1/48 Wolfpack F-5A "Skoshi Tiger" - completed

Well after much thought I decided on something nice and simple and looked what showed up in the post today! Wolfpack’s F-5A Shoshi Tiger, well a tarted up Kinetic model, and that was/is a beautiful model!

DSCF2945_zpsp2sr4cx8.jpg

I was lucky enough to find one in South Korea that was going for a price just too good to not get one. Even after postage it was nearly ½ the price of similar Kinetic/Wolfpack ones on evilBay…bargan!

So this will be close to a OOB build (we shall see on this point….) though I do have some Eduard PE interior bits on the way… and still thinking about the external PE set as well!

The model looks amazing with some lovely extra bits, though I only have two choices in the markings.

DSCF2949_zpsjkvewxnh.jpg

DSCF2950_zpspppgrj54.jpg

DSCF2951_zpsban3w8iz.jpg

ooooo so lovely!!!!!! :wub:

DSCF2952_zpsf4nunj9j.jpg

Actually it's the other colour scheme....took photo of the wrong one!

Well I have to get the Meteor out of the way first but I will be pushing quite hard to get this build out of the way as I will be in Europe for 4 weeks over the Xmas/NY period so no modelling for me!

I can’t wait to start this one!

• Like 8

That looks nice. I almost bought one in Telford for 20 pounds. Now I am sad I didn't.

Can't wait to see what you will do with it.

Cheers,

You should have, it's a nice model, though there are a few issues and it would be best to get one now! As I have a feeling later releases may have some issues unless they refresh their moulds, Kinetic or Wolfpack!

Well I have finally made a start to this build.

The whole build itself is actually quite a simple one that can be built up in modules, so that’s what I’ve done.

Anything and everything that can be pre-built I have started, I haven’t taken photo’s of everything, just the important areas. I have found some issues that will also relate to the Kinetic builds and will go over these as I find them.

The wing section is together, but there are a few issues. The general fit is very nice and I like the way they go together and hide the joins. But there are a couple of issues! Where the wings meet at the wing tips, the lower section does sit quite proud and dose require sanding down, I probably should have test fitted this and corrected it before I glued the wings together!! Also the leading edge of the leading edge extension is really poor and way too thick, this needs some work! I’ll take photos as I fix this problem.

DSCF1282_zpsilkbjuru.jpg

Next issue is the wing tip tanks. On the original release from Kinetic they had two LHS tip tanks, this was corrected in later moulds. However this later moulding have a new issue in that the new RHS tip tank in the wrong shape. The photo doesn’t show it too will but the new RHS tip tank is quite a bit thinner that the original ones. Though it’s not too noticeable, once you see it, it just bugs you! The only way to fix this is to modify one on the LHS tank to fit the RHS. Again I’ll post photos and details as I sort it out.

DSCF1283_zpsbueppxwv.jpg

The intakes, tail section and nose cone went together without too many issues, though not as nicely as I have hoped/expected!

The cockpit was the next bit to be done, the new Eduard interior bit were fitted. I haven’t quite decided whether to used the Wolfpack or kit/Eduard ejector seat yet. Will build/paint up both and decide towards the end.

DSCF1280_zpslpwlzten.jpg

DSCF1279_zpskyta9tdt.jpg

Once all the PE bits were on everything was given a undercoat of Model Master Aluminium then grey before a coat of flat clear. I have just the shading and Eduard panels to fit to finish, that should be a simple and quick task.

DSCF1288_zps4ldplbob.jpg

One thing I have noticed, while this is a really lovely mode, it appears that the moulds are getting a bit worn, as there is a lot more moulding and flash issues that I would have expected!! Something that does quite surprise me!

• Like 6

The wing section is together, but there are a few issues. The general fit is very nice and I like the way they go together and hide the joins. But there are a couple of issues! Where the wings meet at the wing tips, the lower section does sit quite proud and dose require sanding down, I probably should have test fitted this and corrected it before I glued the wings together!! Also the leading edge of the leading edge extension is really poor and way too thick, this needs some work! I’ll take photos as I fix this problem.

