My first Models in 33 Years! BoB 1/48 Airfix new tool Spitfire and Hurricane

Crikey!  What you've achieved after a 33 year break is astounding.  I might as well pack up and go home.  Is this your first attempt with a airbrush?  I've been trying for several years and have reached a complete impasse, not even getting close to this quality.  Btw, very interesting paint demarcation on the Spit's leading edge.  Only ever seen it on a Hurricane prior to this. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind comments - much appreciated.

Instead of participating in new GBs, I may better finish all the builds first I have started last year after finishing the pair here. :hmmm:

GB-2016-1.jpg

On 08/06/2017 at 9:56 PM, Meatbox8 said:

Crikey!  What you've achieved after a 33 year break is astounding.  I might as well pack up and go home.  Is this your first attempt with a airbrush?  I've been trying for several years and have reached a complete impasse, not even getting close to this quality.  Btw, very interesting paint demarcation on the Spit's leading edge.  Only ever seen it on a Hurricane prior to this. 

Just hang in there and practice airbrushing. Yes they are my first two models I airbrushed, but I had a one year battle with my airbrush first, painting lots of plastic spoons and experimenting with lots of paints. :wall:

I was keen using water based acrylic paint, but airbrushing the stuff was a challenge I never mastered properly. At the end I found lacquer based acrylic paint the way forward for me as this type of paint airbrushes very nicely and it gives me consistent results.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Thank you all for the kind comments - much appreciated.

Instead of participating in new GBs, I may better finish all the builds first I have started last year after finishing the pair here. :hmmm:

GB-2016-1.jpg

Just hang in there and practice airbrushing. Yes they are my first two models I airbrushed, but I had a one year battle with my airbrush first, painting lots of plastic spoons and experimenting with lots of paints. :wall:

I was keen using water based acrylic paint, but airbrushing the stuff was a challenge I never mastered properly. At the end I found lacquer based acrylic paint the way forward for me as this type of paint airbrushes very nicely and it gives me consistent results.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks for the encouragement.  I need to order a new needle for mine and then will persevere.  I have never been quite able to understand why one load of paint comes out in splatters and 'spiders, another doesn't come out at all and occasionally the odd mix will come out really nicely, all when I use the same mix, psi and so on.  I guess it's just trial and error - and patience and not letting my frustrations get the better of me. 

That's quite a production line you have going on there.  Looking forward to seeing some more of your finished products. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Peter

Just found this. Brilliant, inspiring work! The year of messing about painting spoons certainly paid off. The advantage of a 30 plus year break is that when you come back to it, the habits of youth that lead to rushed, poorly conceived and executed work are easy to break, if they've even lingered. At least, that was my experience. Anyway, well done. 

(But man, that pile of unfinished builds looks daunting.)

Cheers

-J

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 2:12 AM, Meatbox8 said:

That's quite a production line you have going on there.  Looking forward to seeing some more of your finished products. 

and none finished, but another 12 models added to the production line over the last 12 month instead :wall:

15 hours ago, Johnny1000 said:

Just found this. Brilliant, inspiring work! The year of messing about painting spoons certainly paid off.

Thanks Johnny. Painting spoons is indeed a great way to practice working with an airbrush - can highly recommend it. ;)

16 hours ago, Johnny1000 said:

The advantage of a 30 plus year break is that when you come back to it, the habits of youth that lead to rushed, poorly conceived and executed work are easy to break, if they've even lingered. At least, that was my experience. Anyway, well done.

That is a nice way seeing old age. There are unfortunately some negatives as well...

16 hours ago, Johnny1000 said:

(But man, that pile of unfinished builds looks daunting.)

At least I always have some models to work on when waiting for glue or paint to dry :D The real problem is that I love researching builds and building cockpits - I always finishing the cockpits - and by the time I get to the home stretch, temptation of researching a new build getting too strong....

9 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Absolutely stupendous....  I especially love the Hurricane.

Thanks. I did enjoy working with HGW positive rivets on the Hurricane.

9 hours ago, bruce bay said:

Crikey Moses... Those are really stunning. 

Thanks Bruce.

8 hours ago, CJP said:

Agree with everyone else's comments re your models after a 33 year break - no wonder your Sea Hawk GB is looking so good

CJP

Thanks Chris.

I have to say, I am humbled with all these kind comments. I learned a lot making these two models and it was a great journey. Unfortunately I rushed them a little at the end to finish them within the deadline of the Group Build. So some detail on the Hurricane undercarriage like brake lines are missing and I really have to rework the "sit" of the undercarriage on the Spitfire. But first I like to complete some of the many models I started.

Cheers, Peter

Suburb builds mate :clap: and will be an inspiration to what I'm planning very soon.  

