1/4" hex shank keyless chuck? convert battery screwdriver to slow mini drill

BrianI

At the moment I use a pin vice for drilling small holes up to 2mm.
I've also got a challenge extreme dremel clone, but the slowest speed it does is 8000rpm

I do have a Bosch IXO electric screwdriver which takes standard 1/4" hex bits. If I could get something which would allow me to fit drill bits / etc, this would be ideal for slow speed drilling / cutting / polishing

Now google suggests you can get keyless chucks which fit drill sizes up to 7mm, which have a standard 1/4" hex fitting e.g:

22789953081_fca7ef3b82_o.jpg

Has anyone tried one? Is it worth while?

I don't really need a full size 18V battery driver / drill.

• Like 1

I've got one like that and it does the job nicely. Only thing to watch out for is the flywheel effect of the chuck as it keeps spinning longer than normal after you turn the power off!

Steve

The only problems I forsee could be run out, due to cheap production and large tolerances on the components, and chucking size, might not close up enough to hold small diameter drills.

I've tried using my multi tool for small drills, but the jaws on the chuck have large chamfers on them, and when fully closed the resulting gap in the jaws is too large to hold micro drills.

Just my two penneths worth.

Matt

Got the chuck in the post today. It is a bit wibbly wobbly. The 1/4" hex shank is a bit loose on the bosch ixo screwdriver head. Also a bit slow and torquey for using as a drill

However I have fitted a 5mm drill bit into it, and successfully managed to enlarge the central hole in one of the wheel hubs for my 1:12 airfix blower bentley build. This has allowed me to insert a 5mm diameter alloy tube, which should make relacing the spokes a little easier. But that's a topic for another thread!

I'm just planning on using this hex chuck for drilling holes in the 2 - 5mm range, anything smaller I'll use pin vice with appropriate mini drill bit. Can't complain for a fiver though!

• 4 weeks later...