Next issue is the wing tip tanks. On the original release from Kinetic they had two LHS tip tanks, this was corrected in later moulds. However this later moulding have a new issue in that the new RHS tip tank in the wrong shape. The photo doesn’t show it too will but the new RHS tip tank is quite a bit thinner that the original ones. Though it’s not too noticeable, once you see it, it just bugs you! The only way to fix this is to modify one on the LHS tank to fit the RHS. Again I’ll post photos and details as I sort it out.

The intakes, tail section and nose cone went together without too many issues, though not as nicely as I have hoped/expected!

Good start Rich

I have been testing mine constantly while I was waiting for some etch. I have sanded the wings down so as the fit is better.

Havent put the tanks together yet so not seen the shape issues so will look forward to seeing how you fix it. (then I can just copy what you have done :whistle: )

I have noticed that the fit on the kinetic kit is "not the best". I think it is slightly over complicated and that causes a few fit issues. I know that it was probably done to maximise the different variants you could produce from one mould.

Also after 'test' fitting the canopy raising arms it may have been easier to leave the part that attaches to the canopy off as its very close to the fuselage when fitted and may cause issues when trying to mask.

Havent put the tanks together yet so not seen the shape issues so will look forward to seeing how you fix it. (then I can just copy what you have done :whistle: )

well I'll probably cheat on that one and take one of the LHS tanks and re-scribe it as a RHS one, I know the wing tip shape is already moulded in but a wee but of work with the Dremel will sort that out. I may have to use a wee bit of filler to tidy up.

Ok I’m a wee bit late with this update, everything to follow was done earlier in the week, plus I have been trying to finish off the Meteor.

I know I keep harping on about this but the quality of the moulding throughout the model is actually quite poor and vague in some places with the fit….well lots of limited run models have much better fit!

Ok a couple of poor areas are on the nose section and tail section. In both these areas you need to add panels to suit the version you’re build, normally no big issue. But in this case they don’t fit very well at all and leave very noticeable gaps and they are recessed too much, you need to fit spaces under them! They’re not huge issues at all, just a pain in the bottom to sort out!

DSCF1300_zpsluyprz0m.jpg

DSCF1298_zpsxyw2f2qg.jpg

DSCF1299_zpsuikcntzj.jpg

Ok that aside I pretty well finished the cockpit and glued the nose section together.

DSCF1301_zpsayu3zfgr.jpg

DSCF1302_zpsvvnoz3dt.jpg

DSCF1303_zpsuxjaxsba.jpg

I still haven’t decided about the ejector seat, the kit one with Eduard PE bits looks sort of ok, but the Wolfpack looks better in shape…but not with the moulded seat belts! I may end up removing them and fitting the Eduard ones!

DSCF1304_zpsvl9xopjw.jpg

With the Meteor almost done I should be able to spend more time on this build, would like to get it done before I go away on holidays….we’ll see.

• Like 6

That cockpit looks great Rich, very convincing.

It seems all the modern 1/48 F-5's are giving us one or two issues with the fit of variant specific parts, I know my AFV F-5F is but so far they are not too bad.

Craig.

Unfortunately i had to go back to work before I could update this build. But there are even more issues with this beast!

The elevators.....gosh knows what they were thinking when they did the master moulds for this model! The leading edge is flat as in completely flat and about 1-1.5 mm thick, not even a slightest hint of profile!! That'd would out to around 52 mm or 2" think in real life (in real life the thickest part of the elevator would barely be 6" thick), bet that would cause some drag! The trailing edges were the same though not quite as thick, and they did the same, again not so thick on the wing leading edges and LEX.

Even in the darkest earliest days of modelling for me I haven't come across something quite so poorly done. I'm really thinking now I should have go with the Classic Airframes version, the only real issues you have with them is getting the resin bits to fit!

As far as this build goes I'd rate this model along side the Grand Phoenix Fury I built for build quality! I probably ranted about the same with that build about the model....and that one was crap with a warped fuselage!

As convincing as decals can look, they will never match that, lovely job on the pit!

