantom and unusual subject. The combination of the camo on the wings, faded panels and special markings is a sight to behold, who says grey jets are boring?!

Looking forward to you're next post Calum!

Muzz

Hi there,

I have just picked up this thread. Lovely job on the Phantom especially the grey areas and the fading.

For the future, D-Molds do intakes that work, AirDoc do pylons and if you ever try the Aires wheel wells, get ready for some serious thinning and scraping of both them and the wings. they are well worth the effort though.

It is a shame about the green letter but the is nothing you can do about it. As you say, we didn't they look at photos?

Andy

• Like 1

Hi there,

I have just picked up this thread. Lovely job on the Phantom especially the grey areas and the fading.

For the future, D-Molds do intakes that work, AirDoc do pylons and if you ever try the Aires wheel wells, get ready for some serious thinning and scraping of both them and the wings. they are well worth the effort though.

It is a shame about the green letter but the is nothing you can do about it. As you say, we didn't they look at photos?

Andy

Thanks Andy

I'd have gone for the D Mold intakes but they cost more than the kit. I just couldn't justify it for this build. I really wish Academy would get to the E/G RF-4 series.

I've got some DXM decals for the F-2 and F-15's as well

This is awesome! I've always loved the Japanese Phantoms and now I want one in this scheme.

The Wolfpack nose is actually an improvement over the kit part. If you look at the Hasegawa E/G models' nose from above you can see that it's almost a perfect cylinder, while the nose of the real thing has a slight taper. The WP nose correct this error, as far as I can tell from your pictures.