BBC reporting investigation into whether the Vulcan was rolled

JohnT

Oh so what,.....boo hoo,.......what are they going to do,....ground it?

Don`t you hate it when grassing p*llocks go running off to the authorities telling tales. The film looks a bit jumpy to me, especially at the crucial moment but we all know that the Vulcan can be rolled anyway and I dare say that it was done at such a high altitude that it would be easily recoverable from if something occurred,......I bet the pilot rolled Vulcan`s all the time when he was flying them in the RAF.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 4

The crew could be sanctioned, though that second 'roll' is so jerky it could be some skillful editing.
All fixed wing aircraft are safe to roll, if done correctly it is a constant 1 g manoeuvre. Vulcans, Concorde and 707's have been rolled before.

There is lot of aileron deflection there though!

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Pretty much a pointless exercise, even if they conclude that it shouldn't have been done the aircraft is now grounded permanently and the crew are not likely to go on flying anything else as they are all pretty much at the end of their flying careers.

Rich

Having watched the video it says to me that who ever shot it is way behind the times, every phone shoots a better quality video so how it can be as jumpy as that is beyond me. Also the vulcan performed an identical maneuver at the bournemouth airshow this year at quite low level a number of times with not one person moaning about it and those that know bournemouth and shoreham were on at the same time this year so I can't see the problem with giving this amazing plane and it's equally amazing crews giving it a send off it deserves before its stored in some museum somewhere

Shaun

Pretty much a pointless exercise, even if they conclude that it shouldn't have been done the aircraft is now grounded permanently and the crew are not likely to go on flying anything else as they are all pretty much at the end of their flying careers.

Rich

True. And I'm certainly not anti the manoeuvre 'if' it occurred. however the implications wouldn't necessarily need to apply to the Vulcan or its crew, but it could show the caa that they cannot rely on display pilots adhering to agreed parameters for display, display pilots and displays themselves are under increased scrutiny and rightly or wrongly 'going off plan' may not be helpful right now...

• Like 2

Not sure that video clip makes sense but others better placed than I will no doubt understand what is supposed to be shown on it

Some :shit: trying to make a name for themselves stitching together still photos to look like something that never happened. Someone with a bit more nouse than me will be able to extract the exif data from the photos and show that they are not consecutive shots.

• Like 1

"BDP Aviation"?

Well after that quality of footage they won't be getting of my business.

Rick.

BDP - does that stand for B..... Dismal Photography? A non story.

Allan

• Like 3

All fixed wing aircraft are safe to roll, if done correctly it is a constant 1 g manoeuvre. Vulcans, Concorde and 707's have been rolled before.

I'm sorry but that is not strictly true.

Firstly, a Barrel Roll after initiation of the roll may be a 1G manoeuvre (albeit the chances are it is not), however there is the pitch up at the start of the manoevre that is in excess of 1G - it must be by dint of the fact you are pitching up.

Secondly, as a Jetstream QFI, I spent a lot of time in the Sim attempting to execute a 'Barrel'. It proved impossible because the Jetstream lacked sufficient pitch authority - pitch high enough and the resultant loss of speed meant you lost any reasonable roll rate. Fail to pitch high and, while the roll rate was good, you would inevitibly 'fall through' at the top of the roll and end up so nose down you overstressed upon pull out.

• Like 3