It's a Victor!

DAG058

Aw crap, how am I supposed to make some money on the Matchbox version plus the DB conversion I have?!! :D

Does make you think a new Vulcan could be being discussed at board level though. Maybe, just maybe doing a Vulcan first could have cashed in more with the last flying season of the real thing, unless of course Airfix knows something we don't; a plan to get a Victor flying now! :)

An additional K2 set with HDU's, etc. to follow the kit release as they did with the Valiant, I would think.

I assume that the wing tips will either be detachable or will have cutting grooves on the inside surface. I believe Handley Page had an alternative solution for a K.2 but British Aerospace just 'took a saw' to the wing tip.

Not my bag but I'm pleased for those who now have silly grins.

Trevor

HP had a wind tunnel model with pods/tanks on the tips, which I saw when I was working there. Whether it was intended to use them to hold the FR pods I can't be sure, but I think so. It may not have been their final word on the subject. I suspect the HP solution would have included wing strengthening and have been more expensive than Avro's adopted one. It is purely mischievous to suggest it was no coincidence that it reduced the Victor's performance margin over the Vulcan. I was in the HP main hangar when the first Victor flew in for the conversion. The pilot seemed to run his wheels along the roof, much to the alarm of the teenage new-starter on the copying machine and the enjoyment of the more veteran workers. It was rather a different noise from the everyday Jetstreams.

dambuster: Airfix release these pictures to draw comment. Are only positive comments possible in your panglossian worldview?

Edited by Graham Boak

.dambuster: Airfix release these pictures to draw comment. Are only positive comments possible in your panglossian worldview?

No. But does it actually add anything of value when someone makes a comment that things 'look a little too deep' or 'appears to be too shallow'?

Without simultaneous access to the model and the real item this is just opinion, and is as valid as someone comparing the Airfix photo with their own photo and saying that the model 'seems to be a little bit too long/short/narrow/wide/tall/thin etc'.

In response to Wez, xvtonker's pedigree is that he was a 'leckie'; I would have more faith in his opinions if he had been an airframes or engines techie....

Standing by for incoming accusing me of being a disciple of all things Airfix!

Peter

No. But does it actually add anything of value when someone makes a comment that things 'look a little too deep' or 'appears to be too shallow'?

Without simultaneous access to the model and the real item this is just opinion, and is as valid as someone comparing the Airfix photo with their own photo and saying that the model 'seems to be a little bit too long/short/narrow/wide/tall/thin etc'.

In response to Wez, xvtonker's pedigree is that he was a 'leckie'; I would have more faith in his opinions if he had been an airframes or engines techie....

Standing by for incoming accusing me of being a disciple of all things Airfix!

Peter

Burn the witch!

Let's all rejoice in this Golden Age of modelling.

• Like 1

Pure dead brilliant as a west coaster would say

I must say that if one closes ones eyes and travels back to the 1950's and thinks first Valiant and next Vulcan and Victor in your mind .... Then imagine your are the opposition

Would worry me more than a tad

Peter

Sounds like a traditional heavy bias to me, speaking as an ex-fairy I needed to know everything about the aircraft from all trades perspective wheras the heavies could only cope with their own little world! FWIW, I believe the intakes under the engine intakes are for... ...electrical generators. Anyway I'd take the word of somebody who'd worked on the type over somebody who hadn't.

Did you not notice the first line in XVTonkers post was praising Airfix?

Going back to the kit, I'll reserve judgement on the kit until it comes out, whatever its faults is bound to be better than the Matchbox kit!

Edited by Wez

Balliol 2018.

Trevor

I've got to give it to you Trev..... if there's one thing - you are a persistant bugger!!

May your wish come true one of these days, for I cannot think of anyone else who has harped on more about one particular subject.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 2

Nice one Airfix,

I only have one concern and that's with the intakes, they look a little too deep, and the bottom lip appears to be too shallow in thickness.

From my Victor K.2 days the intakes sweep out from the saddle heater towards the front of the wing. The picture below shows this effect.

StarboardIntake.jpg

XVTonker

You think that's bad? The wings on the Martlet don't even point in the right direction!

• Like 7

Nice one Airfix,

I only have one concern and that's with the intakes, they look a little too deep, and the bottom lip appears to be too shallow in thickness.

From my Victor K.2 days the intakes sweep out from the saddle heater towards the front of the wing. The picture below shows this effect.

StarboardIntake.jpg

XVTonker

What are you comparing this too? The two low res images I posted from Facebook?

I will have better photos tomorrow (they wasn't mine I posted), never got the camera out today as I had little time at the show, but will take better photos of the inlets.

• Like 4

I have pre-ordered one from Airfix. Wondering if I should up this to two.

This has been my favourite since it first flew, and having built the Rareplanes vacuum (blooming) K2 and a number of Matchbox and Revel (blooming) K2s converted to BMk2s, I was giving up hope of ever seeing a decent kit.

At my age I can't afford to wish away the years, but I can't wait.

I suppose my stash of Matchbox and Revel kits are now just so much junk.

Those 1/144 Pitt Road Victors are still worth finishing though.

Upped pre-order to two.

Edited by STRAT'71