1/48 Tamiya Mosquito Update 7/1/16 - FINISHED

GREG DESTEC

Here is my KUTA entry. Tamiya have the deserved reputation for producing some of the best engineered kits on the market so it is to my eternal shame that i have one unfinished/uncompleted in the stash. Looking in the box i have appeared to have taken a scatter gun approach by building a few sub assemblies then giving up the ghost. So its time to put things right and get things going again. Here's where i am......

IMG_2163_zpstmlswig2.jpg

IMG_2164_zps6kititqa.jpg

As you can see a small pile of bits and pieces, albeit in not too bad shape. I shall endevour to revisit the instructions and get back in the saddle (again!)

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 7

Hi Greg. It does look like a very nice kit and it looked like you were doing a cracking job with it when you stopped. I look forward to seeing this in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix, having revisited this one i'm puzzelled why i stopped it the first time around :mental: I have done a bit more on it since my first post and its going together as you would expect from Tamiya. I hope to post up a few pics by the weekend. Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Hi Greg,look forward to this I have had the PR version for over five year,s its been in and out of it,s box regularly but I never get

anything done hopefully this might inspire me to finally get it started!

• Like 1

Hi Greg,look forward to this I have had the PR version for over five year,s its been in and out of it,s box regularly but I never get

anything done hopefully this might inspire me to finally get it started!

Hi Steve, its a nice kit, and is going together well. Hopefully watching this one progress will prompt you to get your one out of the stash :hobbyhorse:

Got a bit more done today...Cockpit complete, and installed in to fuselage. This all went together without a problem, and shows how cramped the Mossie is for the crew. I did try placing the pilot in per the instructions but it looks like he would be too close to the gun sight. Wings and engine nacells are assembled, and i have test fitted the main components. The wing not test fitted is not fitting well, but this is probably an issue on my part. Photos are hopefully self explanatory. I'm going to make the Banff Strike Wing option with the under wing rockets.

IMG_2183_zpsfm9ac81e.jpg

IMG_2184_zpsj7hm2l4j.jpg

IMG_2185_zpsgljb5tkv.jpg

IMG_2186_zpsfi7njjcu.jpg

IMG_2187_zpstq8uziem.jpg

IMG_2188_zpsgnee6cln.jpg

IMG_2189_zps9z19rokw.jpg

IMG_2190_zpsjpm1c0uj.jpg

Feel free to comment....!

• Like 8

Coming on a treat Greg,cockpit looks very nice indeed.

Thanks Steve, theres quite a bit of detail in there, which will mostly disapear once the thing is all buttoned up but it was nice to work with.

Good job with all the internals Greg. Very nice! :thumbsup:

Thanks Stix. I'm still wondering anout adding seatbelts, which are provided as decals, as i said to Steve, not much will be seen once the fuselage is closed. Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Please fell free to ignore me but - I'd put them in if you think they're fairly easy enough to install. Me personally - I'd want to know they were there even though the canopy is closed. But I am a bit odd that way!! As I said - feel free to ignore me.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Please fell free to ignore me but - I'd put them in if you think they're fairly easy enough to install. Me personally - I'd want to know they were there even though the canopy is closed. But I am a bit odd that way!! As I said - feel free to ignore me.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix. Fair comment re the seatbelts, they do add a nice bit of detail. My previous attempts at adding these have not been the best. Thats why i thought about adding the pilot figure. I do have a Reheat seatbelts kit that has PE and material to assemble your own belts but i got it a LONG time ago when my eyesight was alot better, and don't know how i'd cope with it now! I will add "something" rather than leave the empty seats! Cheers Greg.

• Like 1

I like a good masking tape seat belt, like in your French mozzie's?!

This is looking very nice indeed, love the details your highlighting, it will turn out treat.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Thanks for the support mate :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Going well Greg. The Banff Strike Wing with rockets will make for a good build. Are you using Aeromaster Decals? Joe

• Like 1

Going well Greg. The Banff Strike Wing with rockets will make for a good build. Are you using Aeromaster Decals? Joe

Hi Joe, i have been looking at alternative decals but couldn't find any alternatives so i was going to go with the one in the kit, which is NEoD from 143 Squadron. Tamiya transfers can be a bit dubious quality wise when they get old so if you know about another set some where i'd be interested. Talking of decals i used the seatbelt ones with the kit by cutting them out and gluing then in place on their backing paper. The results are not as good as PE but will look ok through the cockpit glass. Cheers Greg

• Like 3

Hi Joe, i have been looking at alternative decals but couldn't find any alternatives so i was going to go with the one in the kit, which is NEoD from 143 Squadron. Tamiya transfers can be a bit dubious quality wise when they get old so if you know about another set some where i'd be interested. Talking of decals i used the seatbelt ones with the kit by cutting them out and gluing then in place on their backing paper. The results are not as good as PE but will look ok through the cockpit glass. Cheers Greg

Hi Greg, I'm not aware of any alternative decals for your Mosquito that are still available. I bought my decals when Tamiya first released the kit. If I remember correctly, the one in the kit had two colour spinners. One of the lads up the club makes belts like you intend to do, they look very good. Cheers, Joe :)

• Like 2

Looking good so far Greg. Hope those decals behave for you as the Banff Strike Wing machines are a great subject and allow for plenty weathering should you so wish.

• Like 1