Bombphoon: A Canadian bomber Typhoon in 1/24

Hello,

I'm happy to share my completed Airfix 1/24 Typhoon, as a late war Canadian 'Bombphoon'. Quite a long and involved build, and I hope I've done the kit justice. The WIP is here if you want to see all the amazing detail that got covered up!

I added Eduard belts, and a whip aerial from plastic wire, everything else is Airfix, including the decals (and the very slightly cracked canopy...), which took some work to settle as they were a bit crispy.

Paint is a mix - Humbrol spray can Medium Sea Grey, Xtracrylix top colours and various Revell aquas elsewhere. Lots of disrupting shades, and then pastels.

Thanks to all who dropped by to watch the build and offer advice and encouragement. The kit is well worth getting, it doesn't fall together, but it is a very rewarding build, and I love the surface texture Airfix added throughout.

Welcome all your constructive comments!

DSCN0877%201280x1212_zpslzhq6xny.jpg

DSCN0880%201280x1195_zpseehjaowv.jpg

DSCN0882%201280x1001_zpse8ngf4l9.jpg

DSCN0905%201280x1003_zps94hi9sm4.jpg

DSCN0881%201280x1048_zps9wsi1pbc.jpg

DSCN0883%201280x960_zpsi6omrpis.jpg

DSCN0885%201280x1105_zpsxq3dylae.jpg

DSCN0886%201280x939_zpsqjnadle0.jpg

DSCN0867%201257x1280_zpsu7g7giyi.jpg

DSCN0893%201280x1055_zpsh5n49vtl.jpg

DSCN0912%20960x1280_zps3ckfahou.jpg

DSCN0910%201280x960_zpsez8w1t52.jpg

DSCN0906%201280x960_zps7vuao4cp.jpg

DSCN0901%201280x1167_zpsytaytdb0.jpg

DSCN0904%201280x960_zpswi6e4svu.jpg

DSCN0879%201280x960_zpsse76cvjp.jpg

Something a little smaller next time - it might even have tracks...

Take care,

Matt

• Like 28

That is a very good model Matt. It is a bit too big for me but it is good to look. I really like the second to last photograph because of the finish you have got on the aircrafts wing and the sheen on the metal casing o the bomb. It is the small things that make the difference.

Thank you for posting.

Wow, thanks all, you're very kind.

Very nice!

An impressive looking model :)

Much appreciated HL-10

Beautifully built beast Matt,paint and weathering superbly done. :D

Steve, it IS a beast, really glad you like the weathering, I was quite a bit bolder with it than usual, think that might stay for future builds!

My god :worthy: that is absolutely incredible. The paintwork and little details are so realistic that if you photoshopped it into a museum background no-one would be able to tell it was a scale model.

Regards

Tom

you're too kind Tom - the kit lends itself to a good finish, amazing stressed skin effects by Airfix.

That is a very good model Matt. It is a bit too big for me but it is good to look. I really like the second to last photograph because of the finish you have got on the aircrafts wing and the sheen on the metal casing o the bomb. It is the small things that make the difference.
Thank you for posting.

Thanks Bear Paw, quite pleased with the bombs, I've often left ordnance off, or not paid attention to it as much as the rest of the kit, again, something I'll do different now.

That does look like it could be the real thing!! :worthy: :worthy:
Beautiful paintwork and weathering. Excellent! Well done.

Thanks PlaStix - it's not far off in size!

Their not a shake a bake kit, but they do build up into one impressive model when you do it right, and yours is one of the very impressive ones :goodjob:

Colin, much appreciated - I've seen some great builds of this here and elsewhere, thanks.

Brilliant,..........what a fantastic Bombphoon! You`ve done an amazing job and I really enjoyed your RFI too!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony! - started yours yet? I'd love to see what you do with this, I'll look out for it...

That didn't turn out half bad, quite the opposite!

Terrific in all ways possible, but I must say that the very realistic weatering is what makes it so life-like.

It looks REAL!

Hey, thanks Christer, had a lot of fun weathering - just started to get back into armour modelling recently, think that influenced this weathering!

A very nice biggie Matt,do you mind if I suggest running a very sharp pencil
around the gun muzzles to highlight them with a metallic look.

For you Don - just done it!

Great looking model ,colour me green .

Thanks cocky

A tale of a real Canadian hero...F/L Harry Hardy, 441 Sqn RCAF.. A few years ago I built a 1:48 scale "Pulverizer IV and at our local flying club dinner, we had none other than F/L Harry Hardy as guest speaker. I brought my model and Harry very graciously signed the underside of the wing.

Later I had a CF-18 in need of finishing but the decals went TU and it sat on the shelf for a couple of years until one day while going through my decal collection I found a set of "Pulverizer IV" decals which fit the Hornet.

I entered the two models of Harry's bomber at the local Vancouver IPMS show and took a First in category...and Harry was there and we knocked back a couple of brew to celebrate .

Matt: I love your build. It matches the copy of a photo of Harry's aircraft dating back to 1945. Really great workmanship

Barney

• Like 1