My first Models in 33 Years! BoB 1/48 Airfix new tool Spitfire and Hurricane

33 years away from the hobby eh? Just think what your models would be like if you'd been developing these amazing skills all that time!!

Utterly, utterly brilliant modelling!

Stunning!

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

33 years out of the hobby and now this result. You are very gifted with talent! A wonderfull pair.

And great pictures too. The depth of field is amazing.

Edited by Wolfgang

's alright, I s'pose...

Ye Gods man, where did you spring from, fully formed?

Excellent pair of fighters!

Hi Mike. You made me love. I guess pure talent.

What a fantastic pair - like you've never been away! Really nicely done.

Thank you Doozer. I was surprised myself how well they came out.

33 years away from the hobby eh? Just think what your models would be like if you'd been developing these amazing skills all that time!!

Utterly, utterly brilliant modelling!

Stunning!

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Hi Stix. Now you did make me think. But I hope to make some more to develop my skills further. I have to say that model making is totally transformed to 33 years ago. Much more fun now.

Hi Peter, i watched these build up in the GB, and was impressed then. These new pictures confirm that you have produced two superb models. Well done! :goodjob:

Thank you Greg. There were moments I thought I took too much on. But the persistence payed dividends and I am very pleased with the result.

Wow, amazing. I really like what you've done. The weathering is perfect.

Thank you Leonl. The weathering was new territory for me. I like the way the Spitfire turned out, but the Hurricane could have done with a bit more. May give it another makeover.

Superb brace of British birds!

Well, the new Airfix kits do capture the shapes of these birds well.

Beautiful builds :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Steve.

33 years out of the hobby and now this result. You are very gifted with talent! A wonderfull pair.

And great pictures too. The depth of field is amazing.

Hi Wolfgang. Maybe just beginners luck. Having worked as a photographer for some time does help a little :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

Both fantastic builds, and looking at the progress thread, have to say you really went to town with all the extra work you put in.

That is interesting with the gloss around the gun patches, I don't think I've seen that modeled that way before. Never noticed this in period photos either, and will be keeping an eye out for that.

regards,

Jack

What a comeback! Amazing models, both of them and I really appreciate that restrained weathering and realistic exhausts.

At first glance, I thought that the worn away wingroot paint on the Spit looked a bit overdone, but since I've checked some period photos, i. a. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/RF-Q_Spitfire.jpg, which show a similar worn down effect. So, no objections. ;-)

A really impressive couple, these two.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Hello,Basilisk- They say the good things in life are worth waiting for.Your beautiful looking builds of the 'Hurricane ' and 'Spitfire' prove that and they're a credit to you.A fantastic return to the hobby.All the best,Paul.

I built this Spitfire and Hurricane alongside each other for the Battle of Britain Group Build III. These were my first models I finished in 33 years since I got back into the hobby last year. My previous build was an 1/72 Frog Heinkel He 162 which I made in 1982 - things were a bit simpler then... In addition, it was also the first time I used an airbrush, using acrylic and lacquer paints, using oils and pigments, riveting a model and making my own masks for painting the markings and Squadron codes. The main goal was to experiment with all these new materials available, which is one of the reason I used different paints for the two builds. I also wanted to have all these extra detail not standing out, but to be noticed when looking a bit closer.Spitfire Mk.I X4382 from No.602 SquadronKit: 1/48 Airfix A05127 new tool Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IExtras: Yahu Instrument Panel, HGW Harness and Rivets, Ultracast Seat, Eduard Exhaust, Wheels and Mask, Techmod, Ventura and Xtradecals for DecalsPaints: Mr. Paint Lacquer and otherMods: Improved Cockpit, Riveted, Lots of Extra Details in Radiators, Trailing Edges thinned, Markings painted and more. Aircraft: X4382 was delivered in early September to No 602 Squadron was flown by 11 kill ace Pilot Officer Hanbury, using it to destroy a Bf 110 near Beachy Head on 15 September 1940, half a Ju 88 over Tangmere on 21 September and a 2nd Ju 88 on 30 September near Selsey-Bembridge. In December, the aircraft was passed to No 610 Squadron for a few month before becoming an OTU aircraft. It was struck off charge in January 1945. The Work in Progress for the Spitfire can be found here X4382-151.jpgX4382-152.jpgX4382-153.jpgX4382-154.jpgX4382-155.jpgX4382-156.jpg And some closer looks.X4382-157.jpgX4382-158.jpgX4382-159.jpgX4382-150.jpgX4382-160.jpgX4382-161.jpgX4382-162.jpgX4382-163.jpgX4382-164.jpg602sqdn-spit1.jpgX4382-165.jpg074-602SQDN.jpgHurricane Mk.I P3039 from No.229 SquadronKit: 1/48 Airfix A05127 new tool Hawker Hurricane Mk.IExtras: Yahu Instrument Panel, HGW Harness and Rivets, Ultracast Exhaust, CMK Wheels, Eduard Canopy Mask, Aviaeology, Ventura and Aeromaster DecalPaints: Gunze Aqueous Hobby Color (Dark Brown and Green), Xtracrylix (sky) and othersMods: Improved Cockpit, Riveted, Lots of Extra Details in Radiators, Trailing Edges thinned, Landing lights reworked, Markings painted and more. Aircraft: P3039 was a Gloster build Hurricane Mk.I and was delivered on 12 of July to No 229 Squadron and Belgian pilot Ortmans using it to destroy a He 111 on 27 September 1940 and damaged another and damaged a Ju 88 on 18 October. The aircraft was passed on to No.312 Squadron in November 1940 and remained on strength with them until they re-equipped wit Mk.IIs in the spring of 1941, after which it was relegated to training duties with No 56 and No 55 OTU. P3039 was finally written off whilst flying with the latter unit on 27 May 1943. The Work in Progress for the Huricane can be found here P3039-151.jpgP3039-152.jpgP3039-153.jpgP3039-154.jpgP3039-155.jpgP3039-156.jpg And some closer looks.P3039-157.jpgP3039-160.jpgP3039-158.jpgP3039-159.jpgP3039-161.jpgP3039-162.jpgP3039-163.jpgP3039-164.jpgP3039-165.jpgP3039-166.jpghurricane2.jpgBoth togetherDSC09347.jpgMixed-1.jpgMixed-2.jpgMixed-4.jpgMixed-3.jpg I hope you liked the pictures if you made it this far. Any comments are much appreciated.Thanks for watching, Peter

Thank you for sharing 2 real beauties, especially in the 75th anniversary of the battle. Considering the year span of 33 years the quality of finish shows that your skills have not been lost. When I first saw your Spitfire I thought it was 1/32, not 1/48 it looks that detailed. The Hurricane is equally stunning in its own right, again giving the appearance of a larger scale. The only thing missing is a Defiant to make it a trio.

Well done on both these two, they look amazing.

Regards Adrian