Pigs In Space - 1/12 scale rocket courtesy of Wallace

For a few years now I have belonged to the Beyond the Box SIG. The idea behind the group is to let the imagination run free and do some serious kit bashing, more often than not using the 1/12 scale Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep kits produced by Airfix.

The theme for this year's Nationals is Space - so I thought I would take the opportunity to post my recently completed Space build here. The rocket is scratch built from plastic card and finished off with brass model engineering rivets. The rocket motors used to be fluorescent lamp holders in my aquarium. Tamiya Fine Surface Primer took care of the white (it's such a great product).

An overview of the completed model - some 50cm high! The gantry was adapted from a toy crane that got broken.

Space%20016x.jpg

A close up of the intrepid astronauts - space suits courtesy of Das modelling clay

Space%20018x.jpg

The plucky inventor - still smiling after a double arm amputation, thumb surgery and a new jumper knitted from Milliput.

Space%20017x.jpg

A close up of the promotional material - knocked up in Powerpoint

Space%20021x.jpg

The model will be displayed on the Beyond the Box stand at the Nationals - the table is close to the Airfix stand in Hall 1.

All the best

Richard C

PS I do produce serious models too from time to time :)

• Like 11