Like you (back then) I only returned to the hobby 2yrs ago building armour, a bike and a car which is still on the bench.  I won't have built an aircraft in over 30yrs, that build will also be the first I post on this forum being new here two   

• Like 1

Brilliant builds...

I'm another "returnee" after taking a family raising/career building break! 

One question: you mention one is finished in acrylics, the other in enamel. On both the Dark Green looks "right", but the difference in the Dark Earth is noticeable. 

I know there are no absolutes, but the Hurricane looks spot on the Spitfire seems a bit light. 

It could just be me, but I'd be interested in other comments or observations. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Suburb builds mate :clap: and will be an inspiration to what I'm planning very soon.  

Like you (back then) I only returned to the hobby 2yrs ago building armour, a bike and a car which is still on the bench.  I won't have built an aircraft in over 30yrs, that build will also be the first I post on this forum being new here two   

Thanks Kev. I found it a totally new way of making models when I got back into it three years ago, but I enjoy using all these new materials and techiques. I hope you will have a good time building your first aircraft in over 30 years :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 224 Peter said:

Brilliant builds...

I'm another "returnee" after taking a family raising/career building break! 

One question: you mention one is finished in acrylics, the other in enamel. On both the Dark Green looks "right", but the difference in the Dark Earth is noticeable. 

I know there are no absolutes, but the Hurricane looks spot on the Spitfire seems a bit light. 

It could just be me, but I'd be interested in other comments or observations. 

Welcome back Peter. Yes the colours are different in hues. The Hurricane has the more accurate colours for sure and the Spitfire is a bit off. Actually the two Dark Earth are very similar (the one on the Spitfire is maybe very slightly lighter and for whatever reason has a yellow tint to it which isn't there when I look at the model) even though they do look different in the picture, but the difference is in the Dark green. The Dark Green on the Spitfire is too dark and this makes the Dark Earth look lighter. I hope this explanation makes sense.

Mixed-1.jpg

When it comes to colours I actually prefer a bit of variation. There are so many effects which have an influence on colours in the real world - manufacturer, batches, material it is painted on, application, aging, weather and so on, resulting that the "correct" colour varies a lot as well.

Cheers, Peter

Couldn't agree more about the colours changing.. there has been quite a discussion on RAF Dark Green: the original MAP Spec morphed into the present BS Colour, unchanged. 

So in theory Dark Green applied in 1938 should be exactly the same as Dark Green today. When new they are, but Dark Green ages badly, more so than Dark Earth and far more than MSG. 

Conclusion: if it looks right it is right...I notice that on your B&W comparisons with the originals the tonal contrast looks much the same. 

BTW, I was fascinated by the wavy leading edge line on the Spitfire, I've never seen it before and can't recall it being mentioned. 

As to the gloss patches over the gun port fabric I expect the Erks used the fastest drying clear dope over the fabric. 

• Like 1

Just seen this post as it got picked up again by others.

What can I say. Some of the finest modelling I have seen. The two of them look so very well finished, and the level of detail is stunning. I love the shades of green/brown/sky, they look so spot on to me.

I have had a similar long break from modelling and have "returned" within the last couple of years. I'd love to achieve this standard!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Couldn't agree more about the colours changing.. there has been quite a discussion on RAF Dark Green: the original MAP Spec morphed into the present BS Colour, unchanged. 

So in theory Dark Green applied in 1938 should be exactly the same as Dark Green today. When new they are, but Dark Green ages badly, more so than Dark Earth and far more than MSG. 

Conclusion: if it looks right it is right...I notice that on your B&W comparisons with the originals the tonal contrast looks much the same. 

BTW, I was fascinated by the wavy leading edge line on the Spitfire, I've never seen it before and can't recall it being mentioned. 

As to the gloss patches over the gun port fabric I expect the Erks used the fastest drying clear dope over the fabric. 

Yes indeed, if it looks right it is right or close enough is good enough. The wavy leading edge line on the Spitfire is indeed a mystery and I would love to know how it came about.

18 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Hi Peter, thanks for sharing these-  really like the detail eg landing lights and radiators. Also nice to have the histories of the real aircraft.  Well done.

Thanks Colin. It is maybe worthwhile checking out the Work in Progress threads of the two builds (link in first post) if you haven't done already.

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Just seen this post as it got picked up again by others.

What can I say. Some of the finest modelling I have seen. The two of them look so very well finished, and the level of detail is stunning. I love the shades of green/brown/sky, they look so spot on to me.

I have had a similar long break from modelling and have "returned" within the last couple of years. I'd love to achieve this standard!

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry for the compliments. Good to see that people do get back into scale modelling after lengthy brakes. I found to take small steps and not rushing things does help in making models.

3 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Wow those are very nice. Welcome back!

All the Best!

Don

Thanks Don, I am glad you like them.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1