Kinetic F-5B HAF - Finished

Skids

Hello

After 5 months away from the hobby its time to return and what better way than to get stuck into this GB.

I will be using the Kinetic F-5B and maybe the Kinetic F-5B etch set.

F-5B%20Box_zps3xt485hb.jpg

I will be using the kit decals to produce an Hellenic Air Force version, just need to decide which one, Aegean blue/blue/grey or green/green/tan hmmmm

Northrop_F-5B_zpsxacbqcfs.jpg

I am sure by the time I get to that stage I will have made my choice

SImon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 6

Welcome aboard and back to modelling, and a nice choice you have there!

It is a very nice model indeed, I've been looking over mine and the moulding and detailing is fantastic. Hopefully your model has the fixed wing tip tank in it...seems they two for the same wing tip in the early releases.

I do like the Blue/grey colour scheme. it's a bit different.

Well good luck with the build, hopefully it will be a pleasant and trouble free return to modelling for you.

• Like 1

Well I kinda got a bit caught up in the moment and before I had taken the sprue shot pics I had taken all the relevant main bits off the sprues for a lets have a look at this all taped up.

F-5%202_zpsngd6bobq.jpg

The thing that surprised me the most is actually how big the F-5 is. (or should that be how small the Mig-21 is!!)

F-5%203_zpssljupckr.jpg

More soon when the etch arrives

Edited by Skids
  • Like 3

It's hard not to sometimes!

I to was surprised at the size of the MiG-21, I had always thought of it as a bigger aircraft and it was until I built mine that I got a true idea of the size.

• Like 1

Looks like this will be great, the Aegean blue for me is quite unique to do. True about the sizes, the F-5 is a deceptively long aircraft imho but after building a few Mig-21s and comparing, they really are tiny aircraft also. Anyways look forward to more.

David.

• Like 1

The thing that surprised me the most is actually how big the F-5 is. (or should that be how small the Mig-21 is!!)

Even Hunter is bigger than MiG-21... but then: everything's bigger than MiG-21... only F-5 is of approx the same size. ;)

Looking forward for your 'PA' F-5B.

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 1

I suppose as I have never really paid attention to aircraft sizes unless I am building a kit I just hadn't realised how small the Mig-21 was, then again it may be small but it looks so mean. I will get on with that build soon.

SUU-20 pod hopefully on its way from a friend in the US.

Etch has arrived so time to get a move on now. will get some pics up soon

Looks like the Aegan blue scheme is a favourite, just gotta get some paints now.

• Like 1

Thanks Shalako.

Well having a bit of a mare with this

1 - Wanted the Akan Aegean Ghost paints and struggling to find them! So we may have to go SEAC :fraidnot:

2 - It seams that the kinetic Etch fits as well as the kit does :doh: Have to now guage a furrow out of the inside fuselage to make it fit. Will try to get some pics up asap

Im sure it can be :fight: into shape (just think about that lovely Eduard Mig-21)

Edited by Skids

a quick question for you, what are the leading edges (and trailing ones for that matter) like on your kit? The one's on my Wolfpack (kinetic re-box) one are horrible, no edge just a thick flat edge, the wings arn't that much better either!

a quick question for you, what are the leading edges (and trailing ones for that matter) like on your kit? The one's on my Wolfpack (kinetic re-box) one are horrible, no edge just a thick flat edge, the wings arn't that much better either!

Hi Rich, you are not wrong, they do seem a bit chunky. Overall it is turing out to be a bit of a turkey but I am going to make it work. Are all Kinetic kits like this?

Hi Rich, you are not wrong, they do seem a bit chunky. Overall it is turing out to be a bit of a turkey but I am going to make it work. Are all Kinetic kits like this?

Some are better, some are worse. Roughly speaking, the more recent the kits the better they are. The F-5 is not the latest at all and is not as good as some of the more recent kits. At the same time it's the best F-5A/B around in this scale

• Like 1

Some are better, some are worse. Roughly speaking, the more recent the kits the better they are. The F-5 is not the latest at all and is not as good as some of the more recent kits. At the same time it's the best F-5A/B around in this scale

Well its the only Kinetic in my stash at present although was thinking of getting the Mirage 2000.

Anyway small update and some actual progress. As said before the Kinetic etch does not fit well, now this could be Kinetics fault or I could be a complete and utter muppet. So to make it fit I have been making some minor adaptions.

Firstly I have made two trenches on the inner of the fuselage to as far as I dare without going through or making it too weak.

F-5-5_zps6b2ctl6n.jpg

Which didn't work completely but has helped.

Secondly the only way I could get it to work was too cut the cockpit floor out around the console and drop it down by 1mm.

F-5-6_zpsfqtyzwgl.jpg

Which means that I can now close the fuselage without the etch bending. (forgot to take a pic of that but I will do later)

And the cockpit with etch on (not quite finished)

F-5-7_zpsgmgjsgcz.jpg

So a bit of progress and hopefully now I can get moving. Time to seal it up and have a look at those leading edges on the wings.

More soon

Simon

• Like 5

Well I suppose its a good lesson on beating a kit into submission. It felt good to get the nose section together. Need a little bit of filler but not much.

F-5-8_zpsvswubqwi.jpg

Then I thought lets see how well these bits go together

F-5-9_zpswi0uzg7i.jpg

On dry fitting it was not good but not as bad as I was expecting. Anyway off too DIY shop on the way home to buy the biggest hammer I can find. Just in case I have too many problems!!! Will have a look at those rather blunt leading edges later too.

But after not building anything for awhile I am enjoying the challenge

More soon

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 1

to buy the biggest hammer I can find. Just in case I have too many problems!!!

Hi Simon. This gave me a chuckle, and I immediately thought about the 32oz framing hammer I have. It won't be necessary for your model, though, as your effort is quite stellar. The pit looks great.

• Like 1

I was test fitting my B, and it seems that the sharp corner where the intake "shoulder" meets the more rounded spine (or "fuselage top") is the point that's getting in the way. I haven't started carving yet, mind. I'm going to join the front and back of each side right off the bat, to make sure I get a good smooth join there.

bob

p.s. The cockpit does look good- tempting (aside from the surgery), but I don't think I want to give myself the excuse of waiting for bits to arrive in the mail.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps

to buy the biggest hammer I can find. Just in case I have too many problems!!!

Hi Simon. This gave me a chuckle, and I immediately thought about the 32oz framing hammer I have. It won't be necessary for your model, though, as your effort is quite stellar. The pit looks great.

Just remembered I have a good sledgehammer at home if it decides to not behave!!

I was test fitting my B, and it seems that the sharp corner where the intake "shoulder" meets the more rounded spine (or "fuselage top") is the point that's getting in the way. I haven't started carving yet, mind. I'm going to join the front and back of each side right off the bat, to make sure I get a good smooth join there.

bob

p.s. The cockpit does look good- tempting (aside from the surgery), but I don't think I want to give myself the excuse of waiting for bits to arrive in the mail.

I hear what you are saying Bob, also the fuselage piece that joins the wing and forward fuselage is warped on my kit so going to try and "gently bend" it back to fit.

In hindsight I wish I had got the wolfpack seats and used the rest of the cockpit as was.

Simon

Thanks mirageiv, there some great builds going on here.

Well decided to glue all the bits together and was quite happy, will need a little filler but not much?

image_zps2yij69h1.jpeg

image_zpsfeec1coc.jpeg

I have my Greek Aegean colours on order so hopefully they should arrive in time for when I am ready to paint.

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 2

That looks good. :goodjob: Just like Rich sead you did ok with your joins. I had trouble with that as well.

Can't wait to see it painted.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1