Airfix Lancaster - a fools errand

I must be prehistoric then ;) In the day I was taught to scrape paint off mating surfaces, it wasn't down to it being a CAD mold rather that paint reduces the effectiveness of glue used to join the parts.

As you've managed to mask the windows, can you not still use the rattle can to spray the black

Mope, I've masked around the windows as I not good enough with a blade to do it properly so would have to paint around them with a brush and I bet it would show up very noticeably

• Like 1

primed and given a basecoat of humbrol 29, don't normally base coat but not got that much xtracrylix left so hopefully will need to use less now, might start doing it more, gives a use for some of those little pots of humbrol in the starter sets....

A6756F97-D25F-4423-906B-9679C0A7A3FE_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Just for curiosity, has anyone ever tried masking fuselage transparencies (for example) with Tamiya tape or whatever, trimming it to fit, before installing the transparencies themselves? If you used the capillary effect to glue the transparencies from the inside, there would be minimal risk of anything reacting with the masking medium. Then paint the outside and carefully remove the masking when done. The pre-masking would also afford some protection for the transparencies if filling a dodgy fit were required. Bingo!

Hmm. I now have a cunning plan for when I start work on my Shackleton kit, but first I need to check with my Uncle Alan to be sure which squadron he was on when doing National Service. More custom for Hannants!

Gave it a good going over with the 1200 grit as I don't have any micro mesh, before a recoat and certainly helped, needs a lot more to be honest, but back on track, have hand a change of plan re the windows, decided to paint the ones below the demarcation black rather than spend ages carefully painting round them, why bother having them transparent when all you can see is the black interior?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nearly there, major word of advice for anyone going to attempt the dambuster soon, put the upkeep attachment pieces on first during the build process before the primer and Matt black comes out, saves a load of grief, locating holes vanishing and the tolerances going to pot F7A45B65-145B-46FF-9FE3-36F43E793224_zps

• Like 3

Looking good Stu, Rewarding for the effort you're putting into her.

Take a peruse at these threads where I've build Lancasters, to see about canopies, masking etc.

First my Radial Lancaster

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967018-airfix-172-lancaster-bii-finished/

Then my Manchester

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933765-manchester-revell-lanc-with-paragon-conversion/

Finally a Merlin Lanc.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933764-airfix-lancaster/