1/72nd Italeri Short Stirling Mk.1 R9358 BU-A, 214 squadron....

A quick note to thank all of the Bomber Command SIG especially the General, for making the Stirling Project so welcome. We certainly seemed to attract a lot of interest and to boot made a tidy sum from donations and mug sales :)

A special thanks should also go to Paul and Richard for the great way in which they organised things, thanks lads

John

John, sorry we missed you before everyone went their separate ways, really great to have the seat and centre console there and catch up with yourselves. Although I've been blown away with some stunning models, as always, it's meeting the people from here that was the best bit, had so many great conversations with so many interesting people, you all know who you are :)

• Like 1

John, sorry we missed you before everyone went their separate ways, really great to have the seat and centre console there and catch up with yourselves. Although I've been blown away with some stunning models, as always, it's meeting the people from here that was the best bit, had so many great conversations with so many interesting people, you all know who you are :)

Thanks Neil

Unfortunately we couldn't hang around, thanks for the weathering tips btw. :). If we get invited again, it'd be nice to bring the whole flightdeck. :pilot:

Edited by 12jaguar
  • Like 2

Thanks folks, really appreciated,

Bill, I've got Darling on the case, a 25 ton tanker of SM and a lorry load of paper clips is being delivered as we speak ! tell Lady-Bird the sherry trifles will be restocked as soon as I can prize the mems lips from the bottle !

Rich thanks for that, we did our best, I think Rob should get a special award for 'almost' finishing his in a little over over two weeks, (just wish he hadn't bought it to the pub to work on later, we were getting funny looks from the bar staff and the smell of CA and Alclad rather interfered with the aroma of my filet mignon and Bearnaise sauce and wreaked havoc with the Chateau Lafite Rothschild)....

John, I've got to echo what Neil said, sorry we missed you and the lads at the end there...I tried valiantly to get back to the table on several occasions only to get shot down half way to the target and pancake in the custard......(will pm you later).

If we get invited again, it'd be nice to bring the whole flightdeck. :pilot:

Well I don't even need to answer that one !!......good lord man ! glad you had a good time, I know the project went down extremely well and really bought the Stirling theme alive.

Although I've been blown away with some stunning models, as always, it's meeting the people from here that was the best bit, had so many great conversations with so many interesting people, you all know who you are :)

Neil..totally agree, that says it all.

Great to meet everyone, too many of you to mention personally, (really sorry I missed several of you), it always gets a bit hectic and to be honest I don't think I saw a lot of the superb models on show !

The modelling is one thing but really it's the people that make the show and this was one of the best yet...

Cheers all... :cheers:

• Like 2

Having seen the Stirling in the `plastic' at Telford I have to confess that I have to change my initial assessment after first seeing it on Britmodeller,.....it was far far better than that and the Stirlings accompanying it were no slouches either!

It was great to meet you too General,.....keep up the good work,......you do set very high bench marks!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks for that Tony, it was about time we had a good chat, long overdue ! Everyone in the sig really made the effort to pull the stops out this year and hopefully it paid off. Funny how the builds you don't enjoy so much often turn out better than expected, I know Neil felt the same about his, just glad to see if off the work bench !

An advantage of having so much space made available in hall 3 this time, (in no part due to enough heavy bribing and coercion going on to put a banana republic to shame and the close proximity of the refreshment area !), was that people could easily get together to chat without being jostled, shouted over and physically abused.....

(Did you end up getting anything from kit swop ?)...

• Like 1

There didn't seem to be anyone around when i came to look at the stand but I did see the Stirling and it looked very impressive.

I see what you mean now regarding the wet and dry comment!

• Like 1

I really enjoyed seeing the Stirling at SMW Andy; I went back a couple of times to admire it and it's siblings. The Bomber Command SIG table always contains impressive and inspirational builds.

The quality of the finish was stunning - I really liked the way that the monochrome of the black was subtly broken up (well tbh I was really struck by the quality of the camo finish generally).

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, your kind comments are always very welcome and inspire me to better things,

FZ, sorry we didn't meet up. We normally try and keep someone on the table at all times but unfortunately we are such a diverse bunch of reprobates that there are some periods when everyone will be out on ops at the same time. It's not fair that one person has to stay on guard duty the whole time so we try to even it out fairly....this is a draw back with having a sig table at the show, (that and the fact that a few of them are also show organizers which is incredibly time demanding)....

Steve, thanks for that, I wish we'd had more time to chat this time but I know you weren't there for that long and I was torn between the BC table and the Airfix stand so never really knew whether I was coming or going, (nothing new there then !). Every time I got back to one or the other I was repeatedly told 'someone would like a word with you '...maybe I ought to have my batman march in front of me with a huge Union Jack, a big bass drum and a strobe so my whereabouts can be located at all times........on second thoughts maybe not !

