It's a Victor!

DAG058

• 2 months later...

Whenever I see an all white Victor (or Vulcan) I still marvel at them and the ingenuity and industry that produced those designs.

You know they don't look half bad even by 2016 standards

The only question is will two be enough?

airfix_30_of_59.jpg

Based on the facets visible behind the door, I'd say it's highly likely this is a 3D printed prototype, not a test shot. And a bit of a rushed one at that. Same build as from Telford, maybe?

Its probably the same one from Telford, they will still no doubt be working on the kit design at the moment, so no sprue's or test shots are likely to be ready for public display just yet.

I suspect we will have to wait till the summer and look to the Workbench blog on the Airfix site to get the updates on the progress of this project

• 3 weeks later...

I would not overdo Hornby's difficulties. This happens to most companies at some point. The biggest factor in share valuation is growth so it is unlikely that they will want to damage this by cutting new moulds - particularly when they have already invested so much

That said the Olympics stuff and certain kits like the Merlin and Afghan range do suggest that they do not always hit the mark

Will

Yes - they are a listed company so are obliged to issue profit warnings but most investors are interested in the longer term.

If you want them to survive then show your support by buying their kits!

Make mine a Meteor F8

Edited by Scimitar F1
  • Like 1

Airfix are fine, they may well have to be sold off, but the brand would fetch quite a price, estimates are more than double what hornby paid for them, there the golden goose of the range, so any new investor/creditor won't want to shut airfix down, far more money to be made from them. Airfix will still be here even if hornby goes kaput

• Like 4

Airfix would be well advised to get their headline 2016 new-tool releases (Defiant, Meteor, Victor) right in terms of quality and without further schedule slips methinks, just to keep up the message that they could do well if carved-out of Hornby.

I recall how the 24th Tiffie got a lot of attention in the UK national press as turning the fortunes of Hornby around (at least temporarily..)

Would be a sad day if Hornby goes under, even without Airifx. Its another of those British intitutions not really standing the test of time and changes in childrens playing patterns.

Edited by alpine_modeller

• 1 month later...

Yess!

Victor B.2 project update and more...

Date: 08/04/2016

victor_revised_intakes2.jpg

Welcome to the latest fortnightly edition of Airfix Workbench and our regular review of all things Airfix. For this latest edition, we have an exciting update on one of the most significant new Airfix kit announcements from 2015, which was first revealed at the IPMS Scale ModelWorld show at Telford in November. We are pleased to be in a position to bring you a major update on this project, including a number of exclusive images which show the current state of this magnificent new kit. We will also go on to bring you up-to-date with two further model projects announced during 2015, which are fast approaching release. With so much to fit into this latest edition of Workbench we had better make a start.

Britain’s Radical Nuclear Bomber

victor_top.jpg

The unmistakable outline of Britain’s third V-Bomber, the Handley Page Victor

As Britain entered the volatile post WWII Cold War period and was in need of a potentially devastating nuclear deterrent force of her own, the RAF were charged with ensuring the effectiveness of this force. With two nuclear capable bombers already in service with the Royal Air Force, the Handley Page Victor bomber was viewed as something of a radical design option, and at the time was very different to any British aircraft that had gone before it. Incorporating a sweeping crescent shaped wing design, which had three stepped ‘kinks’ from the wing root to its tip and reducing in angle at each point, the Victor was most certainly a distinctive looking aircraft.

Designed with high speed flight stability as a primary consideration, the Victor had a high T-tail unit and a distinctive pointed front fuselage profile, which gave the bomber a unique appearance, but certainly did not detract from the effectiveness of the design. The Victor was the last of Britain’s three V-Bombers to enter service, but many observers regard it as being the most capable of the trio, even eclipsing the capabilities of the much loved Avro Vulcan. Without doubt, the most impressive version of the Victor was the nuclear ‘Blue Steel’ equipped B.2 bombers, which just looked so ominous that it certainly helped to protect Britain from the horrors of nuclear conflict.

Despite the undoubted success of the Victor B.1 bombers, Handley Page felt that they had not realised the full potential of the design and they began work on producing an upgraded ‘Super Victor’. Clearly demonstrating the flexibility of the original design, the Victor B.2 featured a number of significant improvements over the earlier aircraft, as designers looked to send the aircraft higher and faster. The new Rolls-Royce Conway turbojets replaced the original Sapphires, but required some significant re-design of the wing area. The intake inlets were increased in size to allow for greater airflow into these more powerful engine units, and wing modifications to the root and tip areas resulted in an overall span increase of some 10 feet. A host of internal equipment upgrades made the aircraft more effective and the inclusion of an auxiliary power unit in the right wing stub allowed the aircraft to self-start, without the need for specific ground support units.