I loved them for the fact you didn't have to be a good painter to have a lovely cockpit, I use to hate painting cockpits. The old Airfix cockpit decals were pretty plan, just black & white, or for the really old stuff you had to cut the instrument panel out of the instruction sheet! Oh dear now I'm really showing my age!

Then Esci came along with beautifully printed colour decals, modelling heaven I thought!

I still think they suit certain models, and the F-5 especially so, they just look so nice and right on the old Esci 1/72nd F-5's. Am really glad members are using them....brings back great memories of builds of old!

• Like 3

Lovely work on the internals.....

Nice progress......is this a true Wolfpack mold do u know? Lines look a tad deep.....in my opinion......but that's just me....and your building skill shows great progress n nice work

Rgds

I loved them for the fact you didn't have to be a good painter to have a lovely cockpit, I use to hate painting cockpits. The old Airfix cockpit decals were pretty plan, just black & white, or for the really old stuff you had to cut the instrument panel out of the instruction sheet! Oh dear now I'm really showing my age!

Then Esci came along with beautifully printed colour decals, modelling heaven I thought!

I still think they suit certain models, and the F-5 especially so, they just look so nice and right on the old Esci 1/72nd F-5's. Am really glad members are using them....brings back great memories of builds of old!

Usually I build my kits in flight and initially I went around purchasing aftermarket cockpits/etch sets but now after just using decent decals a few times, it is pretty much the same looking through thick 1/72 canopies. I agree they can look a lot better than most people would think! :)

Not sure you'd have liked the CA kit: there was a very interesting build of a Norwegian aircraft in an issue of MAM and the author (Nils Mathisrud of Vingtor, who also posts here) found several accuracy issues, some quite serious (like the size of the wings)

by the sounds of it there is a real need for someone to do a proper release of this aircraft in 1/48th, and maybe an update in 1/72. I am a bit surprised that Hasegawa didn't released a 1/48th version, they had ones in 1/72 & 1/32, though those are getting a wee bit long in tooth now!

Maybe we could try and convince Zoukei Mura to do one, now that would be nice....if a little expensive!

For an aircraft that was and still is very popular and successful has seen a service throughout the world, it does seem to have been forgotten about by the manufactures! But I bet we can all name similar aircraft that have been forgotten about!

the extra bits ...but no Bob's! :D

Well, that would explain your rapid progress, then :hypnotised:

I have to say, having first of all started looking at kits, and secondly gone out on the ol' limb by announcing my alleged participation, I'm starting to feel that growing enthusiasm. Hope my reasonable first impressions aren't superseded by less happy second impressions (of Kinetic)!

bob

EDIT: Having just had a close look at my A kit, the trailing edges (flap/aileron) are nice and sharp. The leading edge of the tailplane, though, has the square-cut shape you described! The wing leading-edge flap is somewhere in between, with a slight bit of hangar rash that'll come out if I sand them to be a bit sharper.

Edited by gingerbob

Well this is sort of a two part update as I had done a wee bit more work before I went away but forgot to write it up……so a double today.

So first up the wing and LEX edges. I have been banging on a bit about these because they are/were so terrible! Sorry this first photo is a bit blurred but you can sort of see the issue, both sections are completely blunt.

DSCF1324_zpsjqnlqazc.jpg

Here is a before and after of the leading edge slats, the elevators leading edges were worse!

DSCF1325_zpskkioekep.jpg

Now this looks a lot better.

DSCF1323_zpsm1bogagw.jpg

So do the elevators now.

DSCF1332_zpsvqlapgyu.jpg

Next on the to-do list was the wing tip tanks. As mentioned the original model provides two LHS tanks by mistake (two sprues are identical, it just so happened that the tip tanks were on these), in a later release they provided a new RHS tip tank. However this tank is not quite right either! As you can sort of see in the photo the new RHS tank (in the middle) is quite a bit thinner…..well it is too me and so bugs me now I know it.

DSCF1326_zpsf1qsjsfq.jpg

So the easiest thing to do was to turn one of the LHS tanks into a RHS one, a fairly simple task. First the tank was re-scribed for a RHS tank, then the cut out and wing tip were shaped so that the tank would sit/fit correctly.