Great to see you again anyway.....if you can make Huddersfield...

just wish he hadn't bought it to the pub to work on later, we were getting funny looks from the bar staff and the smell of CA and Alclad rather interfered with the aroma of my filet mignon and Bearnaise sauce and wreaked havoc with the Chateau Lafite Rothschild

Now that's dedication!

Just thought i would add that after seeing your Stirling in the flesh yesterday it's even better than i thought it was. Also, the B29 was astounding too, although i'm not sure who built that one. But to be honest all the builds were great, and put mine to shame. Coming home and looking at mine i realise that i'm not quite there with the finish yet. The builds i see at shows have a lovely smooth matt finish to them, mine whereas mine are covered too thickly. That's what i'm going to work on a bit from now on.

Incidently, how does one go about displaying a build at a show? Never done it, but would like to if i can get them up to scratch.

Nick

• Like 1

No problems General,

I understand how busy these shows are and you can't expect someone to be stuck there all day.

I'll come over and see you at Huddersfield and make myself known.

I can see myself making bomber command related models in the new year as I picked up both the Lincoln and Manchester conversions from Blackbird models and I'll get my Whitley and Shackleton this week.

• Like 1

Now that's dedication!

Just thought i would add that after seeing your Stirling in the flesh yesterday it's even better than i thought it was. Also, the B29 was astounding too, although i'm not sure who built that one. But to be honest all the builds were great, and put mine to shame. Coming home and looking at mine i realise that i'm not quite there with the finish yet. The builds i see at shows have a lovely smooth matt finish to them, mine whereas mine are covered too thickly. That's what i'm going to work on a bit from now on.

Incidently, how does one go about displaying a build at a show? Never done it, but would like to if i can get them up to scratch.

Nick

Hi Nick,

To display at a show really depends on what you do. In my understanding, there are typically two types of display. Firstly local IMPS modelling groups and then Special Interest Groups known as SIGs. I ended up on the Bomber Command Sig (BC SIG) after talking with Paul (Honeybee) on here and things just happened from there and I suspect it's the same for the others.

No problems General,

I understand how busy these shows are and you can't expect someone to be stuck there all day.

I'll come over and see you at Huddersfield and make myself known.

I can see myself making bomber command related models in the new year as I picked up both the Lincoln and Manchester conversions from Blackbird models and I'll get my Whitley and Shackleton this week.

Sorry we missed you Mark, as Andy says, we must of been on Op's. Sunday in particular, we were heavily engaged in conversation around the show, I could of done with another day to carry on some of the great conversations!

Cheers

• Like 2

Nick, Neil forgot to mention that the Washington was his and yes it's a beauty.

It's not about anyone's models putting anyone else's to shame...it's more about being inspired to improve our techniques which we all want to do. If you need to know something just ask, we're all here to help. Regarding thick paint coverage a lot of us make the mistake early on of trying to get too much paint on the model in one go instead of building it up gradually with several thinned coats misted onto the surface and this takes a bit of time. The final finish before weathering is then covered with a Matt or semi Matt varnish, (I sometimes use leveller too which evens things out further), applied in the same way, you can use rattle cans but make sure the cans are warm and the atmosphere roughly the same temp and dry, (direct sunlight is best)...anyway if you're at another show pop over for a chat about it.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, certainly given me food for thought. Really would like to display a build at some point in the future, and i found it very inspiring looking at the great builds on display. My mojo is all fired up and i'm really trying to up my game.

I'll be sure to collar you for a chat at the next show, the only guys i can chat modelling with are you lot, my family and friends just don't get it... :lol:

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, certainly given me food for thought. Really would like to display a build at some point in the future, and i found it very inspiring looking at the great builds on display. My mojo is all fired up and i'm really trying to up my game.

I'll be sure to collar you for a chat at the next show, the only guys i can chat modelling with are you lot, my family and friends just don't get it... :lol:

Nick

Do I know that feeling!!! My wife just doesn't get it but at least my young children do!!! :D :D :D

• Like 1

Thanks Martin, it would be really great to see an injected 1/48th kit some day....I think folks forget just what a huge aircraft the Stirling was. In 1/32nd it would be monstrous......perhaps we can persuade HK Models to conjure one up to accompany the Lanc.

Ian, thanks my Antipodean friend .......I looked for you at the weekend but no luck.....I guess you were stuck in NZ....what a hardship ! (Still gloating over the rugger no doubt !). Got together with the usual mob, naturally total chaos ensued.......some things will never change.