ImageC.jpg

This computer rendered 3D CAD image of the Airfix Victor has got modellers just a little excited

As the Victor showed itself to be a strong and flexible airframe, other modifications soon followed and the clean, sleek appearance of the early aircraft soon disappeared beneath a multitude of probes, lumps and bumps. These were all designed to increase the operational effectiveness of the aircraft, as its operating environment evolved and better technology became available. Almost as soon as the B.2 Victors entered service, a significant modification was required to allow the aircraft to carry the ‘Blue Steel’ nuclear stand off missile. This was carried in a semi-recessed position under the fuselage of the Victor, with the missile adopting a distinctive nose down attitude. These white anti-flash Victors were arguably Britain’s most feared and ominous looking nuclear deterrent aircraft during the period when the RAF carried this significant responsibility.

Working on an Airfix classic

The IPMS Telford announcement that Airfix intended to produce a new Handley Page Victor B.2 in 1/72nd scale was understandably met with great excitement amongst the modelling community and images of a mock-up model on the Airfix stand at Telford only served to heighten the anticipation. Looking absolutely resplendent in its anti-flash white V-Bomber scheme, this model was possibly the most photographed exhibit at the 2015 show and allowed anyone lucky enough to see it to get an impression of just how impressive the new Airfix Victor kit would be. As many modellers will have been following this project with interest, we are pleased to be in a position to show you the latest images from the new Victor B.2 tooling in the latest edition of our blog.

ImageD.jpg

Victor mock-up model on the Airfix stand at Telford 2015

Although this impressive new model was only announced towards the end of last year, the Airfix designers have been working on this project for many months now. This is clearly a significant new model for Airfix, and for an aircraft as large and complex as the Handley Page Victor B.2 every ounce of their skill and experience has been brought to bear, as the unique shapes and contours of Britain’s final V-Bomber will have posed some significant challenges. Incorporating the impressive levels of detail and accuracy associated with the very latest Airfix kit releases, the new 1/72nd scale Victor will certainly be a modelling highlight when it is released towards the end of the year.

ImageE.jpg

‘First Shot’ test frame images of the Handley Page Victor B.2 tooling

ImageF.jpg

More test frame components from the all important first tooling shot

ImageG.jpg

Interesting test build images of the cockpit and ‘Blue Steel’ missile sections

ImageH.jpg

Underside detail from the first test build of the Victor B.2

ImageJ.jpg

First test shot image, showing cockpit and undercarriage component detail

The exclusive images we have included in this latest blog illustrate the current status of the Victor project and show that it is advancing nicely. They show the first test frame images from the Victor tooling, which is a critical stage in the life of any new model. Before it can advance any further, the designer responsible for the project will have to inspect every aspect of the components, assessing them for accuracy, detail and eventual construction fit. He will undertake a test build of the components, painstakingly compiling a review of his findings which will need to be incorporated into the tooling design before the project can advance further. It has to be stressed that the images you are seeing here are of the first test shots from the Victor tooling and any number of alterations and modifications may be required, before the tooling is released for production. Indeed, following our attendance at IPMS Telford with the mock up model, we changed the shape of the engine intakes after receiving some expert feedback.

ImageK.jpg

Test build image highlighting the impressive levels of detail incorporated into the Victor project

The images clearly show the impressive levels of detail that have been incorporated into this new model and will certainly keep this project at the forefront of many modellers' minds. As work continues on the new Victor over the coming months we will keep you fully informed on all the latest developments and we hope that you have enjoyed seeing the current status of this exciting project.

A12008 Handley Page Victor B.2 1:72 is currently scheduled for release in October 2016.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Beautiful! I want, gimmee, gimmee, gimmee! However, not to pick, but I did notice that the third rivet from the aft EW antenna blah, blah, blah... (thereby proving my modelling manhood).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

Beautiful! I want, gimmee, gimmee, gimmee! However, not to pick, but I did notice that the third rivet from the aft EW antenna blah, blah, blah... (thereby proving my modelling manhood).

Regards,

Jason

I noticed one of the wheels is molded upside down dammit :)

• Like 2

That does look very nice. Very detailed interior considering how much will be seen from outside, but hey, I'm not complaining! I've one on pre-order from Airfix, may have to get another one as well. Well done Airfix! (again!!)