Kinetic F-5B HAF - Finished

Skids

Thanks guys, I nearly always prefer 2 seaters as I think they just look better Craig.

I have too agree, it is so nice to see so many variations, its such a widely used plane with so many paint options. If I wasn't so slow I would get an AFV one and do an aggressor. But I AM that slow so no chance

Stalled a bit (due to some family obligations), but managed to get some done last night. Just sanding down filler and the leading edges so not taken any pics yet.

I am waiting for the masks to arrive so I can finish the cockpit. So will be an update soon with a bit of paint (well if the paints arrive).

Stalled a bit (due to some family obligations), but managed to get some done last night. Just sanding down filler and the leading edges so not taken any pics yet.

I am waiting for the masks to arrive so I can finish the cockpit. So will be an update soon with a bit of paint (well if the paints arrive).

Thanks for reminding me about the leading edges. I started looking at mine the other night with the fitting of an outer pylon, but have forgotten about the blunt front parts.

• Like 1

Tell me about it, was looking at the instructions last night and realised I had missed a few bits off, also I had painted the engine fans then got so preoccupied with the jigsaw of putting it together that I actually forgot to put them in :doh:

Oh well masks have arrived and looking on the tracking for my paints says that they are in the country so hopefully not long now :thumbsup:

Not much progress as I am masking bits so I can undercoat it, but thought I would see about that rather underweight RHS wing tank.

I know that trickyrich just rescribed the LHS wing tank but I thought I would try and make it a bit thicker. Good old plasticard to the rescue, and I was happy with the result.

(just waiting for a nice BM member to send me a bit of blue/red sprue so I can copy trickyrich's wingtip tank lights as they look so good)

F-5%2014_zpspwakqudh.jpg

Edited by Skids
  • Like 2

Not much progress as I am masking bits so I can undercoat it, but thought I would see about that rather underweight RHS wing tank.

I know that trickyrich just rescribed the LHS wing tank but I thought I would try and make it a bit thicker. Good old plasticard to the rescue, and I was happy with the result.

(just waiting for a nice BM member to send me a bit of blue/red sprue so I can copy trickyrich's wingtip tank lights as they look so good)

F-5%2014_zpspwakqudh.jpg

I like that idea of using plastic card to thicken the tank, had thought about it way after I had originally glue it together!!! It looks good plus you don't have to butcher the wing tip or tank mounting point.

If you haven't had a reply by next Saturday re red/blue sprue then let me know. I'll be in Germany the following week and will try to post a couple of bits to you from there (much quicker than from oz)........if I can work out their postal system????

• Like 1

I wondered if that might fix it- your photo looks great, but what about the other angle? Do the new parts look "skinny" in outline, too? I guess the "hatches" won't match now, but I'm not sure I'd worry much about that- certainly not enough to fill and attempt to rescribe!

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

I wondered if that might fix it- your photo looks great, but what about the other angle? Do the new parts look "skinny" in outline, too? I guess the "hatches" won't match now, but I'm not sure I'd worry much about that- certainly not enough to fill and attempt to rescribe!

bob

The other angle is slightly out but not sure i want to cut the tank in half and try to rescibe all of it hmmmm

Like the work on the tank. What size plasti-card did you use?

It was 0.5mm and seems to be almost right, maybe 0.5 or even 0.75 maybe better.

If you haven't had a reply by next Saturday re red/blue sprue then let me know. I'll be in Germany the following week and will try to post a couple of bits to you from there (much quicker than from oz)........if I can work out their postal system????

Hi Rich (nice tiger by the way), hopefully another BM member is sending me some BDU-33 bombs from the Daco Starfighter set and has said he will put some sprue in. If not heard I will let you know. When do you need to know by?

Simon

Saturday, I fly out of here Sunday nite Oz time.

The Daco set is where I got mine from.

Hi Rich, thanks for the offer but Tiger331 has come up trumps for me. I now have bombs and sprue. Going to attempt to make the SUU-20 a bit more interesting, with the Hasegawa Unit, Daco Bombs and a bit of metal tube. Hmmm sounded like a good plan when I started this.

• Like 1

Twas the week before Christmas

And all through the house

Not a model was stirring

Not even an F-5

Seems SWMBO has taken over my studio to hide all presents etc so I cant get near my desk or even in my little corner at the moment, so it looks like I wont be doing much till next weekend. :weep:

• 3 weeks later...

Well now that its all back to normal I better get on with this.

I have managed to get it undercoated so I can now get on with painting.

F-5_zpsipbisoig.jpg

Having to make some adjustments to the forward UC as the torque links are the wrong way round. Jabba had the same problem and used the other UC that was supplied. Before I had read his post I had decided to cut mine up and piece it together. Forgot to take a pic. Also I am looking at the SUU-20 too.

No time too waste now

Simon

• Like 5

Having to make some adjustments to the forward UC as the torque links are the wrong way round. Jabba had the same problem and used the other UC that was supplied. Before I had read his post I had decided to cut mine up and piece it together. Forgot to take a pic. Also I am looking at the SUU-20 too.

No time too waste now

Simon

Looking very good indeed. As you have said the nose U/C problem could have been sorted out with Kinetic having a proper look at their instructions and the actual kit parts needed.

I too am looking for a SUU-20 but the only aftermarket one that I can find apart from being in a Hasegawa weapons set is the Oz Mods one and yet again I can only find that available at source where they want a $20 minimum purchase.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

Nice work Skids.

I look forward to seeing the Aegean scheme take shape.

Craig.

Thanks. Me too, I love the Aegean Ghost scheme, might have to get a Phantom so I can do that too!

Looking very good indeed. As you have said the nose U/C problem could have been sorted out with Kinetic having a proper look at their instructions and the actual kit parts needed.

I too am looking for a SUU-20 but the only aftermarket one that I can find apart from being in a Hasegawa weapons set is the Oz Mods one and yet again I can only find that available at source where they want a $20 minimum purchase.

Jabba I meant I was looking at my SUU-20 as to make it look good, I think I have two of the Hasegawa ones if you want one? Let me know.

Simon

• Like 1

I have used a couple before, they seem to be good. I have all the Akan colours for my MiG-21, MiG-29, Su-22 and Su-25 too.

Just completed a test of pre shading so will start the camo this weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks. Me too, I love the Aegean Ghost scheme, might have to get a Phantom so I can do that too!

Jabba I meant I was looking at my SUU-20 as to make it look good, I think I have two of the Hasegawa ones if you want one? Let me know.

Simon

If you do have spare one if I may, I will take up your kind offer. I have been wondering if the Dutch F-5Bs were able to use the dart targeting thingy that also comes with the Hasegawa weapons set, so that could be another option?

• Like 1

lovely job so far mate, look forward to the colours going on! I tried a similar pre shading job like that once and it looked great until I kept adding paint and completely nullified it.....i guess you really have to control the layers well.

• Like 1