DSCF1327_zpsrbsmvf2y.jpg

There are some gaps but a wee bit of sprue and filler will sort that out.

DSCF1330_zpshnrtuob8.jpg

Again this looks much better, just a little tidy up and she's done.

DSCF1335_zpsjvzu6ipg.jpg

At this stage she is starting to look like a real F-5, the slats and flaps on mine will be out. I do so love the lines of this aircraft.

DSCF1328_zps95aurfaz.jpg

Right part two of this update!

The intakes were cleaned up and painted inside, I didn’t actually worry about the engine face as it is so far back and dark inside you won’t see a thing. The rear of the front section of the fuselage had sprue spacers add so it would fit nicely with the rear section. Seems to be a must for this model as everyone else is doing the same thing!

DSCF1333_zpsnvcrfxvj.jpg

Next up the inner pylons were fitted, no real dramas other than one of them was poorly moulded and needed quite a bit of cleaning up!

DSCF1334_zps76wbxzbe.jpg

The outer pylons are another problem with this model, as they are you cannot have the slats lowered! The need to have the “dog tooth” you see in the photos for the slat to drop down. It is sort of moulded in the pylons but needs to be removed, even if the slats are up! A word of caution though the “dog tooth” is not square to the pylon, it must be cut on an angle to match the wing leading edge angle!

DSCF1331_zpsafytnsts.jpg

Ok then fit it all together to see how she looks…even better.

DSCF1337_zps4kcrsuvi.jpg

DSCF1338_zpspln78isi.jpg

Ok last part of the update and one that consumed quite a lot of time, the underside panel between the intakes and the forward and rear sections of the fuselage…………..well it doesn’t fit! The fit is really poor here and required (for me anyway) an awful lot of test fitted and modifying to get everything to fit. The instructions want you to fit this panel before you fit the intakes….insane! The intakes require a bit of work to get them to fit nicely with the forward fuselage, having this lower section fitted won’t allow you to do this!

DSCF1340_zpsg8nqc3ug.jpg

After about an hours work this is as good as I can get it, some gaps, but everything including the rear fuselage sections actually fits quite nicely. It’s not glued in at the moment, it will sit better when glued in.

DSCF1341_zpsnuhlp6mp.jpg

So I would recommend doing the fuselage this way;

1, finish what you can of the front section..leave off the nose for now

2, finish off the rear fuselage section, again leave off the elevators.

3, glue the wings to the rear fuselage section.

4, clean up & paint the intakes and fit to the forward fuselage section

5, leave everything to dry solid for a day or so

6, now fit the underside panel to the forward section

7, finally once everything is dried, join the two sections together.

In each of these stages test fit everything a million times to make sure it all fits nicely before you glue anything!!

If in doubt, don’t glue it, recheck it!! It’s almost like building a resin model, you don’t get a second chance once you glue it!

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I should be getting ready to paint her….very exciting!

• Like 2

I know this is totally off subject but this awesome parcel arrived today in the post....well I picked it up from the post office!

So there are a couple of more RAAF projects on the list!

DSCF1342_zpsfqyfxrte.jpg

• Like 1

Nice progress Rich. I know what you mean about that plate. Mine wasn't a great fit either. I can't remember how I placed it but it wasn't to bad. The worst fit for me was that I got a big ridge near the airbrake. I mostly sanded that down.

Edit: I did glue the front halfs and back halfs of the fuselage together first so that fit was good. But you should have doen that very early in the build.

Here is the link to my build at the lesser build air force GB. Maybee it helps.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972996-dutch-northrop-nf-5a-freedomfighter-finished-10-04-2015/

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Some great work especially in the cockpit and wonderful assistance too.

Question, do the ailerons droop with the flaps when these surfaces are deployed?

Just posted an answer on your thread, but basically yes they can be drooped along with the speed brakes if you like. Plus the inner and outer flaps don't have to be down together, just the outer ones can be and the inner ones up. So by the looks of it there is actually no wrong way to set the flaps & slats.